Mothering Forum banner

Will Tigertext texting keep my kids secure?

692 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  whatsnextmom 
#1 ·
I got a 14 and 16 year old, and they are always texting on their phones. They organize a lot of get togethers with their friends and text our address and other info. I know that there is a app used by doctors that is for HIPAA patient data.

Can apps be used by my kids so that their messages won't stay on their phones or their friends so that if they are lost or stolen the info won't get in the wrong hands?

#2 ·
Well, there is snap chat. They send a message, the message is only available to the sender for a few seconds and then it's erased. However, it makes me uncomfortable as I suspect it's largely used to send inappropriate pictures and texts (and like my DD 16 has mentioned, it's easy for the other party to take a screen shot and have it forever.... best just not to send that sort of stuff.)

If your child has a contact list on their phone like most do, then even without the texts, the info is available. Really, an app hiding texts would be easy to get around if someone really wanted your info.

Your best bet is to have them lock their phone with a password so people can't get into the phone if it's found or stolen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.