Away-from-home high school options: update in post 28 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

sorry i did not write my thoughts fully on the emancipation issue. my thoughts were if a 13 or 14 year old CAN get emancipation, then why cant your 15 year old do what you are setting her up to do. in other words yes a mature 15 year old can live by herself ocassionally for a couple of days - if that. 

actually emancipation can happen from both - parents and foster parents. if you can prove your parents were neglectful and/or that you can take care of yourself and that you have been taking care of yourself. 

i agree the double standards of society really get to me. 

i am glad the weekends are negotiable. i like your philosophy on this whole situation. i can see why she is who she is. :)

what i am sad to learn is that schools have not changed much in the last 70 years. how you guys are all describing rural schools is exactly how one of my 85 year olds described his high school experience in a midwest rural school.

totally OT, because i know our community college is involved in a large scale project, i would think there would have been more movement with online classes for those in remote areas - at least in the high school grade level. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#32 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Totally no reason to post this but for my own thoroughness: our school district has 269 students, K-12, 127 of those in 7-12th grades  Had to look that up. 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#33 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

what i am sad to learn is that schools have not changed much in the last 70 years. how you guys are all describing rural schools is exactly how one of my 85 year olds described his high school experience in a midwest rural school.

Obviously I've been focusing here on what isn't working for my dd. I haven't said much about it in this thread but I think our rural K-12 school with 87 students is actually doing some pretty awesome innovative things that are a vast improvement on what was happening decades ago. They have a strong cross-curricular outdoor education focus (they've overnighted in snow caves this year, participated in government-run watershed ecology studies, participated in farming experiences, learned basic ground search and rescue techniques, hiked, canoed, snowshoed, skied, snowboarded, set up and run an eco-waste program that resulted in a mere two bags of garbage being produced at an outdoor event that attracted 9,000 visitors, practiced survival skills for PE, etc. etc.) and they offer some pretty cool electives and classroom enrichment stuff every year: local history documentary film production and animation, for example. And there is a great breadth of independent study options available: on-line courses allows students to take almost anything they want. My dd could take senior chemistry and senior physics next year at her current school even though the school isn't offering those courses on their roster, she'd just be doing them entirely out of textbooks and on the computer. That's how she's taking Honours English 11 and Pre-Calc 11 this year. But it's very solitary and self-directed and after this year all her academics would likely be in that format. She used to homeschool, and when she started school it was for the things that school offers that are different ... getting teaching from teachers, interacting with other students, having a sense of belonging to a community of fellow learners, experiencing a classroom environment. Doing all her remaining academic study independently isn't going to give her that. 

So I think there are some pretty cool things happening in at least some tiny rural schools. There just comes a point for some students when those things are not enough, or fail to address their particular needs.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page