son not eating till 4 pm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-25-2002, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 11 yo is sleeping over a t a friends house and I went into his room for a tidy-up while he's away (NOT snooping!) - I usually change his sheets and vacuum if he's away

anyway - his rubbish bin was full so I emptied it and found at least two weeks worth of rotting packed lunches

while I know it's common for kids to avoid their lovingly-packed lunches, what bothers me is this - he was eating breakfast every morning till the last week (says he isn't hungry) so if lunch is uneaten he has nothing till after school at 4 pm

there is no cafeteria or other means of getting food at school (unless his mates are sharing)

he is very careful about what he eats because of multiple allergies and makes specific requests about what gets packed for lunch so as to avoid bad smells, they make him gag

any thoughts?? aren't boys at this age notorious for eating vast amounts preparatory to the big growth spurt? he doesn't seem unwell or overly anxious (this has been a problem in the past but never affected eating)

???

of course we will be having a chat about it when he gets home...
#2 of 7 Old 10-26-2002, 03:29 PM

hmmm...my first thought was he should plan his own lunches so you're sure he's getting stuff he'll eat..then I read the rest of your post and saw he already does that.
Did you talk to him yet? What does he say about this?
I agree that an 11 yr old boy (or anyone for that matter) should not be having their first food of the day at 4:00 pm.

How does he feel about "smoothies", you can sneak an awful lot of nutrition into one of those!

peggy
#3 of 7 Old 10-26-2002, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for yr response peggy

we went for a walk and a talk - he says he's just not hungry!

I managed to find a few things he thought he might eat for lunch..

and I will definitely suggest a smoothie for breakfast

also a bottle of floradix probably wouldn't go astray
#4 of 7 Old 10-27-2002, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

and this morning he asked if he could cook noodles for breakfast with miso soup??? he ate two huge bowls...

is this just to keep me on my toes???
#5 of 7 Old 10-27-2002, 09:37 AM

oh yeah! Sounds like he's not going to starve to death and that he's going to eat his way....

peggy
#6 of 7 Old 10-27-2002, 09:45 AM

Well, emmaline, that's an amazing boy you have :LOL
Just like mine! ds does the same thing although we are fortunate to not have the allergy issues. Is it just not cool to eat lunch or something? He'll take and eat cookies and other cr*p, and he used to eat well, really, he did. Now it's only white bread (so I buy enriched with soya flour) and he'll rarely eat veggies without a nag. My best friend's brother used to be the same way, though and he is now healthy and eats healthy. There is hope for these guys. I'm just keeping at it, asking him what he's eaten, then talking about proper nutrition. He says he doesn't want to tell me what he's eaten b/c I'll get mad. (?) I have to promise not to and discuss the issue w/o judgment. He definitely keeps me on my toes!
#7 of 7 Old 10-27-2002, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

the total uncoolness of lunch, very sad

the thing is, too, this is often how my dh operates!!! how do they do it? I'd be falling over from low blood sugar

ds is getting more adventurous with food, adding a few more veggies to his repertoire, I know there's hope!

I should remember that at age 15 or so I turned my parents idea of nutrition on it's head by becoming a vegetarian....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page