Daughter's Experiences w Menarche - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2005, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is indeed true that menarche (first menstrual period) is a marker event for girls. In our society today, it tends to be a big event, but its significance goes beyond the event itself to become a rite of passage - a symbolic move from being a girl to the start of becoming a woman.

For those with daughters who have not yet reached the milestone, what impressions does your daughter have of what it will be like?

For those with daughters who are now menstruating, what was the transition like? Specifically, the initial period? The next few periods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 01:07 AM

Those are big, broad questions. What sort of information are you looking for-- and for what use?

And not that i am paranoid or anything ;-) --but every one of your 12 posts have to do with young girls and periods... And some odd info on how girls of 'small stature' prefer disposable 'wings'... How much 'research' have you done on this?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:00 AM

good questions UUMOM wondering right along with you.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:21 AM

quick google for bsw (for amy smith bsw) defines bsw as Batchelor in Social Work.

forum search of amy smith bsw posts reveals this which i cut and paste :

Great post! I am actually doing research for my masters thesis on preparing girls for menarche.

of course that is just a 5 minute investigation but it appears that amy smith bsw is working on attaining her masters with a thesis on 'menarche' (whatever that is, she prolly knows...)

informatively,
-anj119
Old 06-25-2005, 12:22 AM

Doubt it.

Do you know each other?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:29 PM

uh-uh, i don't think so. Never heard of Amy Smith before yesterday.

Not having the benefit of experiencing this member as observed by you and others in 'real-time', and not being terribly street wise about the possiblility of dangerous or ill-intentioned persons online, I'm gonna respectfully bow out on this until a conclusion can be drawn.

It is my suggestion that a more private discourse be maintained, and ideally, that it be directed by one of the group admin. or moderators. If they have not become aware of this already, it is imperative that they be notified of your concerns. This, to ensure the integrity of the board and to safe guard its policies, and its membership.

Respectfully,
-anj119
Old 06-25-2005, 04:04 PM

I reported it before i replied to you. Thanks for understanding my concerns and need to report this.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:59 PM

I just wanted to let you all know that if AMY SMITH BSW is conducting reasearch(gathering data) for a thesis with out providing info about her project and obtaining informed consent it is compleatly unethical and she should be reported to her schools IRB (internal revue bord). You should be able to do this via the net since her purpose was easily dicovered by a google search. The fact that she has not responded to any of the questions posed in this thread is a red flag in my opion.

BTW I am familair with this because DH is currently conducting research for his masters thesis.

ETA I guess she has mentioned her project project in another thread
Quote:
Great post! I am actually doing research for my masters thesis on preparing girls for menarche.
but this is still not exactly informed consent....If she is not gathering data it may be considered ethical but who knows as she did not say how she would be using the info gained here kwim. And it would really be up to her IRB to investigate....If you feel uncomfortable at all with her post I highly incourage you to contact her IRB since this is the kind of thing should be included in her education. She may well condut reaseach as a professional one day and it will hopefully be done in the most ethical of manners.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

User Tag List