looking for interesting gift certificate idea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hi my friend has three boys age 10-15. I want to get them all a gift certificate for something interesting. I had thought of Barnes & Noble where I am sure they would each be able to find something they wanted - books or dragon games or whatever ... but I wonder if there is a non-chain alternative anyone can suggest?

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#2 of 8 Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could see if there is an amusement or water park nearby and get them passes for one day. That would fit with the age range of all the boys and get them out of the house for a day. I know some 15 yr old boys who don't get overly excited over books, but it depends on the kids and you know them better than I do. One thing to keep in mind when purchasing a gift certificate anywhere is consider the price of the items in the store and calculate what they would have as options to choose from. It can be troublesome to get a $20 certificate when all the items in the store are at least $25, you don't want them to have to make the difference, unless it were a major purchase.
#3 of 8 Old 07-07-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i was hoping for some progressively owned business (maybe online?) ... there seem to be oodles of these for infants and toddler "needs" (most of which they dont need ...)

well let me keep searching.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#4 of 8 Old 07-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

TCF bank offers a Visa Giftcard. So they can buy anywhere that accpets Visa, but they can only spend the gift amount. It's not a credit card, it's a giftcard.
hope that helps...
#5 of 8 Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 PM

www.itunes.com is run by Apple, and you can download music from there. I've seen their gift cards at Walgreens and Targets here. Those were a big hit for my younger siblings this year.

Lisser

Alyssa, wife to one, mama to 2 boys, 5.5 and 4. Living and learning on our little farm.
#6 of 8 Old 07-08-2005, 10:32 PM

powells.com is an "independent" bookseller with a big 'ol online presense. I say "independent" because its the biggest bookstore I have ever seen, and none too cheap but seriously beats Amazon or Barnes. They have gift cards.

For dragony stuff check wizards.com maybe - they have a search feature to find sellers by area, maybe in the area you're looking for. I did this once for christmas when DP and I were going to be at my parents house. Local stores seem to be thrilled to do gift certificates over the phone, in my experience. Of course, if you live in the same area as your friend's kids, look in the yellow pages under "comic books". I think most comic book stores are independent.

Liza
#7 of 8 Old 07-09-2005, 12:04 AM

do they like to read? You really don't want to get a gift card and let it go to waste. Have you talked with the mother. My friends have boys and they go crazy at Best Buy. I think all men do! It's difficult because you want something that they will enjoy without rotting their brains. How about a target gift card?
#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 AM

unfortunately, my teenage son would HATE a gift cert. to a book store (and we have thousands of books in the house...its a sad state).
MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC!!!
napster has gift certificates too (they have specific # of songs or a 1 month, 2 month, or 3 month gc).
kids are going to pollute their minds...thats what we all do when we are teenagers! lol!
maybe im too liberal about the pollution, but i long since lost control! i used to ban video games and R rated movies (violence). somehow, somewhere, he got ahold of them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page