Help my dd wants to Gauge her ear - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 10-26-2006, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A 10ga ear isn't that huge or stretched out looking, my ears are 14 and my "other" piercings are 12ga. The bigger sizes are actually more comfortable because the metal is less likely to cut into the skin. It took me about a year to go from 18ga (regular earrings) to 14ga and that's only 2 sizes but I just did it slowly! I'd like to go to 12ga so that all my piercings are the same size, but I haven't ever saved enough $$ for quality jewelry.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Picture156.jpg 14ga looks pretty normal

Good jewelry is key. Also the weight of bigger jewelry will stretch some so I wear Titanium in my VCH because the thin skin is prone to stretching anyway. I haven't had any problems in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 86 Old 10-27-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganW View Post
These holes do not always close as they should. DH has his ears stretched to an inch and a quarter and nothing short of plastic surgery will correct it if he ever decides he doesn't like it.
I would say that comparing 10ga to 1 1/4" is nothing short of misguided and ignorant.

babyf.gif

#63 of 86 Old 10-27-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
A 10ga ear isn't that huge or stretched out looking, my ears are 14 and my "other" piercings are 12ga. The bigger sizes are actually more comfortable because the metal is less likely to cut into the skin.
Yep! The smallest size that GOOD piercers will pierce at (aside from cartilage, which is a bit different) is 14ga, for good reason.

babyf.gif

#64 of 86 Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 PM

Depending on her reasons, I would let her at 13. I'm aiming for certain standards when it comes to my children asking for things that might be outside my comfort zone:

-Is it self-harming?
-Is it harmful to others?
-Is it permanent?
-Have they really put some thought into it?
-Can they take responsibility for their decision?

You could make an argument for self-harming, but I'm thinking more of intent here than the fleeting pain of piercing. If she could earn the money for the piercing(s) and be responsible for keeping it clean while healing, I wouldn't forbid it.

As far as the job worries go, my husband has an earring through his upper ear and hair halfway down his back, and works for a computer tech firm. No hassles. A friend also has long hair and a tongue piercing and works for a VERY conservative firm. So every morning he puts on his shirt and tie, his slacks, ties his hair back, and puts in a clear barbell through his tongue. It's been 6 years and they don't even know his tongue is pierced. (Even after the time he got a Lifesaver stuck on his barbell during a meeting, right before he had to give a speech. )
#65 of 86 Old 10-27-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
You could make an argument for self-harming, but I'm thinking more of intent here than the fleeting pain of piercing. If she could earn the money for the piercing(s) and be responsible for keeping it clean while healing, I wouldn't forbid it.
It's not exactly a "piercing," and the pain (it's really more of a stretching-burn and then soreness) is not fleeting.

Rather, in simplistic terms, it's putting a larger earring into a hole with the intent of making that hole larger.

IMO it's better to learn how to do it yourself than to go to a piercer for it. It puts you in control, helps you figure out what feels right and what feels wrong, etc. And if you do your research, the process itself is pretty hard to screw up (unlike piercing yourself).

babyf.gif

#66 of 86 Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
I would say that comparing 10ga to 1 1/4" is nothing short of misguided and ignorant.
: i couldn't have said it better.
#67 of 86 Old 10-27-2006, 05:25 PM

One other thing to add - and I know to some this sounds painfully obvious - some people don't realize that body piercers do not use piercing "guns" like in the mall. Of course, this doesn't pertain to stretching, but the number of parents we have bringing their kids in thinking our body piercer uses a "gun" is somewhat suprising.

I guess my only other thought on this issue is that if the worst trouble your kid ever gives you is that she/he wants to stretch his/her ears, I would get on my knees and thank whoever. There are so many things kids can choose to do that is actually harmful or dangerous, stretching their earlobes isn't even on my List of Things to Worry About. Just my opinion.
#68 of 86 Old 10-28-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Yep! The smallest size that GOOD piercers will pierce at (aside from cartilage, which is a bit different) is 14ga, for good reason.
I had my lobes done at the mall years ago before I joined the piercing communities and learned better. Thankfully, I survived it. I would never do it again!
I also stretched all of mine myself, slow is the key with good jewelry to back it up

Quote:
I agree.
#69 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 PM

If it were me, I would probably let her do it, although I would set some sort of deadline, like, "let's wait 3 months, you save your money, and if you still think it's worth it, I'll take you." THat way, you'll both know it's not a flash-in-the-pan interest, and she'll have time to really think about it rather than acting on impulse.

