Teenage trick or treaters - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We only had a few teens last night, but they were wearing costumes and were polite.

I went TOTing when I was 14, with a twist. My friend and I went around on the night of Nov 1st. At first everyone though we were crazy when we would knock on their door and say "Trick or Treat", but then we would say "hey, don't you have all that leftover candy you don't want sitting around?" Boy, we got TONS of candy that year! :

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild
Did I seem upset? No, I just think it's poor manners pretending to take candy for a child when it's really for the adults. I don't mind the baby in costume. Of course they're cute. I guess if I was going to be upset it would be because we don't have much money right now and it doesn't feel right to have to give candy to adults in the name of a baby. Poor manners don't always upset me. I just notice them sometimes. And what does formula feeding have to do with adults taking candy for their baby? Again, no one thinks the baby is eating it, or rather, gumming it.
Sorry, I took your post to say that it's rude to feed a baby candy. Your probably right that it's rude if they only took their baby out to get candy for mom and dad though. As far as formula, I was equating how that isn't my business what people feed their kids, whether it's formula or candy to a baby without teeth.
#63 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:20 PM

we saw lots of teens last night and they seemed ok. cute babies, too!

our main problem was with the, i suppose, 6-9 crowd, who pushed past dd, pushed past ds, etc. dd will wait to take her turn forever, no matter how many people just push. so, i ended up carrying ds and urging dd to take her turn. and their parents just watched....nice.

in our neighborhood, though, a lot of the teens were really nice and commented on how cute my kids were and at one house even made sure dd got her turn.

i agree with the pp who said if you are going to get so upset over halloween then you shouldn't participate.
#64 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
We only had a few teens last night, but they were wearing costumes and were polite.

I went TOTing when I was 14, with a twist. My friend and I went around on the night of Nov 1st. At first everyone though we were crazy when we would knock on their door and say "Trick or Treat", but then we would say "hey, don't you have all that leftover candy you don't want sitting around?" Boy, we got TONS of candy that year! :

#65 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Sorry, I took your post to say that it's rude to feed a baby candy. Your probably right that it's rude if they only took their baby out to get candy for mom and dad though. As far as formula, I was equating how that isn't my business what people feed their kids, whether it's formula or candy to a baby without teeth.
Yeah, it's not our business, but yet I would still think "yuck" when I saw it, not that I ever see it. I'm more likely to see a 3 year old standing up to nurse than a baby being FF here. Of course, there are people who would be shocked at that, but hopefully not on MDC.
#66 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm horrible at guessing ages, we did seem to have more "older" kids than younger kids, but probably more in the 10-14 range, not really teens IMO. Everyone was pretty polite, some were a bit hyper, but that's to be expected. Not to old to be out, they were all in good costumes. Actually the older crowd mostly had costumes that they had made themselves and put effort into, while the younger kids were almost exclusively in store-bought costumes.

I would have loved to go out with the kids -- my 6 yo and almost-4yo went out, and dh carried our 1 yo though she wasn't toting. One of us had to stay home and man the candy bowl though, and dh needed some fresh air and a walk more than I did. Sigh. Next year, it will be my turn!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#67 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama
We had lots too. My fav were two girls who were *not* dressed up but claimed to be 4-year olds dressed as cute teenagers
that's cute
#68 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd
Not me. I took the kids trick-or-treating today, and all the teens I came in contact with were very rude, crowding in front of the little kids, etc. I'm still p/o'd over it.
Aww bummer. We saw a ton of teens out last niht, but they were all so polite.

One house we stopped at the occupants weren't home and the "take one" bowl had been cleaned out. As we walked up the drive the teens who were there discussing the fact that someone must have stole it all earlier, one of them said "what kind of A-hole does that onb a kids holiday?", then they saw my young son, apoligized for cursing, and offered him some of their own candy since he couldn't get any at this house.
#69 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 04:36 PM

So, does anyone think there should be an age limit?

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#70 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 04:43 PM

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2005

Here's a pic of my girls(cat & 50's girl), my newphews(camo-man and man holding baby), and my grand nephew(baby), and myself.

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
#71 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 04:45 PM

Well, I will post my family's take on it even though sounds like many of you wouldn't like us coming to your door. My husband and I absolutely LOVE toting. I love my kids dressing up, they are so cute with their candy bags, I love to see the other kids, especially the little ones and I die for the babies. Last night, my 10 week old was dressed up like a little monster! Now, obviously didn't trick or treat for him. However, next year, my husband will carry him around toting, then give him one or two things (usually we get noncandy like crackers, pretzels, etc.) and eat most of the candy himself! or divy it up with our kids!

