Have You Heard of This Game Amongst Preteens? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had never, ever heard of this "game" until recently. This happened this month in our community and I am sad beyond belief: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/c...-4733110c.html

If you have heard of this, how have you talked with your kids about this deadly game? My ds is entering his pre-teen years and my stomach is in complete knots about this. I have always been very honest with my ds about life and death, but this is a new one for me.

Thanks~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember this kind of thing going on when I was in K (over 20 yrs ago ).

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 06:03 PM

I think its what caused a girl I used to babysit for to die. They found her hanging in her closet with a belt days before her birthday...she was in 5th grade. The funeral was awful. I had babysat her for 3 years, 3 times a week. And they decided to have an open casket.

#4 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 06:04 PM

I saw girls do this at slumber parties when I was young, but never by choking or hanging oneself. They would hyperventilate with their head upside down and then stand up real quick to try to bring on a fainting spell. I never did it cause I had fainted before and didn't like it. Its very scary, especially doing it alone, that reminds me of drug abuse when a person uses in privacy.

My niece's friend hung herself last year, but she was very depressed and it was believed to be suicide, although there was no note. I would bring it up if you see any of the warning signs or your son fits the profile (the article mentioned adventurous types, etc)
#5 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 06:26 PM

This was very popular when I was in Jr high. I never heard of anybody actually hangnig themselves though.
Mostly it was the hanging upside down and self strangulation with hands. Or having a friend stand behind you and strangle as mentioned in the article.
A boy I dated did this frequently.
It isnt just kids either.
WIth adults they call it "auto-erotic asphyxiation" and I believe (but I may be mistaken so I wont mention any names) that this was the cause of death of a well known rock star in a hotel a few years back.
I remember it well, and I also remember thinking it couldnt be good as a child but I didnt know the risks either.
I never did it myself. I just thought I was "chicken".
Thanks for the reminder to discuss this with my dd.
JOline
#6 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Never heard of it among children, and it creeps me the out. I've heard of "erotic asphyxiation" sexually, and that creeps me out too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#7 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 08:08 PM

I've never known anyone to do this, but I've seen it in the paper. My 14 y/o has seen the news article and his response was, "WHOA! HOW STUPID!" That's the only discussion we had about it--him saying how stupid and disgusting it is. I'm pretty sure I don't need to be concerned about him doing anything like this.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#8 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 PM

That is shocking... I never heard about this, never read about this, never even thought that something like this can be done.
#9 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 PM

We did this alot as teens but we stood against the wall and someone would push on your chest while you hold your breath and then pass out. The other people wrote down whatever you said and then as soon as oyu come to, you tell them everything you remember. I can't beleive how stupid we were!
#10 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ared1
We did this alot as teens but we stood against the wall and someone would push on your chest while you hold your breath and then pass out.
that's what we used to do - until i had a seizure.
#11 of 39 Old 09-29-2005, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

I had never heard of this and as far as I knew, nothing like this was going on when I was in jr. high/high school (over 20 years ago). Its is just so sad. Then on the news, there was another death related to this locally, but in another city. She was only 12 yo. My heart is breaking for their families, friends and for them.

Hugs~

Lisa

#12 of 39 Old 10-01-2005, 01:49 AM

That is so sad!! I just heard about this game on Dr. Phil last week. The teens were calling it space monkey and they would choke each other until they passed out.

One of the girls said she feels so high and happy when she wakes up. She said she also enjoys being the one to choke another so she can watch them twitch and groan.

I was shocked watching the show, I never imagined kids were doing that. I asked my friend if she had heard of it and remembers others doing it when she was younger. It is scary, my kids are still young but I guess it is one more thing I'll have to talk to them about.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 39 Old 10-01-2005, 02:07 AM

[QUOTE=KateMary]I saw girls do this at slumber parties when I was young, but never by choking or hanging oneself. They would hyperventilate with their head upside down and then stand up real quick to try to bring on a fainting spell. QUOTE]

Yup we did this and then as soon as we came up some one would push on our necks (we were standing with our back against a wall
) so we would pass out. We thought is was so fun since we got all tingly. Now I look at it and think "Man I was dumb!"

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#14 of 39 Old 10-01-2005, 03:06 PM

We also did this at summer camp. We would stand against a wall while someone else put a hand on each side of our necks. We did this several times per day and thought it was great fun. One day in the cabin, I was the one to pass out and I had an out-of-body experience. It was so scary. I remember standing to the side and kinda floating. It was odd b/c I could see myself laying on the floor of the cabin and all of the other girls standing over me. I never did it again.
#15 of 39 Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 PM

wow, i never heard of this
#16 of 39 Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, there was another boy who tried this game: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...-4743480c.html He is from a very, very small, rural town to. So it can happen anywhere.

