What pads are best for young girls? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just want to second the recommendation for natracare. there is also organic essentials brand.

when i was younger, before i got 'weird' (hehe!) i used mainstream tampons. i had terrible, mind-rending cramps and even took serious pain meds for them. when i switched to organic tampons, it was night and day- i kid you not. and that was before i was a believer.

i am not sure- i don't think girls are uncomfortable with themselves and then 'get comfortable'. i think they are always at home in their bodies unless we teach them otherwise.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#32 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
:
#33 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 AM

: waiting for the snap up brand to be mentioned

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#34 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
: waiting for the snap up brand to be mentioned

I made my own, but Glad Rags have snaps. http://gladrags.com/category/Gladrag...+Day+Pads.html

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#35 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 12:43 PM

I wasn't referring to getting comfortable with your body type concerns, really. Before I had babies, I couldn't physically comfortably wear tampons, even, and I'm thinking it would have been hard to get the Diva cup in also. I've met a lot of young girls who also have physical discomfort trying to insert something - even with help. I haven't used the Diva, though, so maybe I'm wrong and it's really easy and comfortable to insert.
I live in an area where I'm the only weirdo even using cloth diapers for miles. I've never even met someone who cloth diapered full time (except my own mom) and certainly never met anyone IRL who used mama cloth. My dd is very shy and nervous about the whole idea of periods. I think she'd rather die than use cloth. But, we'll see. Perhaps she'll be a convert at some point.
She swims on the swim team, so we'll have to come up with some solution for that, too. She's just 10, now, but has a little pubic hair, and a few hairs under her arms so I'm guessing about a year to go.
#36 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 PM

I understand about the hesitation toward using cloth. When I first heard about mama cloth, I was like, "WHOA! You can DO that?!"

Of course, now I think they're the coolest thing since sliced cheese. :LOL Thanks so much for the mention of GladRags, I will definitely check them out!
#37 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 09:10 PM

Can I just chime in and say that Freshies makes a perfect teen size pad! the petite size is perfect!
#38 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Great post! I am actually doing research for my masters thesis on preparing girls for menarche. Preteen and young teen girls, especially those of average or petite builds tend to prefer disposable pads that are thin. Wings are an acquired preference, often liked best by girls who are athletic or active or who bleed more heavily than many of their peers. I always suggest allowing a practice run -- a test drive of sorts. Why not purchase at least 3 types of pads and have her try them out without a period. She will handle the period better if she already has established a comfort level with wearing a pad and with having selected the pad she likes best. I am a bit reluctant to offer recommendations for a specific pad as it really is something of a matter of personal preference.

Since being discreet is very important to girls her age, disposables tend to be the place to start.
#39 of 90 Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I used sposie pads, I HATED the wings. They always seemed to get caught on my pubic hair, or the adhesive would stick to itself. I liked the kotex ultra thin longs without wings (as a size 16+ adult. I'd go for the "normal length" for a young teen.) As a teenager, I used tampons with pantyliners for backup. Much smaller and more discreet to carry around.

ETA I've never had personal experience with the "natural" brands of sposies, they weren't available when I was a teen. Just remembering my own insecurities in middle school, I can't imagine using cloth away from home when menstruating is so new. Then again, Leah's a heck of a lot more confident than I was at her age so who knows?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#40 of 90 Old 06-24-2005, 01:20 AM

Could some of you cloth using mamas tell me where one goes to learn about cloth? Is there a board around here where such is discussed?
After this discussion, I though maybe I'd look into cloth for myself since I have such skin irritation issues. I tried looking for Dar's brand on e-bay but couldn't find them. Where do I go to find out some basic info?
#41 of 90 Old 06-24-2005, 02:54 AM

Hey DoctorJen,

I learned a ton about cloth pads from Luna pads website.. its pretty informative they also sell their own brand .. they are *ok* but not my first choice.

I hate wings on disposables but find them very different on cloth.. I have used glad rags and they are a nice trim design and I love Freshies fresh moon pads.. all natural mamas sells them as well as www.freshies.ca

There is some good reviews on mama cloth at diaper pin too!

