What would you do about this? Walked in on Son with his GF.... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

Old 08-23-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Will have to discuss that with her parents when they get back into town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Wake up at 3 am to screams from my son's girlfriend run in and he is having a seizure so now at the ER trying to figure out what's going on.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Oh dear! Is this new for him?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah never ever happened before. Doctors are saying it's stress.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

They are going to keep my son in the hospital next few days and run some tests to see what's going on. Son and his girlfriend have a bond i haven't seen in teens ever before.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels08 View Post
They are going to keep my son in the hospital next few days and run some tests to see what's going on. Son and his girlfriend have a bond i haven't seen in teens ever before.
OP--for what it's worth I was in a similar situation. Found out I was pregnant at 19, totally unexpected and I was terrified. I remember the first thing my mom said to me... "We don't love you any less and quitting school is not an option."

It was so hard to do school and baby but now, almost 5 years down the road I am so glad that I stuck through it and finished school. Even if your son isn't able to do the school far away with the scholarship I strongly encourage you to encourage your son to continue his education. Whether it's a 4 year degree, tech school, or trade school etc. an education will benefit him and his family the most in the long run. It can be stressful and completely overwhelming but I kept telling myself "short term sacrifice for a long term reward."

I remember all the stress, anxiety, disappointment and fear the initial months after I found out I was pregnant like it was yesterday. What I can say is, that now, 5 years down the road, I (and my family) could not imagine life any other way. Just remember whenever you or your son or his girlfriend are feeling overwhelmed or like any of this is more than you can handle that "this too shall pass."

Congratulations on your soon to be grandbaby. Babies are a blessing, families are a blessing, and children who have parents that love and support them through any situation are so very lucky, myself and your son included.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

None of the tests so far can tell us what is going on with him and why he had this seizure.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 AM
AAK

Quote:
None of the tests so far can tell us what is going on with him and why he had this seizure.
I hope you find answers soon!

If it is stress (which would be understandable), I often find the decision making process to be more stressful than the actual decision. So, in this case, he has been faced with several decisions all at once. (not alone, but they all affect him) Getting a plan in place may help him out a lot. He and his gf need to be the decision makers-- everyone else needs to be support. By support, I mean that you give input, listen, let them know how you can and can not help, etc. Before making the big college decision, perhaps call the school and let them know what is going on.

Five hours isn't that far away. The school may have a housing allowance for him to go with the scholarship. It sounds like he and the gf will live together. Having those things paid for would make life so much easier. Grandparents might find that they take turns visiting during finals weeks so the parents can study and sleep while grandma helps with the baby.

Anyways, call the school. Find out how they handle these scenarios. Getting all the information will help the couple make the right decision for them. Once the decisions are made, things will hopefully be a bit less stressful. It will still be hard work.

Good luck! I really hope the doctors figure out what is going on soon.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Totally agree with AAK. Dropping the scholarship would be the last option, IMO. Many schools have family housing, and it's possible the scholarship is flexible enough to be able to apply some of the housing allowance towards that, and loans and family help might help make up the difference. Once baby is old enough, a family housing situation would be a prime spot to take on one or two other children for some childcare income, and possibly even an exchange so GF can work or take some classes, and usually there is some childcare available through the ECE program on campus. I would not ditch this option until all possibilities have dried up.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Scholarship includes housing in a boys dorm though. Son had a very violent seizure last night.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

They are sending him home today. With seizure meds and referring him to a neurologist.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM
AAK

Quote:
Scholarship includes housing in a boys dorm though. Son had a very violent seizure last night.
The standard (of course) is housing in a boys dorm. Please call the school and see if they have options because of the situation. I am not saying they will, but it is better to call and know for sure rather than turn something down based on what you think they would say.

I am not dismissing the seizure--but I can't think of anyway to help you there. :-) I am hoping that the doctors find something to help him.

Amy

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Called and they said the only other option is that they can give him $650 a month for housing allowance
Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Well, that doesn't sound all bad to me :-) would that be enough to get them a small place near his college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 AM

With help from the grandparents, if they are financially able to swing it. It's an option, anyhow. Keep pursuing it! Don't give up on this scholarship if you can figure out any way to make it work!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 AM
AAK

Depending on the area, $650/month could be feasible! Statistically, teen parents are less likely to continue their education. Hopefully, they won't fall into that category. A free college education that is reasonably close to home with a sizable part of the rent taken care of. Go for it. She can get on WIC, and they might be able to apply for other assistance too.

Amy

Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Apartments near the college run about 550 on up.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM

That sounds promising! What other kinds of assistance can they get for housing, from all sources, including family?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

We will take alternating weekends to go up and visit and help with whatever they need.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I hope your son continues to feel better. It's so great to hear how both families are so supportive. Send his girlfriend here to MDC! Congratulations and best wishes.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salr View Post
Send his girlfriend here to MDC!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM
AAK

That sounds fantastic!

How is your son doing now that he is home again?

Amy

Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

He is doing alright very lethargic on the meds been cuddle up with his girlfriend watching TV all night.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Nuro appointment for Monday.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
AAK

Quote:
Nuro appointment for Monday.
I hope you get some answers. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

I don't like these meds they put him on all he wants to do is sleep and that is so unlike him. His girlfriend tried getting him up today and usually he will do whatever she wants or needs of him but no, he could barley keep his eyes open to even acknowledge his girlfriend.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Nuro thinks he has epilepsy and so he is going to stay on the Meds for now even though they are making him a dam Zombie.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ask the neuro if there's a way for him to try and build up to a lesser level of meds that still works for him. There's a few different types that he could take, and not all of them will make him veg out. But it will take a bit of time to find the right combo of medication and strength to get to a fictional state. I wish you luck tho Kels ♡

- - - -
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

He is going to see him Next Monday and adjust if needed. But that doesn't help us this week or the next 4 days for school.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Talk to the school, they should be somewhat understanding. I had the same issue with a heart medication I was on. I was a complete zombie and all I did was wake up to eat.

- - - -

User Tag List