Holiday giving -- gifts for teachers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My daughter started Middle School this year and I am trying to plan ahead for all of our Holiday giving.  Do I give a gift to each of her teachers?  That would make 7 teachers. 

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We gave presents for teachers in preschool and Grammar school, but stopped in Middle School unless there was a teacher who was really special to any of my children. I used to often bake quick breads for gifts and busy teachers said they were always happy to have a day or two of breakfast and snacks for their families. On occasion I did purchase gifts for teachers.

But, when my kids got into Middle School, it was expensive to buy presents and a huge work load to my baking to bake seven or eight more breads or batches of cookies. You can maybe bake a big batch of cookies or a cake or quick bread and make sure it gets into the teacher's lounge, and make one for the people in the office, too. I do this a lot, I get bakery boxes and fill them with cookies or bake a few breads and make sure they get to the places where the teachers, principal and other staff will find them.

Also, my kids asked me NOT to buy presents for their teachers in Middle School. "Mo-oom. nobody does that!" They didn't seem to object to the baked treats for the whole staff, though.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#3 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM

I'd ask your dd what she wants to do.  It seems like MS is the time many families stop giving teacher gifts.  Both of my dds have wanted to give their teachers gifts in MS however, so we do.  We usually make a huge batch of spiced nuts and put them in individual jars w/a nice ribbon tied around it.  Sometimes my girls have wanted to bake cookies to go along with the nuts.  I think at this age your dd is old enough to help make a gift if she wants to give it, or do it all herself if she so desires.  Last year my oldest gave all of her teachers little lanterns.  She filled jars w/colored sand, added a candle, and attached a wire loop to the top for a handle.  Very cute, inexpensive, useful and different.  

#4 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

My DC has had a community of teachers since 2nd grade. I think we did gifts for her core subject teachers for at least one year but then I got tired of all the collections. In DC's small school it was just too much. They participated in community outreach, fundraising, teacher appreciation week, charity, you name it!  Gifts at the holiday season/end of the year was just too much and, honestly, after getting a beautifully written thank you note from one of her teachers, I started to wonder if teachers even appreciated the trade-off of having to show gratitude for all these token gifts. 

My DC is new to middle school this year and I don't know what the expectations from the community are. Thanks for the reminder!  

I suppose at this new school we may go with the flow for this first year. I hope our class parent arranges a collection for a group gift - which I think is preferable to 23 $5 gifts. ;-)  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 5 Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM

There are two teachers in each of my son's academic classrooms.  Last year, my son made origami gifts for the main teachers and a couple of the aides (and one for the principal and nurse.)

He may want to make something this year but only one staff member sent a thank you so I don't think they appreciated his gift (even though the gifts were actually really nice.)  

I'm not sure what we are going to do this year.  We may go with jewelry tags for the lead teachers.  They're good for men/women so it would be pretty easy.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page