My daughter wants to become a model? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter Cleo is very smart girl and she is really beautiful...She want to become a model,it's her dream! And her idols are VS models(adriana lima & miranda kerr...)

I'm not sure is modelling a good job? Should i talk with her?
Any advice?

thank you so much! :-) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 AM

First of all, welcome to our mothering community. I hope you stay here and enjoy the many forums.

One of my aunts when she was a teenager got modelling work doing shots for mail order catalogues. It paid her well. I took advice from her just now to give you, to beware that not all modelling agencies are to be trusted. Aunty says, get the best possible glossy pictures taken of your daughter (how old is she, by the way?) and then find an agent. A good agent will only deal with the most reputable modelling agencies she said. Far better pay an agent's fees of 10 to 15%, than one hundred percent of nothing, and getting ripped off by a rogue modelling agency and a very broken hearted, disillusioned daughter.

Aunty found you this useful link from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8356921.stm Though put up in 2009, the info there still holds good.

Good luck!

Alex

#3 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!!!
(by the way my daughter is 15) 

#4 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Since replying to you I asked Aunty Lyra what modelling prospects a teenager would have since all those years ago, and she said you would have to be very pushy in getting work for your teenage daughter because modelling agents and agencies are overrun already. If she does become successful, my aunt said it would be very advantagious to form a company so enabling your daughter's modelling to become a business. That makes sound business sense. Even though I am nearly 17, I have a fully established company that deals with all the soft fruit my family's farm produces; I manage it well and have an adult business associate from my family and manage all the accounts. The annual income I receive is excellent. Therefore, if your daughter does become successful, then setting her up in a registered company business will help forge her future. Good luck!  :thumb 

#5 of 10 Old 04-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would suggest that you call or visit the sites for the top agencies in New York. Most of the following I would recommend (http://www.models.com/agencies/top/
but do not know if they all represent children. Although at fifteen, I would think they would likely place her in the Women's Division. Start by phoning those you are familiar with, perhaps Ford, IMG, Elite nd ask if they would see your daughter during an open call. Open calls are usually monthly, have a window time frame of two hours or so and agents seek new faces for the agency. Some agencies will only accept email or snail mail submissions though. In this case send 2-3 snapshot photos, little to no make up, simple hair. Well fitted, simple clothing to show her body type and simple poses to show height and figure, and at least one head shot to show facial structure and skin quality. The reason they usually favor the unprofessional photo is because they are looking for a blank slate. Unless you have a knowledgable stylist and make up artist, the model may look too done and not fresh. An agency will create the look to market, a reputable agent will often pay for composite cards and testing and later take the money out of future bookings. Therefore, don't invest much in the beginning before obtaining representation. There are some children's agencies that are well regarded and if the regular agencies like Ford or Wilheminia childrens divisions are not interested, you could call Product or another children's agency.
Ask Ford or Wilheminia though for reccommendations, they wil usually give them.
As for a job, it can be wonderful or awful. Yes, the money is good but there is lot of competition. If one has very good representation though,
much of the nonsense is weeded out. The model will be sent to top clients and work with top photographers. As with any profession, a model who is professional, business minded and gets the job done and done well, will be booked consistently. It truly is who you surround yourself with though. There are questionable agencies, a dime a dozen.
Start with the top ones or a reputable agency in a smaller market.
Meredith East in NJ and Johnston in CT also book models in NY, NJ and CT and further north. A smaller agency can be a very respectable place to start, if a model is not ready for the NYC market, which may include international travel. Since your daughter is a minor I would recommend you accompany her on each casting, testing and booking.
#6 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

How tall should be 15 yrs old girl for modelling? I read somewhere that you need be 5'8 tall for modelling?
My daughter is 5'3/5'4 and i don't wanna ruined her dreams!? any advice?

#7 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 AM

You are welcome.
Your daughter is not tall enough but if she is exceptionally photogenic you may still wish to contact the agencies. I suppose if she grows and has a large growth spurt in the next few years it would open up the possibilities for modeling also.
There is work for petite models, and commercial photography as well as television work do not always require the height. If she has exceptional facial features or hands, feet, etc there is also parts work. The agency Parts Models in NYC specializes in such work (lips for cosmetic ads, hands for nail polish advertising so on).
Also, the smaller markets book petites, they are sometimes needed for local fashion shows (Bloomingdales, Lord and Taylor and so on).
There is far less work though for petite models, but it is out there.
If you think outside the box though, like commercial print or TV instead of fashion, shoe modeling (usually size 6 or so), fit modeling for petites (size 4), there is indeed work.
#8 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraduff View Post

Thank you!

How tall should be 15 yrs old girl for modelling? I read somewhere that you need be 5'8 tall for modelling?
My daughter is 5'3/5'4 and i don't wanna ruined her dreams!? any advice?

I understand you don't want to ruin her dreams, but as parents it's our job to help our kids be realistic about their futures.  Most boys will not be NFL quarterbacks (especially if they are 125 pounds) and most girls will not be supermodels (especially if they are 5'4").  Maybe the two of you could do research together about the modeling industry and the requirements and the chances.

Claudia Chapman likes this.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#9 of 10 Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

I talk with my daughter and she really want to become a model. She say it's her dream and she won't give up on her dreams. i don't know what should i do?
i talk with one lady who work with modelling agency DNA and she say that my daughter can do a commercial work because she isn't tall,but later if my daughter grow taller she can do a runways if she want. 
Thank you so much for helping me :)

#10 of 10 Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM

You are so welcome. Best wishes.

Tags
Teens , Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page