I used to be totally disgusted at the idea of cloth pads.. however after my last baby was born I developed a BAD allergy to any kind of disposable pad or tampon.. so cloth it became and wow I am sooo amazed at how simple and comfortable it is even if I could go back now I wont.

I plan to stock my daughter up with freshies RP size pads when her time comes .. shes almost 12 but I think we have a couple years yet.
#42 of 90 Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

I have been reading all of your answers.

Thanks!
#43 of 90 Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 PM

: Just taking notes for my 11 yr old. This time is coming around soon! Thanks for the suggestions!
#44 of 90 Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 PM

My only contribution is please do not make her uncomfortable if she prefers tampons. When I started my period, my mother thought I was "too young" for tampons and would not buy them. From day one, I *hated* pads of any sort (and still do - the only time I have ever begrudgingly worn them is post-partum). I was not going to wear the pads. I would take quarters to school and stock up on tampons from the machines in the bathrooms because that (expensive!) way to get them was the only way I had.

Anyhow, just wanted to point out that you might offer some variety of tampons in with her first choices so that if she prefers that, she can be comfortable with it.
#45 of 90 Old 07-03-2005, 12:44 AM

Hello! I have been around the Mothering site for awhile now at one board and have decided to branch out a bit. I have daughters 18 and 16 along with a 15 year old son.

Just wanted to let all of you who previously had probs with Always that they have changed the material from that plastic-type with holes to a textured fabric like material. When my daughters were younger I bought the smallest pads with wings, the package had the yellow trim. Also, the reason I like Always is that the wings are very large. I have tried the other brands and their wings are useless IMO.

Reading this thread, however, has piqued my interest though. Yes, I used cloth with some disposies on my kids (way back then) but I never thought about non-disposable pads. I sure does make sense...

Can someone answer some questions for me? How do the cloth pads absorb that much and stay thin? Heck, my poor kids had so much cloth beween their legs when they were in diapers, they looked like they just got off a horse! I sure don't want to be like that!

Another thing--I work full time, what do you do with your pads when you are away from home? Aren't they horribly stained and difficult to clean? I know what my undies look like when my flow exceeds the absorbancy of my pads. I have fibroids so sometimes I gush and other times I have large clots (sorry for TMI).

How do you deal with the idea of sitting against wet fabric all the time? I would think that would not be too comfortable. At least with my Always pads I don't feel too icky.

Thanks so much for any info anyone would be willing to share. This is a totally new concept to me so thanks for your patience with all my questions!

Pam
#46 of 90 Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 AM

I www.moon-mammas.com fleece pads! Super cute and come in 4 sizes.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#47 of 90 Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pandora Pads come in a variety of sizes and you stuff them to make them as absorbant as you need. http://www.pandoraspads.com

Also, have you considered a coming of age kit and party for her?
#48 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 12:14 AM

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here. Just wanted to add my two cents. My dd is 10 and she started her period in April. She prefers long pads because she had difficulty getting the pad in the right place so that she wouldn't leak over the front or back. The longer pads allow for more margin of error so to speak in the placement. She's been using sposies because all my cloth are regular or mini, but we are going to get her some of her own long cloth pads instead.
#49 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 AM

I like stayfree ultrathins.
But my daughter who is 13 simply refuses to use pads at all.
I would like her to at least rotate pads and tampons (that is what I do)
And I make my own cloth pads but that is WAY WAY too kooky for a 13 year old.
It is OK for mom, but she'd be laughed out of the bathroom .
I would go with buying several different products and letting her choose.
Joline
#50 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 AM

Hi there,
If you want cloth pads www.gladrags are great.

I would NOT use or advise anyone to use "Always" or "Stayfree" or any type like that, as they contain deadly chemicals that are absorbed into your body- I've done Alot of research on this!.....
Go for Natracare they have organic cotton pads and tampons. You can find them online or at your local heath food store.

