Babysitting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool Babysitting

Babysitting

Do you know what the going rate is these days? My daughter is 13, we used to pay her sitters $5.00/hr. Is it still $5.00 per hour? And is that per child?
Angie's an awesome sitter, actually plays with the child and will not just flick the tv on. So what is she worth?
Thanks in advance.
Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
This very much depends on where you live and on who's doing the hiring. I've heard of people paying as much as $12/hour (that's minimum wage where I live) and as little as $2/hour. My 11-year-old has earned as much as $5/hour for simply being a mother's helper (playing with a child while the child's mom gets some office work done in another room), and my 15-year-old has earned as little as $3/hour for caring for an infant throughout a long evening. I only rarely hired a sitter, but I always paid minimum wage, because I felt strongly that child care demands at least as much responsibility as working in a fast food joint and should be compensated accordingly; I tried to match that wage in order to attract really good sitters who would take the work seriously. I wanted it to be clear to anyone I hired that babysitting was not just a lucrative way to watch TV, kwim?

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, don't know about other areas but i used to pay $8/hour to the sitter. She's was an amazing girl and used to look after my child really well.

Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas
Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I admit to never paying for a sitter.. we have a lot of eager family members who would have yelled at us for not calling them first.

Both my kids have done some sitting. DD always gets about 10 bucks an hour but she also has some wealthy clients who specifically hire her because their kids loved her during theatre camp or class. DS 13 has helped out a local family a couple times with their children and gotten about 5 dollars an hour. Honestly though, he is more of a "mothers helper" as mom will just run an errand 5 minutes away or be in the house but needed the kids distracted while she finished a project.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
It really depends where you live. The going rate for a teen sitter here is $10/hour. For an adult sitter who can drive, or any special need, it's more like $20.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Large city/mid-Atlantic, going rate in the city is $5-6 for a young teen. In the county it's more like $8. In both the rate goes up as the babysitter gets older. DC charges $6 (we're in the city) but she also cleans and is pretty "on it". Plus, I have to drive her so I think the extra $1 is fair. She recently filled in for an adult sitter and earned quite a bit more.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My 13 year old gets $10/hr to watch one kid while the mother is home. He was getting $8 for the past two years but it went up in the spring. I haven't had a sitter in about 2 years but when I did I was paying HS kids $11-13/hr for 2-3 children.

Massachusetts

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We paid $7 for 13 year olds in our previous neighborhood.
Now that we moved and use and agency it's $11 and $1 per extra child.

User Tag List