Help... bicycle problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2005, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I hope I am not the only person with this problem. Please Help. My daughter rode a bike when she was younger (3-4 yrs) and then didn't ride for a few years. She is now 9 yrs old and wants to learn but she is scared to death!! She is too big for me to run along behind holding the seat so I put training wheels on but she gets on and sits and says that she is too scared to peddle. She gets frustrated and I get frustrated and then we are done for the evening. Anyone got any suggestions???

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 AM

I'd love to hear some ideas too...

my ds is also 9...and terrified to ride w/o training wheels...but his bike is too big for training wheels (we got a pair that said they would fit, but they don't : )

We backed off and decided that he can learn at any point and if we were all frustrated it wasn't worth it at that point...

but I'd still love to help him learn!

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 06-15-2005, 05:03 PM

It can help to practice tipping the bike, they'll see it is easy to stop your fall by putting your foot out. Have Your son or daughter wear long pants, a helmet, elbow, wrist and knee pads (the more protected you are, the less you fear falling). Practice in a big empty parking lot, a church paking lot is usually empty during the week. It's much easier if you don't have to worry about running into anything. Don't look down! Keep your eyes where you want to go-- forward. Practice for one hour, five days in a row.

That's what has worked for us.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Look ahead and ride fast - the faster you go the straighter you go!

Have you got a path with grass on either side near you? My boys learned in the park and the grass either side provided a slightly softer landing. they never had training wheels, but ds2 had trouble setting off - this was his biggest problem. He still has to set the pedal up carefully to push off with his right foot, but in doing that he forgets to look ahead because he is looking at his feet!

Can you tell your dd that falling off isn't failure, its just learning? And if she knows how to fall off that's a good thing?!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice. We are going out tonight to give it another try. It's weird because she has been horse back riding for over 2 years and has fallen off/been throw several times but still gets right back on.... maybe it's because horses can't tip over. :

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah.... it worked. We went out tonight and used some of your suggestions and she rode down our street and back... twice!! She is feeling very proud of herself!! Thanks so much...

User Tag List