Here's a web site www.whynaturalpads.com

Good luck!
#51 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 AM

Pam,

I used diaper inserts for the linings of the pads I made, which absorbs a lot and still kept the pad thin. I also used flannel to cover the pad, and it does a good job of wicking away the excess moisture. I have a small problem with clots, but it's never bothered me to use the cloth. I personally feel more comfortable with the cloth. I work full-time too, but generally my flow is light enough that I can go all day with just one pad. Granted, I teach too, so bathroom breaks are few and far between. :LOL

I'm not so sure about keeping the used pad. When I get home I just rinse mine out in the sink, and keep them damp until I have enough to wash. Maybe keeping them damp in a ziploc bag would work?

HTH
#52 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
:
#53 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 AM

I would highly recommend these Freshies pads from All Natural Mamas. They are what I use & LOVE! They are what I've ordered for my (now 10 & a half year old) daughter to use when she starts her cycles. They are the best that I've tried. I used to get wicked rashes from disposables (and like the PPs Always were the absolute worst! : )
I only use cloth diapers on my babies...why shouldn't I have the luxury of soft cloth on my tender parts, too?

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#54 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 02:08 AM

IMO and based on some 'homework', you can get cloth pads that are topped with microfleece, which actually wicks the moisture away from you and into the layers. Hemp pads are more absorbant.
If you can get some with wings that snap, when the pad is soiled you fold it in on itself into a little square. They make these great doublesided wet bags, one side for your clean ones and the other for soiled. So I guess after a day away from home you would just tend to them when you get home.
I have read that some women keep a clay pot with a lid or some type of container with a lid behind the toilet (or some other safe area) with water or a fav. solution of some type to soak them. Even more out there, you can use the water from the soak (as long as it is the plain water soak) to water your plants and get fabulous results!! Believe it or not!!!
I have a stash waiting for me but I haven't personally developed my own 'system' yet. Full time breastfeeding mama here....hope I have offered some insight.
#55 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 02:11 AM

There is this great book I got on Amazon.com that is geared toward honoring your DD's coming of age. It's called: Moon Mother, Moon Daughter...Myths and Rituals that Celebrate a Girls Coming-Of-Age by Janet Lucy and Terri Allison

Angel
#56 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 06:23 AM

Posting from Ireland: Diva cups aen't available here and as far as I know have never been. In fact I had never heard of them before reading this thread. I am assuming you pour out the menstual contents when it's full, which, for me, has a serious yuk factor. As for cloth pads, these really remind me of the stories my grandmother used to tell me about having cloth pads - and she was using these way way back in the 1910's. The idea of soaking and washing cloth pads really grosses me out.
I started my periods at 11 and used always ultra with wings the first 2 times. I then switched to tampax (applicator tampons). found them easy to use, much much more comfortable, more secure and I was far more confident with them. I could play any sport I wanted, swim and wear fashionable sporty clothes without feelign self-conscious or worrying.
#57 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:44 AM

I started at age 9 and I used the stayfree ultrathins. I always worried the kids at school would be able to see the lines or something and these were so thin I could barely feel them. For school, to avoid embarressing leaks, I would double up. ie..one pad mostly to the back of my panty and then another partially over that one and to the front. Then as a teen I used the same method with the 'stayfree ultrathin long overnights' ; covered my whole panty! Always brand would cause me to breakout .
#58 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 PM

my cloth pads are hemp and yes, they are very absorbant. I don't have a wet bag but if I know I'm going to be out for a while, I just bring a ziploc with me. No problems.
#59 of 90 Old 07-23-2005, 11:42 AM

I have used a cute ice bicket with a lid to keep the soiled pads in until I could wash them...

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#60 of 90 Old 07-23-2005, 04:20 PM

When I started at 10, I would have been mortified to use cloth. Now, however, it is just about all I use. They are soooo much more comfortable.

I use the MOE pads, topped with fleece. They are awesome. Since I still have a little one in diapes, I just throw then in the pail. I have had no problems with staining. And the PUL wings are awesome. They snap into a little square like some of the PP mentioned.

Here is a descriptionand pictures of what I have.

http://buttercupbaby.com/shop/html/M...iety-Pack.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page