New school fears!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2004, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 kids ,a 11 yr. old boy and a 15 yr old girl, The city we were living in had horrible schools , but our son loved his friends , Well we just recently moved to a smaller town about 25 miles away because they have awesome schools ,which our daughter is happy about because she did not want to the go the high school where we were, but our son is very mad and says he does not want to go and throws a fit. I am trying to get advice now soon enough that maybe we can get him to relax alittle and give it a chance. I have already called the school office and they do not do enrollment until the 28th. So I will have to wait till then to take him to see the school. What can I do until then?? I know it is hard for him right now because he only knows his last school, but I think he will be thinking us later. Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 03:01 PM

Has he met any new friends? See if the library has any summer activities or parks and rec and maybe he could meet some boys his own age and he wouldn't feel as anxious about starting if there were people he'll know once he gets there.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

we live way out in the country no houses for about a mile.
But we have plans to explore the town monday and go to places where kids would be. thank you
Old 07-13-2004, 08:47 AM

I feel his pain We moved no less the a half-a-dozen times when I was school-aged. Starting over at a new school is so hard when you get a little older. It's great that daughter is so okay with it

Definitely get out and try to explore the town some. Check out the library, find out if there are any youth groups, etc. I bet he'll feel 100x better if he meets even just one of his school mates before the 1st day of school.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:34 AM

I can really relate...
Last November I moved into a Condo that I bought. We lived in housing for his whole life...10 years. He remained in his school for the rest of the year(his school is near my workplace). We withstood the commute until the end of the year. In January 2004 I broke it to him that he would have to chnge schools for the 2004 - 2005 school year. He was very angry..he cried..I cried. I phoned my sister for moral support(she is a teacher, I am a single parent). I knew that the decision was right. He broke it to his special ed teacher and got some support at school. I remaained the Chair of the Parent Council but by February O had to resign because of the daily commute and the though of attending regional meetings for an area in which I no longer lived was daunting if not inappropriate to my mind.
With regards to my son. It is now August and he is excited about the new school. (I am very excited for him)
He however, has still not made any sustainable friends. Playing in the park (which I can see from my condo), independent bike rides, Camp(with local children) Have been fruitless. when he starts school he will adjust (he has befor when I switched him to a catholic school 4 years ago)
I still facilitate his freindships to a monor degree. i dont meen to sound selfish but I commute 5 days a week ---commuting 6or 7 to facilitate this on an ongoing basis is just too much for me.
With time possibly your son will realize that he is actually formin new friendships....
Michele
[email protected]

User Tag List