braces tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter's getting braces put on tomorrow. Any words of advice? Wsdom? I need to know what i'm in for!!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#2 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 02:09 PM

no words of wisdom or any advice, my teen luckily avoided braces....but sending you cyberhugs. hope it goes well
#3 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive had braces for over a year now, with a year to go. Ive heard its harder on adults.......its been a living hell for me. This second year has been harder than the first.

Have lots of soft foods for her.....applesauce, lots of yogurt.....baked potatoes.... I also use a tea tree mouth wash to help heal my mouth, as the inside of my mouth was completely cut up by the wires. I know alot of kids who breeze thru it, so maybe its just me.

Putting them on, though not painful....was very uncomfortable. The next 3-6 weeks after were a hard adjustment.

Hope it goes well!
#4 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

oh I hope it's not that hard for her... I had them when I was 16, but it wasn't too bad, hopefully she'll be resiliant...

#5 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 08:41 PM

I never had them but I remember two of my friends in high school did. They would get headsches everytime they were tightened b/c it hurt. So I would say especially the first time they tighten them be ready with the pain relief.
#6 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 09:11 PM

I second the soft food suggestion. Soup (hot, chilled, or in-between - whatever feels best to her) would be good. Popcicles to suck on might help out, if she wants cold.

Getting my braces on was worse than the first tightening, so I would be ready with pain relief. A good movie to watch to keep her mind off it for a couple of hours might be helpful. Or her choice of family games. I remember I felt like I was sick for about 2 days - couldn't eat, had to have special foods, headache, grouchy.

Good luck!
Ann-Marita

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#7 of 12 Old 05-31-2004, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yea, definetly some EX Strenth Tylenol on hand. And a good waterpik doesnt hurt either! I was going to get another Sonic toothbrush, but I go thru toothbrushes like they are going out of style! I get a big pack of Oral Bs from costco.

Yea, I get grouchy everytime I look in the mirror........I know it will be worth it someday.

Hey mama, how old is your dd? Just curious as my friends ds got his around 10.....by the time he got them off it was 3 1/2 yrs and now that he is 18, they are crooked again. She said getting them done early is definetly a disadvantage. Hard to get kids that young to wear their retainer afterwards, and that is the KEY to the success of them staying straight afterwards! Im 46....paying for my braces myself.......so I know Im gonna wear mine!
#8 of 12 Old 06-01-2004, 01:43 PM

I got braces when I was abt 12 and got them off when I was abt 14. After abt a year of tightenings they didnt hurt when i had then done. Have her take some tylenol BEFORE she goes to each drs appt. I really does get better w/each visit although it doesnt seem like it. She'll appreicate it as an adult so much more than she will now. I am eternally grateful to my gma who paid for mine. They also made me much more aware of my dental health and brushing practices.
#9 of 12 Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 PM

I'm 20 and I've had my braces on for a few weeks. Definately keep soft foods in the house (mashed potatoes were my favorite). Yogurt, jello, soups, ice cream, etc.

Tell her to follow all the instructions from the orthodontist so she keeps her brackets/gums/teeth sparkling clean. Don't let her eat popcorn, sticky candies (they should give you a list of a no-go foods).

Her teeth will be sore for awhile and I've found that sugarfree gum is a life saver. It gets the blood moving and relieves some swelling. Tell her not to be afraid to chew because her teeth need to stay strong while they are moving and adjusting. AND make sure that your orthodontist gives her wax for her brackets. I'm sure the inner sides of her lips are going to be bothered by them. Roll a tiny piece of wax between your fingers and gently press it on and form it around the brackets to relieve some of that discomfort. It helped to sleep with that on for the first 3 nights or so.

I hope that helps. Good luck to her! They really aren't *that* bad.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#10 of 12 Old 06-01-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well they're on! No biggie procedure-wise- she was fine. The head gear is bothering her but it's because she doesn't likte the appearance, not because it's causing pain... I gave her ibuprophen before we left. And we've got soft food galore right now, and I'm making her fav soup tonight (potato cheddar...). About her age- she's ten, but they said we need to do it sooner rather then later due to her type of alingment, and i got a second opinion on that because I too thought she was too young. I hope she does ok tonight and tomorrow, and I won't be here because one of my client's is getting induced today.

#11 of 12 Old 06-01-2004, 08:55 PM

She'll be okay. Ibuprofren is good when she starts to feel uncomfortable. I've never felt unbearable with my braces, so don't worry mom.

I hope everything goes okay with your client.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#12 of 12 Old 06-01-2004, 09:26 PM

my oldest got phase 1 braces at age 8-wore them to 10-and then started phase 2 at 12-and is still in them at 14.5. he'll be getting them off in one MORE yr. his bite was jacked up & needed a lot of re-alligning, etc. (sp)

glad she made it through

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page