#1 of 14 Old 09-13-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need some unbaised, honest opinions.

My oldest son is 11.

Middle son is 9.

Youngest daughter is 2.

Life with three kids has me at a maximum mental and physical stress 99% of the time.

With out a novella worth of information I was in the best shape of my life prior to getting pregnat with our third.

I experienced a host of physical complications one of which is a 2nd degree slippage of one of the disks in my back.

The only thing I can do for stress and managing the constant pain in my back is exercise.

My youngest daughter likes to sleep with her older brothers and sleeps solid through the night until we wake them between 6:30 and 7 AM.

I have considered the option of leaving the 3 kiddos at home asleep from 5AM-6AM while I go to my local gym which is less than 1/4 of a mile from my house with a phone on speed dial set with a specific ring tone....I think I could literally run home in less time than it would take to drive...well wait...maybe I used to be able to make that claim : ).  Put it this way, it is close you do not get out of 2nd gear....

Is this totally crazy and irresponsible of me to even consider?    To have the oldest call me as soon as baby wakes up? (Which by the way when she does wake up she is happy as a clam to just hang with her brothers.)

I am starting to get very depressed at my physical state of back pain all the time and always seem to be at the short end of the fuse because I do nothing for myself all day and need a physical release that does not involve carting the baby along with me....

I just need some non judgemental opinions and this is the best place I know to find them.

With grace along this path,

#2 of 14 Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I babysat my two little sisters starting when I was 10yo.  My mother would disappear for days at a time.  It was a different world then, a world where no one called CPS on their neighbors.

I think your plan is totally reasonable, but I wouldn't risk it.  Can you do a DVD in your living room, or maybe instead of paying for the gym, can you put a machine in your home?

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 14 Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think a 11 yo. is a little young to be babysitting a 2 yo., especially if some emergency happened (fire, etc.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 14 Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 PM

It really depends on the child. I know a family of five girls, the eldest 3 are amazingly responsible and very involved in caring for their younger siblings and have been since I first met them when the eldest was only 12. I totally trusted her to babysit my kids. But they are exceptional and, in such a large family, took on childcare responsibilities from a young age.

I started leaving my DD at home for brief, local trips when she was about 9. Now we leave both kids under the same circumstances (11 and 9), but honestly I would be very wary of leaving a 2 year old. They do things like choke, stick their fingers in sockets, etc. You know your children and if they have been very involved in caring for your 2 year old then maybe it is okay. As I said, it really depends on the child.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 14 Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My concern is that the 2 yo could wake up and get into trouble without waking the older kids, and that could be a problem.  I might be more willing to give this a try at the 2 yo's nap time, or put the 2 yo to bed in the evening, leave the older kids with a movie or something and hit the gym then.  Or find a gym with childcare, and leave the older kids home on their own (all the gym childcare I've ever seen tops out at age 8), and hit the gym with the baby.

I've considered putting exercise equipment at home - it would be comparatively easier - but it would be expensive to get the things I most often use at the gym, and it would take up a ton of space.  Also, I don't love the notion of a treadmill or a weight stack that a toddler can get at.  Those things are not made to be childproofed, and I heard an ad for Shriner's Burn Hospital a few years ago that claimed that treadmills are a leading cause of burn-type injuries to small children.  And the exercise should basically be considered physical therapy necessary to keep you functioning, so I don't think you can skip it. 

#6 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 AM

I think it seems reasonable.  I would certainly try it once and see how it works.  Then reevaluate before moving forward.

Hope the medical stuff works itself out.

btw, Waimea Beach is one of our favorites in the summer!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#7 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I would be worried about a nosy neighbor calling cps but other than that I see no problem. If you have a YMCA in your are they have kid watch and kid and teen rooms along with great scholarships to make it affordable.
#8 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

We live in a very very small town...3 stop lights. My neighbors are all like family, I am very blessed, so a call to CPS or cops would not happen. We all have a open door policy with all of our kids.: )
#9 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I dont have a problem with it.  You know your kids best and 11 yr olds are all over the map developmentally and responsibitly but I totally undrestand that need for 'me time' and the need to get out with out the kids.  As long as the kids have a way to reach you if something happens I dont see an issue with it.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waimeagirl View Post

We live in a very very small town...3 stop lights. My neighbors are all like family, I am very blessed, so a call to CPS or cops would not happen. We all have a open door policy with all of our kids.: )

In that case, go for it!

Bring back the old MDC
#11 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Do it! Our kids are capable of way more than we think they are. As long as they know you will be doing it and you walk them through what to do if x y z happens and you have your phone with you... no problemo. A healthy mom is so important and the extremely remote chance of something happening is so low... and besides, an 11yo is smart. The added sense of responsibility your 11yo will get will add to his confidence, too. This is an easy way to build that in him.

Great opportunity!

#12 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sounds ok to me...I've done similar setups at least from the time older dd was about 10. We do have a 'physically handicapped but mentally sharp' grandma here as backup, so it might have been even younger with a sleeping sib.
#13 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 PM

I was babysitting other peoples kids at 11. So this seems reasonable to me.

Is there a babysitting class he could take at a local Y or community center? He could even do an online babysitting class if you wanted more confidence that he'd know what to do - http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/program-highlights/babysitting-caregiving. The red cross class I just linked says it's designed for kids 11 and up.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#14 of 14 Old 09-14-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mahalo to all you mamas fortaking the time to offer your opinion/ideas!
JollyGG awesome idea! I am gonna look at the link after soccer today.
And do a few dry runs with son running different scenario. My trainer is a dear friend an said she would take responsibility of the phone while I train so if I happen to be out doing sprints or something a call would not be missed.
Again thank you for the honest feedbAck. I am gonna take baby steps to testing sons commitment and comfort level and inch forward in a positive light.
mahalo, Mahalo, MAHALO!

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page