Granolamom and others who homeschool preteens and teen, I have a question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-08-2002, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading your posts and was wondering, where do you take your kids to make friends. My kids are 10, 12, 13 and 15. The homeschool group we belong to is really Christen(sp) and the kids really don't want to go. There are 3 groups around where we live, but all are religious. Any ideas? Thanks.
#2 of 8 Old 11-08-2002, 07:56 PM

I don't take my dd anywhere to make friends. We live in a great neighborhood with lots of kids. And the best part is I don't have to do carpool duty. Feels like my own childhood.
#3 of 8 Old 11-09-2002, 01:46 AM

group not being what you need

My ds had a few friends from ps that he is still friends with
He also has met some new ones at the local skating rink
Also from one of the shops he shops at in the mall

maybe you could try 4-h or some community ed classes??

Or start your own gathering group for the ages? There could be some others out there in the same boat you are. What was that thing from my younger ones muppet movie ??

""build it and they will come..""

Good luck
#4 of 8 Old 11-10-2002, 04:59 AM

Welcome Butterfly

I have a 13 and 11 yr old who homeschool and we have a similiar problem. I have been taking them to anything and everything they are interested in as far as classes or groups. I also work hard to create groups with a few friend's kids etc. You have enough kids to have a group and invite some others. Also, our homeschool "teacher" has kind of matchmade my kids with other kids the same age who appear compatable to her.

Good luck, thanks for the thread, I will be watching for other good ideas as well!
#5 of 8 Old 11-11-2002, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Girl Scout troops generally are welcoming to home schoolers and provide a way to make friends, explore interests, and learn about new interests you never knew you had!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 11-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Dar

My daughter has made friends through community theater productions, soccer, girl scouts, and through homeschooling connections I've made online. A lot of our teen friends have connected through Not Back to School Camp (www.nbtsc.org) and they take buses and trains and get together fairly often. They also spend a lot of time online chatting to each other...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#7 of 8 Old 11-12-2002, 03:42 AM

My 14 yr old makes friends because of his interests. He made some through volunteering at a PBS TV studio to leanr to use the equipment he took classses from them, it was really fun. He has taken acrylic painting classes from the art league, some hs things at the local college and we belong to two large hs groups that have teen clubs.
It is my 9 yr old that has me worried
Mary hsing mom of ds14, ds9, ds5, dd3.

Try following this link to find other hsers near you--
http://www.homeschoolmedia.net/register/
this is the homeschool social register
#8 of 8 Old 11-12-2002, 11:42 AM

Hello Butterfly,

We ran into a situation very much like yours a few years back. So, we started our own "unschooling" group. I found many memebers by posting a sign at our local healthfood store and at a vegetarian pot luck which we have monthly in our area.

This helped find memebrs who are more like minded.

My kids also have a large group of friends who are schooled away from home. Our house is always open to their friends. I have a never ending group of teens who are in and out on a daily basis.

Vanna's mom had a could idea about art groups and things like that. My kids have always been involved with local theater groups and such.

Good luck,

Granolamom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page