Insect repellent in sons eyes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It has been a very long time since I posted anything here, I'm happy to have found this place again!

My 15 yr old son has had insect repellent sprayed into his eyes by two of his so called friends, they thought it would be funny. So, one boy held my son while the other spayed the stuff in his eyes, we are not sure how much got into the eyes but when he went to the ER, they rinsed his eyes out for 20 mins or so non-stop, they checked his eyes there and could see the corena was burned, you could see little holes, the doctor gave him some eyes drops and an ointment for his eyes. This happened last year. I have to bring him back to the optometrist to varify that everything is still alright with his vision.  But my question is, Does anyone know of the long term effects of this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I doubt that there are long-term effects if the initial healing proceeds without difficulty: the cornea heals itself very quickly, usually within 24 to 48 hours. This is a pretty specialized question, though: I would think it might be better asked in a health forum or (preferably) of the optometrist or ophthalmologist who is caring for him. My suggestion would be to go back for the requested follow-up appointment and ask there. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Teens
User Tag List