Teen Parenting Books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-12-2001, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have all been through the birthing, breastfeeding,baby,books do you have any good books that helped you understand you teenager ?
#2 of 6 Old 12-14-2001, 07:55 PM

Actually, Mothering Magazine has a book called Teens: A Fresh Look that I've read quite a bit of. I would recommend it, for sure! It is really a pretty neat book. There are others, I know, I just can't think of them right now.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2001, 09:26 PM

:-)
#4 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 05:03 PM

I have both Jane Nelson's book and Mothering's Fresh Look at teens. These are both wonderful and valuable books. I refer to them often. They have reassured me and picked me up out of several dark places while trying to raise our three teenagers.
#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2002, 04:02 AM

So far I have appreciated
How To Make Your Children Mind(Without Losing Yours) by Kevin Leman

Adolescance Isn't Terminal(It Just feels Like It)
Leman

Yes! Your Teenager is Crazy!

I'm Not Mad..I Just Hate You

Boundaries with Kids

When Your Child Drives You Crazy

Sorry I don't have the authors of most of these as the books are not in front of me. I remember Dr. Leman's because he is one of my favorite authors. I am sure Dr. Sears probably has one out. I am dealing with a 14 yo dd whose behaviour is frustrating my dh and I to no end. But that's for another day!
#6 of 6 Old 05-30-2002, 01:43 AM

Years ago we read a couple of books by Dr. Ross Campbell called "how to really love your child" and "How to really love your teenager". I don't know if these books are even still in print, but you might be able to find them in a La Leche League group library. My memory may have failed me but as I remember, Dr. campbell is much like Dr. Sears in his approach. He talks about keeping your kid's tanks full with: one on one attention, eye to eye contact and physical touch, every day. I found I had to remind myself to hug those boys even when they began to tower over me!! Girls seem to be more vocal and willing to talk about their feelings, but, they also shut down (or melt down) quickly when they overload emotionly. Teens are a lot like toddlers....and most of the time the same things work on both. Lots of love and patience and humor!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page