Social Media - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Social Media

My 11 year old keeps asking me for Facebook & Instagram accounts.

Last edited by lisash123; 08-26-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Incorrect Info.
#2 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been having a REALLY hard time dealing with this issue with my 15 year old. I don't want to snoop on him, but I keep seeing more and more stories about people getting in trouble with social media. And when I do find time in my busy schedule to actually check - I usually see at least one post that I ask him to remove just to be safe. And then I kick myself for not checking more often. So I bounce back and forth between being more vigilant but still giving him his privacy.

He uses Facebook not Instagram, so please let me know when Facebook is available!

Interested to hear what other mothers have to say about this topic.

- G
#3 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM

I agree! My kids mostly use Instagram because they are only 12 and we have not yet allowed them on Facebook. But even just on instagram, I see their friends posting inappropriate things. They are kids and I think they really need more direction and supervision because growing up with social media is a whole new world, and this generation is really the first to live with it. I think this idea of giving some protection is a great one, and i definitely advocate this! I am also going to tell my other mom friends because I think my kids will go for it more if they know their friends have it too.
#4 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DH has a Master's in Information Security, so this hits very close to home for us. Once information goes out on the internet, you can never get it back. We started educating the kids in our family at a very young about what is and is not appropriate. We have even gone through their (and their friends feeds) and used examples.

There is no such thing as electronic privacy, and we are very open about that in our house. So anything that is posted online, sent via email or text, can (and will be) reviewed. If they write in a journal or diary, I would not read that. We have been very forthright that if you do not want us to know about it, don't post it online.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#5 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 AM

I thought I'm being too strict with my kids. I'm a single mom with too much on my plate, I've become very impatient with these kinds of issues at home. I have been looking and reading different articles about social media and teens these days. I just think it seems they are becoming out of control!!!
I came across this post and thought of asking @Lisa , how does this work? Just in case, I've also sent you an email. I think this is the first time I've seen this kind of offer. Want to know more.

xoxo - cathy
#6 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good to see I'm not alone on this! I've been doing more research and it's pretty scary... It's one thing if they called to the principal's office for something they did on social media - not that I'd be happy about that either - but I'm finding more stories of physical dangers our kids can encounter if they're not careful. This one just happened:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/26311727/p...ughters-closet

I'm asking a few friends if their kids use Instagram so they can try your service until you add Facebook.
#7 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM

@Gail - just goosebumps all over! This is so messed up. Well, I think us moms, no matter how hard we try to protect our kids, there are bad people out there like this one you just posted. Gave me an idea to read on more of news similar to this.

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo - cathy
#8 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Kids of this generation are hooked to laptops, smartphones and computers. So obviously they feel the need to connect with people online. A simple way to distract them is to enrol them in some activity club related to art, music, science or anything. These activities will take up a huge amount of their time and will teach them a lot of things.

Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas
#9 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My daughter is 12 and has had Facebook for a couple of years and rarely uses it. I don't remember the last time she used it. She's more in to Instagram and You Now and I have had to recently ban her from using You Now. She's pissed but oh well. Such is life.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#10 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Something like this has come up recently in our house too.

It started when all of the other kids at school were talking about some show on tv and my daughter could not contribute to the conversation b/c we don't have cable. She felt left out.
Another day, all the kids were talking about that Mindcraft game. Well, again, we don't have an Xbox or any kind of videogame system, so she felt left out.
Then there was mention of her friend's slightly older siblings having Facebook accounts. They are only 8, but, we know it's coming soon.
We made the decision to send out kids to public school now we have to deal with some of the 'negative' aspects of it, like TV, Videogames, and Social media.

We've learned to compromise.
For the TV situation, we asked her to find out the name of the show all the other kids are watching and we let her watch some episodes on You Tube. Now she knows the characters, the general story of the show, and will not be left out.
As for the Mindcraft thing. I did some research and looks like it's a somewhat 'educational' game (no point of view shooting one) as long as you don't go online where the other people say mean and nasty things. We have a screen time limit for each kid, so, again they'll be familiar with the game and feel like part of the crowd.

As for the social media thing. Our strategy is to hold off as long as possible and when we let her (and the other kids at some point) have a Facebook account we will be her 'Friend' on it and will keep close tabs on her. We also will only have the one laptop set up in our living room. She will not be getting a smart phone.
You hear a lot of scary stories about kids and social media, but, you know your kids and you'll know when they are mature enough to have something like a Facebook account. It's a new world out there, and I know I like socializing on the web, so I can see the attraction in it. I'm not worried about my daughter, but, my middle son eek! he might need a bit more guidance and supervision.
#11 of 11 Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We have limited access to internet anyway, but I want to avoid facebook or mine because such a time suck, so much drama. Newmoongirls.com is a great alternative to facebook for preteen girls, wish there was something similar for boys!

Tags
Child , facebook , instagram , social media , social media security

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page