Are your kids bigger then you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-27-2001, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 13 year old son is now taller and outweighs me by at least 20 pounds. Any other moms out there with big sons growing like crazy at a young age? How do you cope with seeing your child get so old in appearance, but still be so much a little boy?

I felt sad watching my oldest son play with his younger bros (7 and 4) HotWheels this Christmas. He wears glasses and is 5.9. now, so he looks much older then just turned 13. While he is very responsible for his age, I am having to remind myself he is not an adult all the time, as he wants to play and does goofy 13 year old boy stuff. Any other parents going through this?
#2 of 15 Old 12-27-2001, 01:01 PM

My oldest is also 13 & is the same size as me -5'8" & about 135 pounds.They grow so fast,I do not feel old enough to have a teenager. ( I am 35 )Thank God he is not into anything I was at his age.
I hope attatchment parenting helps him grow up & remain close to his family while still becoming independent.

::
momma to 4
#3 of 15 Old 12-27-2001, 01:29 PM

My son just turned 14 yesterday. He is 5 inches taller than me or his Father. It is amazing watching him grow, not only physically but intellectually and emotionally. He can be such a contradiction sometimes!! On one hand, arguing for more "priveleges" because he feels he's mature enough, on the other, arguing with his 4 yr. old sister over who gets the last cookie!
It certainly is an intersting age...

peggy
#4 of 15 Old 12-27-2001, 04:27 PM

Greetings!
Talking about growing up ...My son is 14 years old , 6ft 4in, wears size 16 shoe, and weighs 240lbs! Of course he is very strong, when he pats my back I feel he is about to push me down flat on the floor.
The real hard thing to remember is that he is only 14years old and is mentally that age and physically appears to be a lot older .I am always trying to remind friends of this when he wants to try new things ..let him be a kid!
The scarey thing is that he is STARTING to get the teenage munchies eating a lot all the time !!! Never stops !I do not know what I am going to do ! I try to have lots of GOOD food in the house of course he wants the junk food so I do buy some ..I feel moderation is the key to everything.
I have consulted our family Dr. on his growth it has been constant for the last 6years , all lab work shows NORMAL .
I am 5ft6in and my dh is 6ft.
His sibiling are about average for there age ..but so was he !!!
#5 of 15 Old 12-28-2001, 04:42 PM

My oldest is 13 too and he's 5'10. He only weighs 114 though, he's skinny as a rail!
I can't believe my first baby is so big!
He's still the same sweet soul he's always been though :-)
#6 of 15 Old 12-28-2001, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

It is very comforting to read these posts!
#7 of 15 Old 01-07-2002, 11:16 PM
MCR

These post make my 13yo seem tiny He has passed me up by 4 inches (I'm 5ft) and is as heavy as me, 110lbs. His feet are aleady as big as his father 10 1/2. He looks his age but to me he looks like a labrador puppy, huge feet on long legs. One day he'll even out I'm sure.
#8 of 15 Old 01-13-2002, 11:39 PM

Oh, no!
Apparently, my aunts were right, my kids were under nourished with no formula or gerbers during infancy!
I am 5'1.5", ex is 5'8".
DD 17.5 years: 5' even, hasn't grown in over a year now.
DS 16 years, tall for us, 5'10" so far, will eat a meal for a family of six as a snack.
DS 12 years is almost up to my eyes.
DD 11 next month almost to my shoulders.
Good grief!
All very healthy, but I was recently reading the football roster for my 12 yr old ds's grade, and all of those kids weigh as much as I do!
???
The Borrowers comes to mind...
#9 of 15 Old 01-18-2002, 08:04 AM

My 16y/o dd is taller than me by an inch (5'2") and is larger in clothes size. We don't weigh ourselves often so I really dont know how much she weighs.

I think its uncomfortable for both of us, because we still love to cuddle and co- sleep. Its funny when she tries to sit on my lap

cute thread.

ediesmom

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#10 of 15 Old 01-19-2002, 05:22 PM

Well, all I can say is that I am glad my first wasn't my only, because my aunts would all be convinced that I stunted her growth by starving her of the benefits of the formula and baby food!
Thank God I have *one* big kid!
Tracy
#11 of 15 Old 01-29-2002, 09:41 PM

Uh, gee, I didn't mean to scare everyone off! It's okay, really!
Tracy
#12 of 15 Old 01-30-2002, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

You know, since I first posted my son actually grew almost an inch taller! He also has size 12 man's shoes, barjem- where on earth do you find size 16s? I am feeling lots better about his growth spurts, now to restock the fridge lol
#13 of 15 Old 02-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Banned

I am a single mom and my youngest son was taller than me when he was 10 or 11, he is now 13. I have 3 sons and I am so glad that I never relied on intimidation as discipline.

What is scarry for me is that my youngest has bipolar disorder. People with bipolar can become psychotic and violent especially is they don't take their meds. His father had bipolar disorder and tried to kill me and my two older sons (from a previous marriage). That is why I am single.

My son takes his medication without any problems. Many people with bipolar disorder don't want to take meds because they enjoy being manic. Fortunatly he doesn't like the flight of ideas that comes with mania and takes the medications as perscribed.

Any one else out there afraid their man size teens could really hurt them?
#14 of 15 Old 02-05-2002, 12:23 AM

I have been intimitated by my oldest son age 15 size 6'4" 257pounds size 16 shoe ....Deep down he is a Gentle Giant....
.He has been told if he ever gets upset with ME (mom) and trys to strike me DH will make sure he never uses his hands again
This came up when he had been watching a show on TV making it look cool to show no respect for mothers.
We have never had a problem and do not expect one but he does know the consiquences
He was raised AP and is very close to me we have a great relationship tells me when things are bothering him and I hope this continues.
#15 of 15 Old 02-07-2002, 12:23 AM
Red

Wow, this is jsut what's been going on at our house! Our 13 dd is 5' 10 1/2" and weighs 204 lbs! We're concerned because, after a visit to Grandma's where we all weighed ourselves, we found Rose had gained 30 lbs in 5 months. We've made a doctors appointment 'cause I'm afraid of what might be 6 months from now.
She is sweet and easy, thank the Goddess! I'm 5'9" and hubby is 5'6". Oldest DD is 22 and 5'8", 19ds is also 5'8", and both weigh about 130lbs. YOunger kids are also skinny. ( I got to 190 just before delivering twins! What the heck did we feed these kids?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page