sensitive kid in a rowdy home - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-23-2002, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 kids 20,18,and the youngest 14. I am a divorced mom. Our family you could say is more like the Simpsons but the youngest is a sensitive child and the rest of us are more tough. I feel sorry for the little guy. He is entering puberty late and is getting moody and has a lot of sad spells. He has a melancholy nature and pouts when things do not go his way. The other kids are totally insensitive to him and basically tell him to get with the program. I try to understand but feel he needs to get over things. I am a person with a vary tough outside and soft inside. Actually our family is pretty dysfunctional but that is a very long story. I was the most reluctant mother in the world. I love my kids but sadly say if I had to do it again I wouldn't. I went through poverty in their early years and lost everything I had, my home everything. WE went to a shelter and moved up here in Canada from Atlanta and my kids were torn from everything they knew. I guess the pressures got to me and I parented very strictly but with a lot of guilt as to what happened to them. I have explained my feelings to them. I speak very openly but although we love each other, we are a fractured family. We have been to counseling a few times but the kids will not participate. I feel like a total failure as a mother.
#2 of 2 Old 08-28-2002, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(((((rickyshot)))))
My kids dont want to do conseling either <insert pout>
but that doesnt mean I cant get it myself- Ive found mentoring to be effective -
I also raised my family thru some very dysfunctional years but the last few have been blessed with love and recovery- and it feels sososos much better -the guilt doesnt work for me- I look at responsibility rather than fault- and then take appropriate action- agreed you cannot make them go to counseling but what I am doing now<crossing fingers> with oldest son in house now 16 is saying -when a problem arises ask him his solution, tell him mine(close supervision and counseling) -listen to him reject my solution, listen to myself reject his, then come up with a compromise, ok, we try his solution for two weeks- if theres no change we use supervision and if he gets into legal trouble AT ALL(or trouble at school)- we do counseling, since he believes he is above getting into legal trouble or trouble at school<shrug shoulders> and maybe he is- we will see- he agrees to counseling, then if the situation worsens I have his commitment( I wrote a paper and we both signed it) to do counseling-
its making me feel better atleast, like maybe theres boundaries?
I have 5 kids at home and my 10 ds is VERY sensitive, by far more than the rest, altho Ive not yet seen any depression so I welcome it(sensitivity I mean) Like your family there are things the rest of the kids tell him, yell at him to get over it - but...he deals with it usually- I step in sometimes as I do not permit them to yell at each other...but it happens alot anyways...
blessings of love and recovery for you- I hope to see you post more here, we havent all made healthy choices for our families all the time,many here seem to have made alot more healthy starts then I was able to with my children and I allow it to inspire me to make the healthy choices I want to make now-
hang in there- sorry Im rambling
mary

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page