present for 14 yo boy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-27-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nephew is turning 14 and is into the usual: rap, stereos, computers, xbox, etc. I am not. I don't want to just give him money but I am at a loss. As he has gotten older, we've grown more apart so I don't feel like I know a secret interest of his, either. Any suggestions?
#2 of 9 Old 05-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor
My nephew is turning 14 and is into the usual: rap, stereos, computers, xbox, etc. I am not. I don't want to just give him money but I am at a loss. As he has gotten older, we've grown more apart so I don't feel like I know a secret interest of his, either. Any suggestions?

How about taking him somewhere? You could tell him to choose the place (a favorite restaurant? concert? movie? play or other event?) My sister has done this with my older kids and they've loved the special attention.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 9 Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor
I have bought MANY gifts for people that I am not into. I don't think that is the idea. The idea is to find something they enjoy whether wedo or not

How about a skate board? Or a gift certificate to a skate board shop since most kids know what boards are "in" or not.

Gift certificate to a clothing store for skater or those into hip hop clothing?

Perhaps as his parents or one of his friends if you can contact them?

Hope this helps
#4 of 9 Old 05-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think we should give what the person is into, not what we are into.

Movie theatre tickets? Gift certificate to a music store so he can choose what he wants?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 9 Old 05-29-2005, 04:44 PM

I agree that the gift giver doesn't have to like the gift, just should think the receiver will appreciate it. I like gift certificates for teens. Movie theater, music store, game shop, the local mall, bookstore, restaraunt htey like, etc..
#6 of 9 Old 05-31-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I do agree that the present doesn't have to be something that I love but many of these things are expensive and it bothers me to spend a lot of money on something that I really don't like. I want a balance where he likes it, but I am also excited to give it to him. Taking him some place is an interesting idea. Does he really want to go some place with me? I am a teacher at his school! Gifts certificates are ok and what I'll probably end up doing. .. just hoping for a flash of inspiration to hit me.
#7 of 9 Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does he have internet access and a CD burner? you could get him a month's membership to one of the legal music download sites and a box of blank cds.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#8 of 9 Old 06-02-2005, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Oh! That is a good idea! I will check with my sister. Thanks.
#9 of 9 Old 06-04-2005, 08:52 PM

I like the blank cd idea...that's what I did for my cousin who just turned 14 for christmas last year. What about a memory card for the xbox? I dont know if the xbox has memory cards, but I was just thinking if the playstation 2 has them, maybe the xbox has similar things...those things are expensive for a 14 year old to buy too...25 bucks or something...anyways..good luck!
Movie passes are cool too..especially if he hasn't seen the new star wars yet...LOL...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page