maybe bipolar teen - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need some advice from anyone who has a bipolar teen. My 17 year old is in the psych hospital for the second time, and I am almost positive she has a mood disorder but the psych at the hospital says no. The usual psych she sees says no, but she only sees that one 20 minutes every two months for antidepressant refills. (she did also see a therapist regularly until a month ago, she quit that one) We do have a new psych and therapist lined up for after her release. They also have switched her antidepressant to something she hasn't tried. Last time she was there, they put her on Zoloft, and after a few months her psych halved the dose, and that seemed to be the best for her of all she's tried. The 100mg just killed her artful spirit, but after a couple of weeks at 50mg she was back to drawing all the time again. But she started Lexapro yesterday.

What stood out most before your child was diagnosed? Were there symptoms that weren't normally associated with bipolar? My child does not have outrageous behaviors, she doesn't get into trouble. She just gets really hyper and obnoxious several times a week and that's the most that happens. But she'll just wake up one day seriously depressed and having suicidal thoughts, and it lasts for days (like almost two weeks? she is not very open about this with me) It shocks her bc she will have been feeling good for weeks/months before. Can there not be a mood disorder without mania?? That seems to be what the psych at the hospital is going by and it worries me that they may not be treating her correctly. Borderline personality disorder is also ruled out.

My mother was treated for depression for about 20 years before finally being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. My dad has either bipolar or borderline(he said one thing once then the other another time and wouldn't clarify).

Thanks for any advice or opinions. I am so worried about how long it is going to take to sort out whatever this is, or that it can't be helped at all and we will be dealing with her horrible thoughts every few months.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Read about "mixed episodes": http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

Quote:
 A mixed episode of bipolar disorder features symptoms of both mania or hypomania and depression. Common signs of a mixed episode include depression combined with agitation, irritability, anxiety, insomnia, distractibility, and racing thoughts.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
If her psych says she doesn't have a mood disorder, why does he/she have your dd on an antidepressant? That doesn't make sense to me, unless there's something else going on that you haven't mentioned like OCD or Bulemia or ...? Are you sure that's the opinion? Or is it just that they don't think she has bipolar? Because yes there are plenty of people with mood disorders without mania. All the people with major depression, for instance.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

In my own experience with bipolar disorder, if a person has bipolar disorder, an antidepressant could trigger mania in that person.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well she was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder about a year ago and is on her fifth antidepressant since then. I meant bipolar when thinking of a mood disorder. Because she is fine one day, and wakes up the next in such a depressed state she needs hospitalization, I am so worried about this. Does major depression fit here?

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is a great book called "Why Am I Still Depressed?" that talks about the many faces of bipolar 2... how subtle it can be, how it can appear different than the big swings of mania/depression in bipolar 1.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 06-26-2014, 03:20 PM

I just discovered Dr. Kelly Brogan, MD. She's a holistic psychiatrist who has a very different view on mental illness. I have a daughter who suffers from anxiety and depression. Dr. Brogan really sheds light on the field of psychiatry.

See www.KellyBroganMd.com for lots of excellent articles and references. http://kellybroganmd.com
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Tags
Teens
User Tag List