father and daughter issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am new here and I was hoping for some advice. I have a teen daughter (15 Yrs old) my husband is not her "biological" father and I think sometimes she doesnt think he loves here as much as our son. (11 yrs old and is his real child) I have been with my husband since she was 6 months old. Sometimes I do think that my husband is a littler harder on her and I have tried telling him this but he doesnt believe it to be true. He tells her that he loves her just as much as our son and does think of her as his and I know he does. But sometimes it just seems as if he is harder on her. Please help? I have also left a message in the "new posts" on another issue about my 2 children fighting all the time and I think this could be the reason but I dont know how to handle it, I have tried everything to get them to stop but nothing works.

Rhonda DW to Mike and DM to DD Jaci 18 and DS Tyler 15- also GM to Zander 6 mo
#2 of 2 Old 09-21-2005, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I have a 16yr old daughter too and her dad is not her biological Father. He has raised her since she was 6 months old as well. We have 3 other children together. My 16yr old has always known he was not her birth father but has never once not considered him her daddy. Sure they fight and argure but it has nothing to do with his not being her "real Dad" he is her REAL DAD and she decided that on her own. They fight over normal teenage/parent issues. I know that my husband is worried that she will do the things he/we did when we where teenagers. Like all of us (parents) we do not want our children to make the same mistakes we did. However, we did not realize our mistakes till we where older. And sometimes Teens need to learn on their own, dispite our efforts. We are lucky, our daughter has learned and is not doing what we where at her age. We both had moved out of our parents homes and did drugs at her age. However, we both have degrees and made our way dispite our mistakes. We talk together all the time about this same issue. Sure, She fights with her younger brother (6yrs) and that drives me crazy, but who didn't fight with a sibbling. When she was little we raised her much differently than her sibblings, we had less money, rented homes, and where younger and less experenced. We where different parents back then. She sees the difference and the advantages that her sibblings have now that she did not then and sometimes that bothers her and causes fights and missunderstandings. And now, with 3 little ones our attention is spread and not only on her, just llike her dads, for 10 years she was Daddy's little girl, then she had to share. It's taken a few years to get over that, but the older she gets the better she understands.
My teenage daughter is moody, rude and needy just like I was when I was her age. My teenage daughter is drug/sex/tobacco and liquor free, just like I was not at her age. She's loud and challanges her parents.. wow, we have a normal teen who fights with her parents and pushes her limits and test our boundries. She knows how to push our buttons and plays a hard game. We just do not play back.

I hope that your daughter and husband find some peace. I know what it feels like to be in the middle of the Daddy/Daughter fight. It SUCKS!!! But be patient, talk with each one of them and don't push it. Also, driving lessons help us.

Please excuse spelling/grammer mistakes: Nursing with one hand, typing with the other!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page