• 1 Post By KSLaura
  • 1 Post By moominmamma

#1 of 13 Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Book Recommendations

Hello,
I'm looking for books/audio books to get for my 11yo niece. I want something that's not too dark, doesn't have too much tragedy, something that has strong female characters, something that will make her think, stretch, learn, dream.
Please share some of your favorites!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Has she read the Harry Potter books?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 13 Old 12-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Tamora Pierce's "Protector of the Small" quartet sounds like it might fit the bill. It's very much in the fantasy vein, set in an imagined world similar to our medieval past.

"Catherine Called Birdy" by Karen Cushman is brilliant diary-style medieval fiction: funny, unexpected, eye-opening, and embodying the feisty adolescent female protagonist.

"The True Meaning of Smekday" is a hilarious, insightful piece of satire that is perfectly executed as an audiobook, featuring a wonderful, strong young girl, surprisingly likeable aliens and a road-trip that takes them to an upside-down Disney-like theme park. Not quite as silly as it sounds but tons of fun: it really pulls the reader in.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
#4 of 13 Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
My 11-yr. old DD listens to the Harry Potter audiobooks religiously. We also love James & the Giant Peach read by Jeremy Irons and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory read by Eric Idle, but neither has a female protagonist. They are excellent audiobooks, though. How about the Fairytale Detectives/Sisters Grimm series? More fun than serious. Another family favorite audiobook is Matilda, and I think that would fit your bill.
QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

Mom "D"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DD1 "Z" (15)
and DD2 "I" (12)
DH "M"

#5 of 13 Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 PM
AAK

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My 12 year old loves the Alice books by Naylor.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (15), Kayla (12), Maya (9).
#6 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
How about A Wrinkle in Time, or Where the Red Fern Grows? The Giver or The Midwife's Appretice are also good reads. All of the Little House on the Praire books are good and generally appeal to all ages. Have you tried looking at the Newberry award list? Those are pretty much all great kids books.
AAK likes this.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#7 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 01:41 PM

No, no, no! Not Where the Red Fern Grows. I'm still traumatized by that book. What's worse than a one dog dies book? That's right a book where 2 dogs die! Sob!

#8 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
No, no, no! Not Where the Red Fern Grows. I'm still traumatized by that book. What's worse than a one dog dies book? That's right a book where 2 dogs die! Sob!
That has been my favorite book since I first read it around 6 or 7. However, even tho I love it and have read it many times over the years, I have yet to expose my DD9 to it because I am fairly certain she would be traumatized as well! Maybe when she is older...
#9 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anything by Tamora Pierce. Great female characters!

Someone gave me Alanna when I was about 11 and I loved them. In fact, I still have most of them!
#10 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklePony View Post
That has been my favorite book since I first read it around 6 or 7. However, even tho I love it and have read it many times over the years, I have yet to expose my DD9 to it because I am fairly certain she would be traumatized as well! Maybe when she is older...
LOL! I read it in 2nd grade and was sitting at my desk sobbing my eyes out during free read. The teacher just looked at me and said, "Oh, I guess you got to that part." and gave me a hug.

#11 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Oh yeah, I've cried as an adult over Where the Red Fern Grows, and I remember crying as a 12-year-old. To me it's not "dark" (I'd characterize something like "A Wrinkle in Time" as dark, in that it raises philosophical questions about the nature of evil, and has all that creepy mind-control stuff in it) but it's emotionally weighty, and very sad. Also, the protagonist is male.

Can I recommend Smekday again? Or Tamora Pierce, but especially Smekday.

Miranda
QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
#12 of 13 Old 12-17-2014, 06:23 AM

I just remember a couple that I loved at that age. The Secret Garden and The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

#13 of 13 Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recommend last year's Newbery medal winner, The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. The characters are animals and mostly male but still would be great for an 11 year old girl (or boy).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page