I would INSIST she go to a professional peircer with professional, sterile equipment and that she pay for the service and jewelry herself- either with money she earns/saves or by earning through standards you set. And I would talk to her and the peircer and agree on a nice, slow plan for doing the gauging and have her agree to it. honestly, I think having her do it slowly will give her things to look forward to and make it more something she "earns".

I would let a teenager stretch her ears ANYDAY before I'd let an under-16/17/18 year old pierce her belly button. Navel piercings are painful, ridiculously long and slow in healing, and easily infected. And they are intended to be sexy and shown by pulling up your shirt. Which is fine for people of an appropriate age, but I hate to see girls younger and younger making body and fashion decisions aimed at being sexy. but I would rather my daughter have fun, punky ear piercings than a navel piercing hands down.

DH has his ears stretched right now to a 4 and most people wouldn't even noticed they were stretched. He constantly loses his earrings, and when he does they go down 2-4 gauges within days. He took out his earrings for a few months and had to start back at the beginning. And he didn't start until his late 20's.

Do go slow and set some standards - i would not allow her to stretch her own, but that's me. However, my mother would NEVER allow me to get a second earring when I was 14. So I got this guy Benji i sorta knew who played bass in a band to pierce it in the front seat of his car with an earring my friend loaned me. It's still there. If she had said yes, the outcome would have been the same - only it would have been done sterily and professionally. Not saying anyone else's kid would do the same - or that the "they'll just do it behind your back" arguement is a good reason to say yes. But my mom couldn't give me a reason WHY it wasn't okay other than what other people would think - and I couldn't have cared LESS what other people think. It was in for months before she noticed - and it took my folks over a year before they noticed my toungue ring.

And, for what it's worth, I've never been turned down for a job for which I was qualified - despite my toungue ring, now-removed eyebrow piercing, and 10 lobe and cartilage ear piercings - including teaching public high school, various waitressing jobs, 1-on-1 tutoring with teenagers, and teaching at a community college.
#70 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWindmill View Post
I guess my only other thought on this issue is that if the worst trouble your kid ever gives you is that she/he wants to stretch his/her ears, I would get on my knees and thank whoever. There are so many things kids can choose to do that is actually harmful or dangerous, stretching their earlobes isn't even on my List of Things to Worry About. Just my opinion.
I think this is a very good point that bears repeating.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#71 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM

:

babyf.gif

#72 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It's not exactly a "piercing," and the pain (it's really more of a stretching-burn and then soreness) is not fleeting.
If stretching a lobe piercing hurts, you’re doing it wrong. Pain during a non-cartilage stretch is your body telling you it’s not quite ready. I've never had any amount of pain during a stretch, there is a small amount of soreness, which is your body accommodating the larger piece of jewelry, but that usually goes away within 12 hours with some light massage with a vitamin e oil.
#73 of 86 Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm gauging my ears to a 4 (right now I'm at an 8) , I think small and cute and they could shrink back to normal size later should I not want them big anymore someday. I've found great deals on my earrings on Ebay ($3 ish for a pair plus $3 shipping) the local place charges $8 per earring. I'm using the dead stretching method and just going up to a larger gauge every couple of weeks. This has been working well and give my ears time to stretch slowly and without pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_gauging

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#74 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedboy View Post
I've never had any amount of pain during a stretch
Did it hurt at all the very first time you went up a size? One of the people I work with at the shop had some bleeding and pain when she was first "stretched."
#75 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 01:48 AM

Not at all. It has never hurt to stretch. I had my ear dermal punched at a 00, and then stretched up to 3/4 inch this time. Previously I started at 14 and stretched up to 00.
#76 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 AM

Hi,
I'm 30 years old and in the process of stretching right now. I have a couple of thoughts for you, because I am thinking things through especially as regards "grown-up" jewelry and possibly being able to wear the real stuff with actual cut stones and things ever again.

1. 10 is not very big. I was at a 10 last week, and when I took the posts out the hole looked pretty normal. Left them out overnight and it was hard to get the jewelry back in. Not a big deal, it would totally be OK to do that and still be able to wear post or wire earrings.

2. I think with this stretching trend that we're seeing, in a few years more jewelers, especially the more artistic craftspeople, will be making jewelry to fit stretched holes. There are already some beautiful pieces available in horn and bone, and with carved semi-precious stones. This is why I'm doing it, because I'm allergic to some metals and am hoping I can wear the organic materials. I can imagine beautiful designs with gold, silver, and stones. Maybe Titanium because it is lighter...

