Alone overnight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alone overnight

My husband and I have been having this debate on leaving the kids alone. They have been left alone for an entire day and do fine. They have emergency numbers and neighbors directly beside us.

My question is would you leave your kids alone one night while you went to the States (Vancouver Isaland to Tulalip).
They are 16y (high functioning Autism but holds a job for the past 18m), 13y, 10y and 8y

I know they are good kids but it's the mom in me being nervous of leaving my babies. It took me 2yrs to leave them alone while we went to a movie. LOL
#2 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
If it were just the 16 and 13-year-old, maybe. With a 10 and 8-year-old in the mix, I would not. That doesn't make it wrong for you... that's just my own preference.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I have four kids in a similar range and I would not have chosen to go away overnight and out-of-country at that age. We did lots of daytime home-alone stuff from quite young ages, but somehow overnight and across the border (and with a ferry in between) seems different. Partly because it's more of an imposition to summon help if you're a teen who needs to make a judgement call in the middle of the night, partly because at 8 my youngest still really relied on a parent-dependent bedtime ritual that her more aloof older siblings weren't good substitutes for, and partly because I have my own baggage relating to being left as a child with a new sitter in a strange place and unexpectedly and silently suffering hours of anxiety and loneliness (a different situation, to be sure, but I just know how long and horrible a bad night can feel without the comfort of a trusted adult).

Having said that, if my kids were super keen on the opportunity, I might be willing to be persuaded. But I think I would want to arrange with an adult friend to stop by in the evening and be willing to stay available as needed.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 8 Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 AM

I would not.
#5 of 8 Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Nope.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 8 Old 08-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I wouldn't.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2014, 08:37 AM

My 13 year old is pissed at me because I won't let him and the 9 year old stay home alone overnight next week. They have to sleep at a neighbor's and come home in the morning until we get home.

At 16 I would be more likely to do it, but probably not with 4 kids.

I would find a college kid or a friend of mine to sleep over.
#8 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It would depend on how the kids felt. Esp ur 8 year old. And ur oldest. I too could be persuaded esp since they know the drill.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page