Your kids peeing at public pools and waterparks - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: In which places would you allow your kids to pee at a public pool or waterpark?
Only in toilets, urinals 24 100.00%
In the pool. 5 62.50%
While showering in the showers 12 100.00%
In the showers 5 62.50%
In the dressing room 1 12.50%
Sitting in the grass 1 12.50%
Sitting on the deck 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last summer we went to several different water parks and never notice the kids run to the restroom. When I asked my daughter she admitted she just did it in the pool. I wasn't sure what to say to her, she acted as if it where normal. Another day I was walking with my sons and the eldest excused himself for a moment as we passed the mens shower room. Naturally, a moment later my little boy announced he needed to pee. I walked him to the door hoping to catch his brother as he was walking toward the restrooms As I stepped into the doorway the shower room was visible and indeed my elder son was right there, back toward us. But, before I could utter a word I noticed he was peeing onto the floor of the showers! I stepped away quickly to gather my thoughts when a lifeguard walked past us into the shower house. I panicked, thinking my son is going to get caught and be in trouble. I tried to listen at the door and eventually stepped back into the doorway to see the lifeguard doing the same as my son. Where would you allow your kids to pee at pools?

#2 of 8 Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I obviously can't control what goes on in the locker room but DS is on swimteam and knows the 'rules of  the pool'.  

You go to the bathroom at the appropriate place and time.  End of discussion.  Anything else can get you kicked off the team.

Claudia Chapman likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 8 Old 02-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lol--what a great question!  I ripped my dd up and down for peeing on the middle of the floor in the private bath/shower at our local gym.  Cuz that was nasty--we were all in there and I actually had to step over her pee at one point.  We swim a few times a week and my kids often excuse themselves and don't pee in the pool.  With that said, we'd all be fooling ourselves if we didn't believe the vast majority of kids are peeing wherever no one will notice (unless, of course, you are my dd).

And as I mentioned the peeing on the floor to my good friend who has 5 young girls and swims at the same gym, she just smirked and said, 'lower the bar"...which we often tell each other when we feel our parenting ideals are too high to meet ;)

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post

Lol--what a great question. ...... we'd all be fooling ourselves if we didn't believe the vast majority of kids are peeing wherever no one will notice (unless, of course, you are my dd).

And as I mentioned the peeing on the floor to my good friend who has 5 young girls and swims at the same gym, she just smirked and said, 'lower the bar"...which we often tell each other when we feel our parenting ideals are too high to meet ;)

Yeah, "lower the bar mom."  Believe me, they aren't the only ones doing it.

#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I never peed in pools when I was a kid. I suspect the neighborhood kids pee in pools, and I think it's weird that their parents never told them not to.  

I understand sometimes little kids don't know they are peeing or maybe they are asked to hold it for too long and have an accident (poor kids!)...but older kids should know better. 

Sadly, I have to think in some cases the parents just look the other way because they don't want to be inconvenienced having to dry off several kids every 10 minutes to go potty. Once the kid does it once, and realizes mom didn't care...guess what? They are going to keep doing it, even when they are older!  

I told my kids NOT to pee in our pool or anyone else's and that public pools have that special dye that will bust you if you pee! I remember taking them to the bathroom while at a pool...often.

Claudia Chapman likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post

Lol--what a great question!  I ripped my dd up and down for peeing on the middle of the floor in the private bath/shower at our local gym.  Cuz that was nasty--we were all in there and I actually had to step over her pee at one point.  We swim a few times a week and my kids often excuse themselves and don't pee in the pool.  With that said, we'd all be fooling ourselves if we didn't believe the vast majority of kids are peeing wherever no one will notice (unless, of course, you are my dd).

I guess maybe my parenting ideals are often too high as well. I was quite shocked when I noticed my eldest son peeing there rather than walking to the toilets, I thought to myself "were did I go wrong with his upbringing that he'd even think of doing this." A minute later when I noticed the lifeguard doing so as well I gave it a second thought and realized this must not be as improper as I thought it was. With my youngest still insisting he needed to pee, I dropped my ideals and told him to just run in and go with his brother!  I later this year I questioned my decision when I realized that at our apartment pool the boys were peeing in the showers instead of walking out to the port-a-potie outside the pool area. After allowing it once the boys seem to be comfortable with it now. Was that a mistake or does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarroq View Post
......Sadly, I have to think in some cases the parents just look the other way because they don't want to be inconvenienced having to dry off several kids every 10 minutes to go potty. Once the kid does it once, and realizes mom didn't care...guess what? They are going to keep doing it, even when they are older!  .................
#7 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Relax mom, I work at a Y pool and I can tell you that it must be quite common for men to urinate in the showers as I've noticed a very strong smell of urine and often obvious spots on the walls or floor after closing. I've never heard of a man "reporting" someone for doing so, yet it's obvious they are. Our little guy often comes with me and swims while I'm working and with me being the lifeguard it's always been an issue when he had to go. I always looked for a guy I knew who could run him to the restroom for me. I was uncomfortable with thought of suggesting to him he could just run inside to the showers, but thought to myself, I wish I could. Finally, DH was with us one day and was taking him in to the mens locker room to pee. I pulled him aside and explained, "this is always a problem for me, talking him all the way out to the family restrooms, is there someplace close he could go?"  My husband replied, "yeah, sure, the showers are right inside."  I continued, "I'm uncomfortable bringing it up with him, could you show him where he can do it?" Ever since then it hasn't been an issue for us. I'm sure most of the other guys pee there and yes it's much easier for me too.

#8 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Someone did this in the showers in my condo. There were big open areas below the floor the water drained through. They stank to high heaven and were impossible to clean. The maintenance people were not very happy.

So I think it very much depends on the design and if it can be easily cleaned properly.

I agree though it is super common at public pools. I just thought I should mention my experience above just in case!

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page