Let your daughter wear this? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My gut reaction is HELL NO! But, thinking about it, yes.

I wouldn't buy it. I would be really frustrated. I sincerely hope that I raise my daughter to have a lot of respect for her body.

On the other hand, I also hope that my daughter thinks she is beautiful, no matter how she dresses or if she wears make up or not. I want her to be confident and proud of herself. If she thinks she look beautiful in something, I want her to feel like she can wear it. I am not going to forbid her to wear something when she is 16. I remember being 16, and if my parents had forbidden me anything like that, oh my gosh, I would have done everything in my power to wear it every damn day for the rest of my highschool years! I remember wanting to wear things that my father told me made me look, and I quote, "Like you're a g*dd*mn whore." I remember how much it hurt to hear that. If he would have just discussed it with me, reinforced how much he loved and trusted me, if he would have expressed his own opinion without the disgusted and condenscending tone, I might have valued his opinion.

I would probably give my opinion, and not too gently. The most disgusting part is the pricetag!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 04:41 AM

#63 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 10:10 AM

I would say NO but I would hope my DD has enough values and respect for her self and would say NO to wearing it. I think it inapprpriate for women to wear stuff like that it just doesnt flatter the human body what so even I dont think.
#64 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 11:25 AM

If my dd actually WANTED to wear that dress, I would tell her my feelings, but in the end, it's her money (I agree, I wouldn't buy it!), it's her body and it's her decision. I can only hope that her tastes are a bit better.

To me, the bigger issue is that our society is actually marketing dresses of this nature to our teenage women. AND someone has let their daughter decide to wear this dress, it's the top selling dress (from this company) this prom season.
#65 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 12:22 PM

I am with the group here that first would NEVER pay that much for a dress. I can't imagine any way my kids could or would either.

Beyond that I also agree that I would hope my daughter would have more self respect. If she didn't I would step in and say no way to that dress.

Collette
#66 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
Thankfully, neither of my daughters would WANT to wear a dress like that.

Yeah, but that model's ugly, misshapen implants look HOT!
#67 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice2
If my dd actually WANTED to wear that dress, I would tell her my feelings, but in the end, it's her money (I agree, I wouldn't buy it!), it's her body and it's her decision.
But where would she keep her axe?

:

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#68 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Yeah, but that model's ugly, misshapen implants look HOT!
And just WTH does that have to do with my daughters?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#69 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Um, no. Never. Ever.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#70 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 06:41 PM

Another vote for 'no way in hell' here. :LOL

I don't care if she's 16, 17, or 18 -- she's still my kid and needs guidance. Just cause you're a teen doesn't mean you don't still need your parents to draw the line for you, even about something like clothes. I remember lots of times shopping w/ my Mom as a teen when she wouldn't let me get something cause it wasn't appropriate. Know what? Looking back I remember being annoyed by it at the time, but now I'm grateful she had the backbone to do that!

Oh, and FWIW I'm pretty open about things like clothing, hair color, etc for older teens. But there's a line & that dress definitly crosses it.
#71 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, no NO!

Just... no. I have never seen a hooker, but I could imagine one wearing a dress just like this one.

Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#72 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten
Not in a million years.... and I think I am fairly liberal about teens and their hormones and sexuality.

Besides, I think she has it on backwards.
ROTFLMAO!!!! I totally agree with everything you said!
#73 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
And just WTH does that have to do with my daughters?
Whoops, Skell! Nothing at all, actually. I just pressed "quote" reflexively. My bad. :
#74 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 PM

OH MY OH MY OH MY.... now i dotn claim to be perfect. When i was in High School going to prom i woudl have wanted to be the one wearing this dress, simply for the attention, and hey since everyone already thought i was a wh*re then why not on the last big event? but NO WAY would I ever let my kid wear it. I would be deeply dissappointed at my own skill at mothering if my daughter even WANTED to wear it. (generally speaking, and from personal experience, if a girl wanted to wear a dress like this it would be because she felt unloved by her own parents, and was looking for attention in all the wrong places.) IMO.
MAN O MAN. I pray I never see the day ....

