Can you please help me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool Can you please help me?

Hello, I know that this maybe a little strange of a message to find on here but I am not sure where to turn. I am hoping that maybe someone will feel a connection to me.
I am a little older, I am 19 years old and have recently come out of foster care and sorted my life out and settled down and I am doing good but I would really like to be able to have parents, I attend school but I would like to have a mom and dad that is an online relationship and it is a parent/child relationship and it is just as if their child has gone to college and is living away from home it would mean so much for me to have parents of course not legally but the relationship someone I could talk to about everything and share my school work with when I have done good.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I couldn't read and not post. I work at a university with a Transition to Independence Program for foster care alumni on our campus. The aim is to provide a supportive atmosphere for youth who have experienced foster care and are now enrolled in college. Because you are right, students who have transitioned out of foster care don't have parents to send them a care package at school, etc. This is a link to our program, http://www.tipwaynestate.org/. But I see mentioned the Foster Care Alumni of America, perhaps they could put you in touch with a similar organization near you, http://www.fostercarealumni.org/home.htm.
#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I am not in a position to adopt you (I wish I was) because I had some experiences in foster care.

I have had good luck advertising for NON SEXUAL mentors on various semi-dating-semi-social-networking sites. I always put that in caps lock because most grown ups who want to "adopt" a 19 year old are less than pure. I have found several people who have gone on to be surrogate parents and they have meant the world to me.

I'm sorry for the things that landed you in foster care. I hope you can find the relationships you need.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 4 Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a friend who adopted a 'mom', and 'grandma' for her kids. She has parents but they live far away, my friend needed emotional support and the 'gramma's kids weren't going to have babies, so she was looking for that kind of relationship, too. An online relationship is one thing, but have you considered getting to know a family in person? My friend met her 'mom' in church, so if you have that resource I'd reccomend talking to the pastor or minister and see if they know of a family that might be a good fit.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page