Warmly~

Lisa

(Edited to add: I sat down and talked w/my 9 yo ds about this "game" a few days ago. He sat there and listened to what I had to say and his eyes got so big. He had never heard of the "game" before, thankfully. He still tells me EVERYTHING, so I stressed that even if there were other kids doing it, he needed to tell me.)

#17 of 39 Old 10-07-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ared1
We did this alot as teens but we stood against the wall and someone would push on your chest while you hold your breath and then pass out. The other people wrote down whatever you said and then as soon as oyu come to, you tell them everything you remember. I can't beleive how stupid we were!
We did this too! God, were we stupid! We all used to have seizures, it was so idiotic. My best friend started having a seizure one time and as she slid down the wall she bashed her head against one of those big,old, wooden floor t.v.s We thought she was dead. It was very scary!

41 year old mama to three beautiful girls (19, 16, and 11)

Wildly, passionately, eternally in love with my dear husband.

#18 of 39 Old 10-10-2005, 07:45 AM

I read about this in the novel Rosie, only it was real little kids doing it not really knowing what they were doing. What happened to realatively harmless games like light as a feather?
#19 of 39 Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Yes, I have heard about that - it's so frightening. Have asked my teen about it and she claims no knowlege. But it pays to stay on top of things like that. (I didn't even used to understand what huffing was - yet it was prevalent in her grade school - now I know to watch out for it with my littlest). So things that sound far fetched sometimes turn out to be true and this is one of them unfortunately. My heart goes out to those parents.
#20 of 39 Old 10-17-2005, 04:52 PM

i've heard of it. there was a widely covered story here in boise about a young girl (13, i believe) who died this way. i vaguely remember some kids doing it when i was younger but it sounds out of control now. how scary.
#21 of 39 Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 AM

I never heard of this. This is scary and never thought teens can do such things.
#22 of 39 Old 10-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I heard about it on some kind of show on tv recently, the dangerous thing kids did to get a cheap high when I was a kid was stiff clue, gas, pr propane.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#23 of 39 Old 10-23-2005, 02:23 AM

Thats some game. I wouldnt ever want to play. I am 14 now, and I've only heard of that once and our teacher talked about how bad it was in 7th grade. Thats the most I know.
#24 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Frightening...esp since my ds is 13. Talking to him about it just now he said he's never heard of it but thanks for letting the rest of us be more aware. My heart breaks for the other parents who found out too late.
#25 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM

We did this as children too, the press on you chest version. So scary. My brother went into convulsions once.
#26 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 09:51 PM

The 'held by the neck up against a door' version was done by my friends---back in elementary school.
#27 of 39 Old 10-25-2005, 07:54 AM

im nearly 23... i had friends that played that game during middle and highschool.... not something i ever did tho, but my sis (2 yrs younger) did. i think they choked themselves tho, didnt have somebody else do it. they thought it was cool to make yourself pass out

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#28 of 39 Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
My daughter is 25 and she went to a slumber party at age 14 in which the girls played that game. One girl passed out and was hospitalized. She is fine now.

The parents who hosted the slumber party did a lot of CYA.

Not to give anyone ideas, but in this game, the girls would stand up with theirs backs against a wall while another person put their hand around their throat and push them up. Supposedly there is a feeling of euphoria before they pass out.

So sad.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~
#29 of 39 Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_lady
I never heard of this. This is scary and never thought teens can do such things.
Yes, but the fact is they do everything and more.

I heard of games when I was in junior high (late 1960s) in which everyone brought a bottle of prescription drugs from home and threw the contents in a bowl; everyone just helped themselves.

so dangerous.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~
#30 of 39 Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 PM

Oh my god. I've never heard of this. It is frightening to be a parent . . . all the stupid, trendy, physically/emotionally harmful, sometimes fatal things kids do with each other. Makes me want to lock the door and keep my kids in the house until they're old and strong enough to not be affected by peer pressure. Personally, I do not enjoy the kind of feelings this brings on as described by pps and the article . . . heck, I've never even been drunk because I hate the feeling of being out of control of myself (don't really even enjoy being tipsy). Hopefully that trait will be passed on to my children.

My heart just aches for these parents. I cannot even imagine.

I'm stunned by this.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page