2Likes
  • 1 Post By whatsnextmom
  • 1 Post By IdentityCrisisMama

#1 of 16 Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Your teens summer plans...

Just to introduce a lighter subject, what is your teen/preteen up to this summer? Anything fun? Family stuff? Still figuring it all out?
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#2 of 16 Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
All his friends tend to travel or be busy during the summer so we have to find things to occupy us as a family. My son (who will be 13 in a week!) is going to be in an evening lacrosse camp for a week, two weeks of junior lifeguarding camp and will play a pick up type lacrosse game every week. We'll also hit our area pools, he'll practice his DJing and mixing, we'll trek into the city and meander around and go on picnics etc. I'm also hoping we'll be able to go with my husband to Seattle when he goes on business and I'm hoping we can take a couple days in New York.

We also like to hit the free movies most weeks. Area movie theaters show free second run G and PG movies all summer. Sometimes my son says they are too young for him, but since he has 9 and 10 year old sisters, we all compromise sometimes.

By staying busy, the kids don't miss seeing their friends as much. I feel like we have to make ourselves as busy as everyone else in our area is.

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#3 of 16 Old 06-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Dd20 took a summer course at college in May and is currently touring Europe with her string quartet ... some concerts, some R&R. They're off to Prague tomorrow. She normally lives in Montreal, but she's going to come home (here) after getting back from Europe and spend the last part of the summer with us. She'll work a few shifts at her old café job.

Ds17 is working at a combination museum, living history site, and cultural centre memorializing the experience of Japanese internees in our area during WWII. He loves the job and the people he works with, which is a nice contrast to last summer, when he worked in a ghost town with a few personality disorders.

Dd15 is spinning her wheels right now. She's working part-time at a restaurant doing prep and being a dish monkey, but she's not getting enough hours and she's bored during the daytime. She's thinking of digging into her Grade 12 math course or looking for other work.

Dd11 will be doing a dance camp and a violin/chamber music camp, and a bit of work and volunteering with young kids here and there. She's a "violin practicing buddy" to a couple of young girls once a week and does a bit of babysitting.

We're going to be trying to find time for some back-country camping in July and August.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 16 Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Both my kids are getting their wisdom teeth out this summer. We know how to have FUN!

DD#1 is currently in Europe with her Grandmother. Grandma likes to do a "coming of age trip" with each of her grandchildren, and this summer was DD#1's turn. After she gets back (and get her wisdom teeth out) I'm not sure what she'll do. I feel she either needs to find or job or do some volunteer work, she feels reading and seeing her friends once a week is plenty.

DD#2 went to Europe with a school trip, and is back. After she finishes recovering from wisdom teeth, she'll be doing an Engineering Internship.

The girls are also planning a camping trip with friends to some mountains not far from here. This will be the third year for this group to do this, and they are getting better at it. This group gets together every Friday night and watches movies. Nice group of kids.

School starts for DD#2 the beginning of August, so summer is pretty short (as a break from school, not as a weather event. We have summer weather for most of the year. August is hellish, so the kids go back to school early and then have another break in October, when one can finally be outside without risking death).

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 16 Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post
Just to introduce a lighter subject, what is your teen/preteen up to this summer? Anything fun? Family stuff? Still figuring it all out?
Our summer will be a bit shorter than normal this year.

DD 17 is heading across the country to college mid August. As you can imagine, there is a lot of business preparing for that. She's working as a theatre camp aide most days and rehearsing a show in the evenings. She's finishing up with a lot of the organizations she's been part of... helping them re-staff, training replacements, ect. I know she's trying to get a lot of time with her boyfriend in before they are separated but we're making sure she blocks some family time in there as we'll miss her too!

DS 13 is a little trickier. In our area, once you hit high school, the activity options really change. He's continuing with Karate and taking the extra weapons class they offer only in the summer. He'll continue year-round basketball league. He's doing 2 weeks of theatre camp and rehearsing a show opening next week. That still leaves a lot of time in July and August. He' likes to have downtime which I think is great... however, he starts getting antsy when he's got weeks of downtime all in a row. He's thinking maybe rock and roll camp if we can still get him in for either piano or trumpet. He starts at the high school same time as DD starts college.... which is about 2 weeks earlier than normal for us!

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Last edited by whatsnextmom; 06-23-2014 at 12:50 PM.
#6 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Dance

Sometimes it feel like that sums it up.

Realistically though:
DD1 (14) will be dancing most of summer. She will also accompany the family on a variety of camping trips, hang out with friends, read, finish up Algebra, and babysit.

DD2 (11) will dance, but not as much as dd1. She will also spend a week at overnight camp, is on the local swim team, will try a tennis camp (through the school district--very low key), come camping with the family, hang with friends, and hopefully read!

DD3 (8) (not really the age for this board) has finished a basketball camp. She will also do a horse camp, tennis camp, and soccer camp, and swim lessons. She will also spend endless hours biking with the neighbor kids, playing with friends, camping with family, and hanging out. I am also encouraging her to read more. All of her camps are between 1 and 3 hours per day. That leaves lots of time for everything else. They are also scattered throughout the summer so she doesn't get burned out. With her, it is a balancing act.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 16 Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
While some of you are knee-deep into summer, our summer officially starts today! The news guy just told me my DD14 has 69 days until school starts up again.

She will be going to sleep away camp for a week in July, where she will be a camp-aide this year. The lowest level of hired help, but doesn't get paid. I am the camp nurse for the week she is there; we've been going there since she is 4. She will also be attending two different theatre workshops, each for a week in august; each one culminates with a performance.