:shudder:
#75 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dh seems to think that any girl who wore that dress would be "called out" by her peers. I don't know...
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#76 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
But where would she keep her axe?

:
I think the skirt is floor length...bwhaaaaaa bwhaaaaaa

T

How ya doin sweetie...how's the family?

Back to your regularly scheduled thread
#77 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 PM

oh no absolutlynot
#78 of 111 Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice2
How ya doin sweetie...how's the family?
Update near the end of the thread We're doin' OK...thanks for asking, hon.

#79 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That dress is really ugly, not even sexy. Maybe if it was all black.........Anyway, I would let my daughter wear it (if I had one), but the school probably wouldn't. I'm liberal.

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#80 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 01:28 AM

NO NO NO.... I graduated from high school only 5 years ago.. (got married young, I know) anyway, I say that because I know exactly what high school guys think AND say about girls that dress like that. They SURE arent' thinking of them as nice girls who are probably quite smart. They all talk about how cheap and easy they must be. It sends the wrong message.

I hope that my girl will never WANT to wear something like that. I know I didn't.

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#81 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

:LOL I had no idea this would generate so much hilarious conversation!
#82 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 02:20 AM

that is one ugly dress - UGLY!! and i wonder how that model got it backwards, guess it wasn't skimpy enough to make the newspaper the proper way. i wish i could be more liberal minded about that dress, but i cannot see myself letting her out of the house in that, and for me that's only a few years away. not a chance. i also know she wouldn't make it passed my husband in that thing anyway i'm not opposed to short, slim-fitting, tight even revealing but that really is just too much for me. it's not even flattering.

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#83 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
I liked the designers page dresses. Especially the one in the middle!
Me too. The one in the middle is a cute dress.

The girl in the original article definitely has it on backwards.

I don't think I'll be dictating what my daughter can and can't wear if she goes to school and has a grad ceremony. It's her body, her choice. If she's shaped anything like me, though, the dress wouldn't really show anything anyway :LOL I hope she will have the confidence to wear a dress like that without tugging at it if she decides to, but I also hope she'd have the confidence to choose a dress that's less revealing. It's always sexier when something is left to the imagination, after all.
#84 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 03:02 AM

#85 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 03:05 AM

NO NO NO and I was sure I would say yes before I saw the dress!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#86 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 05:50 AM

NOOOOO! That dress is just wrong in so many ways. I'd let dye her hair purple but that dress would just kill me.
#87 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 08:30 AM

I was just thinking that the dress covers more than many bikinis do...

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#88 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I was just thinking that the dress covers more than many bikinis do
True, but this is a formal dance not a trip to the beach

I am liberal too in many ways. I am a Libertarian which means I support others right to wear that trashy dress
When it comes to my kids though, I feel it is my job to offer guidance. They certainly are on their way to adulthood and need to have more and more independence as they grow older. To me that does not mean complete freedom to make asses out of themselves or to put themselves in harms way in such an extreme way. I feel my job is more than just to provide shelter and food. JMO.

Collette
#89 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
I was just thinking that the dress covers more than many bikinis do...
Maybe so, but who can deny that the dress is just. plain. UGLY., even worn in the "correct" fashion?????? It still looks like something you'd see Anna Nicole Smith spilling out of at the Playboy mansion.

#90 of 111 Old 01-29-2005, 02:26 PM

LOL!

I don't think the dress is nice looking either, and my daughter and I would have a few go rounds over her wanting to wear it. I can't say, however, what the outcome of those discussions would be- on the long list of teen behaviors, and picking your battles, clothes and hair would be a low priority. I don't think the dress is appropriate for a prom, but I would hope that my DD and I could come up with a suitable compromise, after talking about her reasons for liking the dress, and my reasons for opposing.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page