Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Books/resources about STDs

Does anyone have any great resources to educate a teen about various STDs? Our puberty/sex books talk about it a bit, but I would like to cover at least the most common STDs in a bit more depth. . . not as a scare tactic, but as a health lesson. My dd has asked me recently about some of them (questions about prevalence and treatment) and while I could look them up individually, I didn't know off-hand. I would love to have an "all in one" resource that we could use.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Scarleteen is an amazing Sex Education website for teens. Depending on your beliefs and what you are wanting to educate your dd about, you might not want to your dd to have access to the entire website. It is very inclusive site that covers EVERYTHING.

But... here is the link to their STI files. You could just print out the information for each STI you'd like to address with your dd. They are written in a very informative, teen/YA-friendly manner and cover them all.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Have you checked out planned parenthood, they have some great education programs that are well run and inexpensive.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks. I had forgotten the name of scarleteen -- I knew about it when my kids were all too young. It is a great resource. I have always thought that I was ok with anything, but some of the stuff on that site gives me pause. I mean, if she had questions about it anyway, sure. I am just not sure that I want to lead her to it, in case it is more than she wants to know about--it is so easy to click on topics gallore. At the same time, it it quality information and we have always been really open about everything (so far). I did find a book by the person who runs/started scarleteen. I might look that up first.

One_Girl, I didn' t know that planned parenthood ran education programs! I will have to check them out.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
I have always thought that I was ok with anything, but some of the stuff on that site gives me pause. I mean, if she had questions about it anyway, sure. I am just not sure that I want to lead her to it, in case it is more than she wants to know about--it is so easy to click on topics gallore. At the same time, it it quality information and we have always been really open about everything (so far). I did find a book by the person who runs/started scarleteen. I might look that up first.
I agree. Depends on the kid and their readiness. I have often just printed out specific pages about topics that the kid is inquiring about.

The book is also wonderful, but also very inclusive of EVERYTHING. So, you might want to pick and choose topics that you feel your DD is ready and/or asking questions about.

User Tag List