is this normal 12 yr old behavior? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
is this normal 12 yr old behavior?

My cousin's 12 yo daughter is staying with us for a few weeks. She is a bit home sick but is doing ok. I have a 3 yo dd and a 8 mo. Old ds. She comes out of her room for a while, and is a bit quiet but pleasent, and then dissapears back into her room for a while. My dd likes a lot of attention anf im tryi g to make sure she knows that she doesnt have to play with her all the time. I have a hatd time talking to her because she wont look me in the eyes and she gibes no feedback. Im trying to figure out if her behavior is normal or if she is going back in her room to baul her eyes out. She texted her mother in the middle of the night to say she wanted to come home. That's how I know she is home sick. I had a text conversation with her to explain that we'd like her to stay but we wont be upset if she wants us to take her home early and that she can talk to me. I just dont know if I should be doing something or if I sjould just let her be and come and go on her own time... any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I answered on the other thread and, yes, this sounds pretty normal to me. I suggested that you try to find age appropriate activities for the 12 year old, just as you would any other age group and also consider allowing her to help around the house. I think 12 year old still need a bit of direction from adult caregivers.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

User Tag List