My Son's Artwork Featuring his Father - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Son's Artwork Featuring his Father

Hi everyone, hope you all are well. Looking for some input here.

Recently my son has been dabbling in a 3d modelling program, it's quite a nifty little program that lets him use models of video game characters and pose them in still scene.

However, I came across a few of his newest pictures, quite a few of which feature his father in perilous/dangerous situations and often knocked out.

Not sure how I feel about it, something about the imagery doesn't sit right with me. Am I overthinking this or is there something else at play.

For reference I've included an example:

Last edited by RachaelH; 07-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

I had a link to the image in my OP but the site seems to have taken it down so I've included it as an attachment here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_the_major_&_doctor.jpg (339.7 KB, 54 views)
#3 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
You don't say how old your ds is, but unless you're concerned about his behaviour and mood for a bunch of other reasons I don't think it's anything to worry about. Kids often process scary ideas, alternate views of reality, powerful roles, fears and their need for excitement through imaginative means, whether RPG gaming, writing fantasy fiction, artwork, or what have you. Back when you were a teen, kids didn't have the tools to make their creative explorations hyper-realistic and recognizable. Maybe that's what has taken you aback. If you'd just discovered a rudimentary comic strip of the same scene you probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
#4 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
You don't say how old your ds is, but unless you're concerned about his behaviour and mood for a bunch of other reasons I don't think it's anything to worry about. Kids often process scary ideas, alternate views of reality, powerful roles, fears and their need for excitement through imaginative means, whether RPG gaming, writing fantasy fiction, artwork, or what have you. Back when you were a teen, kids didn't have the tools to make their creative explorations hyper-realistic and recognizable. Maybe that's what has taken you aback. If you'd just discovered a rudimentary comic strip of the same scene you probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

Miranda
You're right, if it had been a normal comic strip or even the original image he had created without his Father photoshopped into it, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

It's the fact he's used his Father as the 'Damsel' so to speak, being forcefully chloroformed and attacked.
#5 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Unless something else is going on, I vote for over-thinking.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 AM

You know your son and I'm sure if something was wrong you would have noticed it in his other behavior. I would also put it down to over thinking but just keep an eye on his behavior
#7 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Boys like guns, war and fights. We need to deal with "warriors" inside of them. I do not think you shoud worry. all boys are the same. it's better he plays in war and fights then do something violent in real life.
#8 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I think you should talk to him about this - the whole "rag over the face" thing seems to be a theme in anime or something. He may be recreating a common theme as a form of appropriation. A quick search on Deviant Art shows that many artists are using this same theme and sharing their work.

Also, he has not created the scene here - he has added faces from people he knows. It may have been an art challenge (perhaps from an online community) or just an image that worked well with the photographs he had. I wouldn't read too much into this without more information.

On a side note, I want to let you know that images, like words, are searchable online. Please be cautious of sharing your son's work online. I would consider removing the image and describing the work.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#9 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
I think you should talk to him about this - the whole "rag over the face" thing seems to be a theme in anime or something.
The rag over the face is meant to be chloroform, even I know that, you used to see it on a lot of old tv shows back in the day. It's been used in movies and tv shows for years even though it doesn't work like shown on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
Also, he has not created the scene here - he has added faces from people he knows. It may have been an art challenge (perhaps from an online community) or just an image that worked well with the photographs he had. I wouldn't read too much into this without more information.
Actually he has created the scene and then added his Father's face and Rolex afterward. As far as I know, he positions the models and then saves the image and adds his Father and other things in with photoshop after this.
#10 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelH View Post
The rag over the face is meant to be chloroform, even I know that, you used to see it on a lot of old tv shows back in the day. It's been used in movies and tv shows for years even though it doesn't work like shown on tv.
What I meant is that there seems to be a theme of images like this - I'm unfamiliar with and computer graphics/anime in general but I think "knowing what the image represents in old movies" may not give a full picture of the significance of the image in a contemporary subculture.

Obviously no one other than your son can tell you the meaning behind this picture.

I find it disturbing but I think it's ok for art to be disturbing. If he created the graphics with the idea of adding his father's image, that adds another layer to the discussion. Is his father an image he has better access to? Could it be as simple as using him as a model? Is this part of a story or just a single image?

Anyway, I do think you should talk to him and get a feeling for what's going on - and also get permission for sharing his image.

#11 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM

I am editing this whole post because read a bit about Mass Effect Fan Fiction. I think that maybe you are mistaken about image that you think is your son's father. Your son's work is posted online, as is his process, including the actor who he uses in his work. The actor's name is Lyle Waggoner.

Perhaps there is a resemblance?

Either way, I do think a discussion and some involvement in the level of your son's online activity is a good place to start.

Good luck!

Last edited by IdentityCrisisMama; 07-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.
#12 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 02:07 AM

For you it can be quite disturbing I guess. Rather than concluding stuff on your own, talk to your son. If it is only for recreational purposes then there is no need to be worried. You need to find it from your son.

Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page