She has either one or two weeks in between each structured week. Her friends seem to be non-existent over the summer, which bothers/concerns me. My daughter loves theatre, so we will be looking for things related to that to fill the void. There are weekly free performances by broadway stars in Bryant park, and I know we'll end up at a (not-so-free) show or two. We're also hoping to take her and a friend away for a night or two, to an amusement/water park. Having one child makes vacationing difficult as she gets older.
#8 of 16 Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPossible129 View Post
Having one child makes vacationing difficult as she gets older.
That is an interesting thought. I always thought that it was probably easier. With three kids, they do have each other (vs your desire to have a friend come along for you dd). However, it is expensive to go anywhere far (airfare is pricey) and their spread in age makes it sometimes difficult to find things that appeal to all ages. My middle child can swing either way, but my youngest and oldest have different perspectives on vacations--mostly because of the six year gap. :-)

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 16 Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I admit I always figured it as Amy does. I have four kids with a 9-year spread, and that always seemed to make vacationing tough. We don't fit in single a motel room, tent or canoe together, things get tight and nerves get frayed squeezed into even a minivan with luggage, and flights for six are insanely expensive. And then, wherever we get to, the physical stamina, focus, interests, sleep needs and social needs vary so much from oldest to youngest that it's a constant juggling act. But I guess it's one of those "grass is greener" situations. I'd rather you didn't burst my bubble, Kim. Now that two of my four are getting older and moving on, I'm looking forward to vacations getting easier with fewer kids. Don't tell me it ain't so!

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#10 of 16 Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD18 - working in an English Learning centre until end of July (earning $$). Then we will have about 3 weeks to enjoy each other & the city before she heads overseas to start college.

DS -16 - has been working (volunteer) since early June in a molecular biology lab until the middle of July. Then he will have a couple of weeks to chill & relax before he takes a short intensive introduction to calculus course & then start back at secondary school in mid-August.

Miranda, (to tell you it is easier) I have 2 kids close in age & found vacationing & traveling with them was great. They could entertain each other & had similar interests at similar ages. If I traveled alone w/ just the 2 of them, we could share the same hotel room (with DH, it was still a bit tight).

DH and I will be taking a trip w/ only DS in autumn - so then I can post on what it's like to travel w/ just one kid.
#11 of 16 Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
I admit I always figured it as Amy does. I have four kids with a 9-year spread, and that always seemed to make vacationing tough. We don't fit in single a motel room, tent or canoe together, things get tight and nerves get frayed squeezed into even a minivan with luggage, and flights for six are insanely expensive. And then, wherever we get to, the physical stamina, focus, interests, sleep needs and social needs vary so much from oldest to youngest that it's a constant juggling act. But I guess it's one of those "grass is greener" situations. I'd rather you didn't burst my bubble, Kim. Now that two of my four are getting older and moving on, I'm looking forward to vacations getting easier with fewer kids. Don't tell me it ain't so!

Miranda
Lol, I didn't mean to burst your bubble!! I suppose the grass is always greener!! I guess when you're "down to two kids" it might be easier. I never thought of the logistics of rooms and such. We never need more than one room with two beds. We'll even splurge for a cheaper "suite" here and there.

My two best friends have younger kids, and we have done the vacation thing with them. The next oldest after mine is now 9, then am 8 year old boy (who barely acknowledges my DD, and she gets upset. Go figure!). We have done amusements parks and Great Wolf Lodge with them. When we went, the almost all of the kids were too small to to big rides with her. That's when we started bringing the friend along. And since these kids are not siblings, I can only use the compromise thing so much.
#12 of 16 Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We do tons of camping, fishing, swimming, hiking, and other outdoor stuff. My two oldest will also be volunteering at the Wildlife Refuge that dh works at. They also get 1 week alone with their Nana and Grandpa and get spoiled rotten! We also have a huge family garden that the boys have really gotten into. It used to be more of a chore for me to get them to weed or help out then it was for them to do it. Now they recognize that that work equals harvest which they love!

#13 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Fun!

We got our summer off and running this year. Spent the first week doing all sorts of relaxed fresh-water stuff (beaches, tubing, surf lessons), the second week was an awesome social studies camp for DC and the third week in Hatteras (till we got evacuated) and then a cool lake in VA for the rest. The rest of the summer is also pretty great for DC - lots of family visits, camping with friends, some concerts and stuff. I'm trying to get us to a national park with wild horses in August because I remember that we have miffed up August the last couple of summers by planning too much back-to-school down-time.

Next year I have decided to save for DC to do Quaker sleep-away camp. It hasn't felt right (and was beyond our price range) before this but I think DC is ready and I think next year is great timing for DC.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#14 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
DC has a sibling but they are 10 years apart. I agree that 12 is when it starts to get difficult for an only. I'm sure it's hard with a whole krewe but one is hard on a 12 year old too. I think it gets harder to just meet and play with random kids all over the place. DC is often asking to bring friends and it is often quite a bit nicer for everyone if we can make that happen for her.
AAK likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#15 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, my son is not much into spending time with family. So, he spent time with his friends either playing or completing his assignments.

Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas
#16 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Supervising his nephews and niece while his sister teaches yoga, playing multi player games online and chatting with his friends until it's tomorrow, walking the dog late at night (it's too hot during the day; dh walks him early in the morning), and doing just enough school work to keep his brain from going to mush over the summer. Oh and sleeping until 9-10 in the morning. He also runs errands for me and is available for whatever dh needs him for.

Watching his nephews and niece is an unpaid gig so I can get some work done (I work at home) while they are here at the house.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page