10 year old with intense emotions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My almost 11-year-old daughter has been having intense emotions atleast once a month.  She has not begun to bleed yet.  Is there any advice on how to support this? ANy good books for me to read or her to read?  We are approaching a very sensitive time aside from the monthly intense emotions and trying to find ways to rise above it all.  My DD has a tendency to argue at anything I say and it is very draining.  Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

"The Care and Keeping of You" and "The Feelings Book: The Care and Keeping of Your Emotions" by American Girl publishing. These are awesome for girls this age.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have found myself falling back on my preschool teacher skills with my dd a lot when it comes to preteen hissy fits. Not in the exact same ways but similar principles: empathize, explain, compromise, say yes often, make sure basic needs are filled, avoid arbitrary no responses, disengage when necessary, and don't get sucked in. Quality one on one time and active listening have also really helped my dd feel heard and she is definitely happier and less prone to fits of anger when she feels heard.
kathymuggle likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love One Girl's response! Because I often do the same thing. FWIW, it's not just my girls, but my boys are more moody as teens than they were as children. After a blowup, my kids really benefit from time to themselves. 20 minutes to themselves in their bedrooms often results in a much happier and more reasonable kid.

The one on one time is helpful I think too. Often times, that happens in the car for me. Even the 5 minutes it takes to drop a child off at sports practice is enough to have a quick reaffirming chat.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

OP i found the year before bleeding began was a huge stage for dd. 

the most important thing i tell other moms is take care of yourself. even more care of yourself so you wont feel so frustrated. 

i did a lot of self care. which allowed me not to get that upset with dd. 

pps have already given you an action plan. its the plan i have used too. 

however once her periods began she settled down and that phase went away. 

she was horrible though. mean words to friends. to mom. more as a hitting out. afterwards she was very apologetic - but she also warned everyone around you that the best thing to do was to leave her alone - because she could not control her actions. 

some of her friends would follow her to her room and hang out trying to make dd feel better. and i would hear dd scream - please leave me a lone. i dont want to hurt you with my words, but if you continue staying here that's what's going to happen. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page