preteens and grains/carbs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

do you notice your preteens eating a lot of grain?

i researched this and discovered growing requires a LOT of energy. with all the hormone change and puberty humans consume the most at this time. 

dd who is usually a v. good eater - boy oh boy is eating mostly carbs. her carb intake has blown the roof. mostly rice. some flour. 

i just love how their tastes change. the last two years dd was v. v. v. sensitive to bitter. 

and now she loves bitter. she actually really enjoys coffee with milk and sugar mainly for the bitter after taste. 

i am not worried about her carb intake. i am just astonished by how much she can eat and her food habits change.

do you see that with ur teens and preteens.  

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes I see this too! My 12 year old (almost 13) dd seems to need carbs like she needs air to breathe. I let her listen to her body as long as she eats a reasonable amount of healthy foods, too.

I remember when my cousins- two boys- were teens. My aunt was literally cooking all day long and couldn't keep them fed. Once she made a huge platter of like 12 meat-filled fried burritos for dinner. They came by and ate all but 2 of them before dinner had been served. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mom complained that her food bill went up when all 3 of us girls left and only my 13 yo brother was home.  I'm still preparing the same amount of food I did when there was 5 of us and now there is only 3.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#4 of 4 Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 AM
AAK

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I haven't paid much attention to where the extra calories are coming from.  However, my oldest two have started eating SO MUCH more this past year.  They are three years apart, but my second child has always been faster (development) and my oldest has always been slightly slower than average (growth development).  Therefore, they BOTH started eating a TON last spring.  I am not worried at all, but the grocery bill has been $$$$.  Also, I had to get used to cooking greater portions--I was running out of food at dinner.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page