12 yo boy gift ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I just have no ideas for ds this year...

Past hits have been Snap Circuits: http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Snap-Circuits-SC-300-Physics/dp/B00CIXVIRQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386526904&sr=8-3&keywords=snap+circuits

Hydrodynamic Building Set: http://www.amazon.com/Girder-Panel-Hydrodynamic-Deluxe-Set/dp/B000PVVQMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386526758&sr=8-1&keywords=hydrodynamic+building+set

This Chaos Tower was not a hit. Thankfully we had gotten it from freecycle. I think it was too big and ds has a preference for smaller things: http://www.amazon.com/Chaos-81022-Tower/dp/B000XQ8OHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386526975&sr=8-1&keywords=chaos+tower

He liked these wooden hydraulic kits but he never built the last one: http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinders-Hydraulic-Machines-Platform-Excavator/dp/B00192MFDS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1386527083&sr=8-7&keywords=hydraulic+wood+toy

He is losing interest in LEGOs but still appreciates the mini kits that come in the bags if they are a cool theme.

He never liked k'nex or erector sets. He doesn't like anything sporty or crafty except, strangely, he liked pixos.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#2 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of maybe the elenco 50 in 1 electronic playground: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IUD2/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And a learning to solder kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Z3JJA/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son is 11... and still likes to be surprised w/ toys and gifts but it is harder to find things  ... that age of growing up and out of toys. But any time we are in a store he gravitates towards the Perplexus globe maze (so I got him that for christmas); Him and his friends also have a rekindled interest in the razor scooter (and he asked for one of these for Christmas); He didnt really ask for much ...

Other ideas.

A science kit (like the one in your link) or chemistry set, etc.

Video games

Ice skates, street hockey goal and sticks ... or some sport item.

Sled, snowboard (one that can be used on a park hill)

He is really into making the elastic bands and bracelets and loom

A watch or radio / alarm clock for his bedroom; or blue tooth speakers.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

An Mp3 player

Is he outdoorsy?  My 11 yr old appreciates camping/hiking supplies.

There are 2 or three of the Perplexus mazes, which are a huge hit with all of my kids.

I'm a bit short on ideas for my 11 & 14 yr olds this year, too.  Good luck!

Raechel, mom to 3 boys (J-14, K-11, & T-8), car seat tech/instructor, gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free cook, chicken-raising, wannabe gardener living on 5 acres.

#5 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

He isn't sporty or outdoorsy but I do think he'd like the Perplexus Maze balls:-)

He has an Mp3 player which he hardly uses but he mentioned his headphones weren't working right so I picked him up another set.

It is a tricky age. Still intrigued by certain toys but might not actually use them if gifted with them. But I don't want to rush growing up by discounting the idea of getting toys. The things he'd really like are too expensive, not that he's hoping for them since our gifts are always modest and don't run towards expensive electronics.

#6 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has he asked for anything? I usually go on what my kids like to do and may ask for.

I know we bought our now 14 year old an off brand MP3 player a few years ago and it was difficult to use, and she rarely used it. She saved up for an iPod and now uses it all the time. IMO, the iPod beats the pants off of all other MP3 players. I have a Nano iPod myself and I wouldn't go with anything other than that. That and a few iTunes gift cards may be nice. (I have taught my children, as my husband and I are both musicians, that music is someone's intellectual property and that we pay for it if we want it so my kids aren't' allowed to download pirated music.)

My nephews enjoyed this book and so did my then 11 oe 12 year old daughter. The Dangerous Book for Boys http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0062208977/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387395494&sr=8-1&keywords=the+dangerous+book+for+boys.

If you can afford it, a book reader or a tablet might be good.

If all else fails and he doesn't ask for anything, gift cards are good. Then he can pick out what he wants. GCs to Target or Best Buy or wherever he likes to shop would be good.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page