3. My mom and dh bought me a ring and pendant set for my birthday, like these. We were in a jewelry store looking for a chain for the pendant, and I was browsing the jewelry. All of the earrings looked strange to me, and I could imagine how they would look as "piercing" jewelry instead, and to me it seemed like a much more fluid design choice. Looking at people with those wires and earring backs, I think they look weird, like there's this ugly extra metal bit attached to the earring so that it can go through that tiny hole.

I guess my point is that lots of kids are doing it (and grown-ups too) and yes, at the larger sizes it is more permanent. That means that it will be a lot more normal as these people get older, and jewelry will be made to suit and it won't be any big deal.

Just my 2 cents.
#77 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWindmill View Post
Did it hurt at all the very first time you went up a size? One of the people I work with at the shop had some bleeding and pain when she was first "stretched."
Was she going from a regular ear hole up to a 12 the first time? I could see that, but you don't really want the skin to tear.

I get a pinchy feeling and maybe some swelling, but it goes away in a day or two. Ring of fire, lol.
#78 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 02:47 AM

Oh, and I'm using glass, Pyrex, plugs which I really like. I am allergic to some metals, nickel especially, and this is the only jewelry that I've been able to stand for any length of time.

At first I tried to do it myself with "surgical steel" figuring it would be cheaper, but me ear swelled up and oozed and my glands on my neck swelled up. I thought I had an infection, so I took out the jewelry and let it heal, then went to the piercing shop. Allergy, he tells me. So, I get glass. It costs $20 for the jewelry and the stretching is free, though I tip.

I'm doing what the pp said, stretching gradually every 2 weeks or so, once the hole feels comfortable and healed. My piercer actually said that he recommends people come more often, and catch the window when the scar is granulizing but isn't healed yet, but I think he has great big earlobes in mind when he says that. I don't want huge plugs. I've got two holes in each ear, I think I'm going to 6 and 4, or maybe 8 and 4. Then I'll stop.
#79 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 04:21 PM

You might want to try Niobium, or Surgical grade Titanium as well. My DW has problems with steel, but no problems with the titanium jewelry. I really like glass and organics, but you have to be a lot more carefull. I lost a nice pair of pyrex eyelets when I knocked them off the counter onto the tile, and a nice pair of coconut plugs when they got wet.
#80 of 86 Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM

Gosh, she was...eep, you know, I don't know. I just remember she was all excited that day because our piercer/tattoo artist was going to move her up a size "finally."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
Was she going from a regular ear hole up to a 12 the first time? I could see that, but you don't really want the skin to tear.

I get a pinchy feeling and maybe some swelling, but it goes away in a day or two. Ring of fire, lol.
#81 of 86 Old 11-03-2006, 08:26 PM

Sorry, piercedboy, but it DOES hurt for some people. I stretch correctly (it took me 2 years to reach 1/2" -- I'm past that now, but I stayed there for a long time), and it still burns to stretch. Not everyone has the same amount of skin elasticity. I could not stretch EVER if I believed that I could NEVER stretch without burning. You are very lucky to have such elastic tissue. I have been told that I have "perfect" stretchies with no scar tissue, so I have a feeling I'm doing it correctly

Speaking of jewelry, I just ordered these:

http://bodyartforms.com/productdetai...ProductID=2612
Beeyootiful

babyf.gif

#82 of 86 Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 PM

Those are lovely. I was eyeballing some red tiger eye, myself...
#83 of 86 Old 11-03-2006, 10:24 PM

Be carefull with the organics from that site. They aren't all very high quality, and I've found some very sharp edges I've had to take care of on what I've gotten from there.
#84 of 86 Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
wow this was a year and a half ago thread resurrected. joline i wanna know how it went. did she do it and does seh still have it or has she changed her mind?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#85 of 86 Old 11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Me View Post
Now I'm off to continue reading the posts -- and hope that I'm not the only mom out there who would say "No" to this.......

I'm right there with ya.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#86 of 86 Old 11-05-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedboy View Post
Be carefull with the organics from that site. They aren't all very high quality, and I've found some very sharp edges I've had to take care of on what I've gotten from there.
You get what you pay for, I guess.

organicjewelry.com (I think) has some lovely stuff. I go to a shop that stocks some of their things, have bought several pieces from them, and it's great. You have to be careful with the prices, though -- retail is twice the listed price.

babyf.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page