"Well Child" check-ups - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

It's that time of year that the school system requires a physical exam to be on file for my very healthy 12 year old. We have chosen not to vaccinate, so that's one less reason to go. Our insurance is crap, and the cost to me is ridiculous (just to be told he's healthy, active and well within their percentile ranges for a 12 year old). That's another reason not to go. The pattern through the years is that every time we go to the doc, my son ends up sick within a week or two. Every. Time. That's yet another reason to say, NO!
And really, barring an emergency, I just don't do doctors. I just don't plain trust 'em.
Yet it seems I am required to take him to one. Is there any way around this? 
Curious.

Em

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

200.610: Religious Objection
In accordance with M.G.L. c. 71, s. 57, a student shall be exempt from physical examinations 
or screenings on religious grounds, upon written request of the parent or legal guardian, 
except with respect to communicable diseases. 
200.620: Waivers of Requirements 
Except as provided by law, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health shall have the 
discretionary power to waive any of 105 CMR 200.100 through 200.500 upon written request. 
(A) The request for a waiver must be accompanied by an alternative plan to the regulation that 
would adequately protect the health of the school child. 
(B) Waiver requests shall not be based upon reductions in the budget for school health or 
granted on such basis. 
(C) Waivers may be granted for periods up to one year and may be renewed upon 
demonstration of improvement in school health programs. 

#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I think most states have some sort of waiver. I do believe in vaccines and doctors but I signed one for my daughter in kindergarten because one of her vaccines was a month earlier than the school wanted and they said it didn't count. I wasn't about to have her re-vaccinated so, I signed the waiver and it was no big deal.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I hear what you are saying and am leaning the same way myself. DH says no more flu vaccines for him ever after he got some kind of reaction last year. And we've read some scary things about the cervical-cancer HPIV shot and reduced future fertility -- not something I want to decide for my child.

Anyway, how about a naturopath? We get yearly check-ups from one who does applied kinesthetics and nutritional counseling. It's really helped us to avoid colds, clear up acne, etc. I also take the boys to quarterly chiropractic adjustments which helps their immune systems. I don't see why these check-ups aren't as valid as any other kind. To me, a child's spiritual and psychological health are just as important as the physical and greatly impact it. Why do schools and health agencies treat our children like machines? Or am I off in saying that?

If some outside organization, like a school, were pushing me, I'd probably take the kids to a health fair and get them a $25 chem panel and CBC just to check off that yes, all is okay.

Do you have public health options?

peace,

teastaigh

#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't vax but I do keep up with yearly exams. I don't do them BC I "have to" or BC the school told me to and I don't feel that the school has any right to our private medical records, so I exempt ds from the physical every year.

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page