A letter every mom of a teenage daughter should read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I normally would have posted this in the Parenting News forum, but I think it's more appropriate here, in the Preteens and Teens forum.

I've had my rebellious moments as a teenager girl, and I think it's normal for every young girl to go through that phase. However, what I'm seeing in pop culture these days is quite disturbing. I cannot image how it must be to a mom of a teenage daughter today and have to witness all the sexualization and self-objectification of teenage pop stars that young girls take on as role models. 

Reading Sinead O'Connor's open letter to Miley Cyrus today was a breath of fresh air. I am not a feminist either, but her letter is really spot on. Someone had to come up and say it. And I'm glad and grateful Sinead stepped up and did. 

Quote from the letter: 

"Nothing but harm will come in the long run, from allowing yourself to be exploited, and it is absolutely NOT in ANY way an empowerment of yourself or any other young women, for you to send across the message that you are to be valued (even by you) more for your sexual appeal than your obvious talent. [...] Whether we like it or not, us females in the industry are role models and as such we have to be extremely careful what messages we send to other women. [...] I’ve been in the business long enough to know that men are making more money than you are from you getting naked. Its really not at all cool. And its sending dangerous signals to other young women."

You can read the entire letter and more here: (Disclaimer: some NSFW terms.) 

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/10/02/sinead-oconnor-miley-cyrus-open-letter/

fruitfulmomma likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've been kind of following all the fallout from that.  I have a teen daughter, but she seems kind of disgusted at Miley Cyrus' performance at the VMA which I guess she heard about or saw on youtube, possibly.  It's interesting, we haven't talked about it much because she generally isn't that in touch with pop music and all the stuff around it.

#3 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My DD is only 10 but she was also horrified and stopped watching or purchasing anything that had Miley Cirus in it. This is tgr first thing she has taken a stand on without my input so I was very proud.
#4 of 6 Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daugher is 13 and was also disgusted by the Miley performance.  I did talk to her about the Sinead O'Connor letter as well.  I applaud Sinead for the letter and hope Miley and her camp (as well as other "artist") don't blow it off but really think about what she had written.

#5 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

hmmm. dunno. this letter seems to be a pontification from Sinead who while she wasnt too sexual herself certainly had her days too. so in a sense i feel its the pot calling the kettle black.

why is she singling out MC? is it coz MC is still very young?

if anything - MC reminds me a lot of Madonna. 

dunno. i have a 11 year old. she just ignores MC. what dd is most mad at is some teen tv show with girls doing hair and makeup. she says it makes little children want to do makeup and hair and all of that. she feels that show is v. inappropriate to advertise during other kids shows. 

sillysapling likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My oldest is a 16 year old girl. Miley's VMA performance isn't a big deal in our house. TV, movies, all media, my kids understand it isn't real life. I didn't much care for Sinead's letter. Since it wasn't sent privately, I took it about as seriously as I took Miley's performance. All of these actions are to generate publicity, nothing more. I really enjoyed Miley on SNL.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Tags
Teens , Whats Your Virtue Lip Bliss Lip Gloss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page