My 15 year old toted last night. She was hestitate to, but I encouraged her to dress up and have fun! She had a great time with her younger siblings and even ran into some teen boys who were much more embarassed than her to be caught toting.

And do my kids forget to say Thank you! Absolutely! It ismuch easier to make sure the little ones are doing it. But when they get older (not my teen, she remembers!) they get so excited and hyper, they just forgot! I kept reminding them throughout the night, but I know they kept forgetting.

When I only had little kids, I guess I had more opinions on how things should go. But after toting for 15 years now! (with probably another 10-12 left), I am much more tolerant of others, because at some point my family has probably been there, done that!
#72 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM

We live on a military base so I suppose my experience will be a little different being a smaller community with regular patrol (police officers making sure no 'Tricks' are being had). We have toting from 6 - 8pm and that is very strick, I have yet to have anyone come up before 6 or after 8, in 5 years time.

DS is 23 months and he is plenty old to be toting, IMHO. We took him last year at 11 months as well. He ate a sucker or two last year and is eatting some of his candy this year as well. I think 3 is a bit old to start toting, it's just so much fun to see all the customs, the decorated houses, etc.

DS was very weary at first, but then he started to get the drill. He would take his bag from me, pull away and rush up to the door, knock (if they weren't siting out side), say some mumbles, and either take the candy or put up his bag. He then said "Thank You" and waved and said good bye. I walked up to every door with him of course. I made sure to inturperate (sp?) for him by saying "Trick or Treat", "That was a 'Thank You'" and telling them Thank you as we left.

I could care less about the toters age, though I do like to see some sort of costumn, it's part of the spirit of the night. I only saw a couple of rude kids/teens, most of the kids had their parents with in 5 feet saying "watch out for the baby" and making sure they said Trick or Treat and Thank You.

At around 7:30 I WAS exhauseted so we went home and handed out candy for the last half hour (we took the stroller so DS got a rest now and again, but my preggo self can't out last a toddler). Well DS stood at the door and 'talked' to the toters and handed them 1 piece of candy of his choosing. He had a blast. I can't wait to do it next year with an almost 3yo and almost 1yo. Though I am having DH take the night off from work if need be so he can help me. We don't get a lot of traffic on our street because they tore down all the houses across the street so it looks pretty vacant.

I make sure to turn ALL the lights off when we leave for toting, then when I get home I turn ALL the lights on and keep the door open (it's pretty warm here still) so people know we are handing out candy.

It's sad to hear of so many rude teens running about but I don't really blame the parents. Once they leave your site there is little you can do. The parents very much could have instilled manners in them, but they choose to do what they want. Besides I would much rather they been getting candy rather than egging or Tping houses.
#73 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I went TOTing when I was 14, with a twist. My friend and I went around on the night of Nov 1st. At first everyone though we were crazy when we would knock on their door and say "Trick or Treat", but then we would say "hey, don't you have all that leftover candy you don't want sitting around?" Boy, we got TONS of candy that year!
That was BRILLIANT!!! Man, I wish I would have thought of that when I was young!

I generally don't mind teens trick-or-treating. I do prefer that ToTers wear costumes, but I don't begrudge anyone enjoying the innocent fun of Halloween. It goes without saying that all ToTers should be polite and say "Thank you" if they are old enough.

That said, I did have one teen girl come to my door last night that caused me to think, if you are wearing an outfit that is so sexy that other mothers are tempted to ask you what you are thinking going out in public dressed like that, maybe you are too old to go trick-or-treating (I didn't say it, but I couldn't help thinking it!).

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#74 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd
So, does anyone think there should be an age limit?

Nope. I'd be more than happy to give to a 38 year old who was dressed. altough I may ask him what his motives are if he was not with children.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#75 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Nope. I'd be more than happy to give to a 38 year old who was dressed. altough I may ask him what his motives are if he was not with children.

yep. And I've never had an adult come looking for candy without a kid in tow. Any dummy knows enough to get a kid for that!

And, oh god! Please! No more laws! We have enough laws. I can imagine the police now wasting my tax money carding TOTs.

Shut the darn lights-- go out for dinner & a movie. Anything. Leave the rest of us in peace to enjoy giving people-- the deserving and undeserving- candy, pencils, and dimes.
#76 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM

We don't get many TorT-ers -- we live at the top of a long hill and few will venture up it. There were only about 1/2 a dozen families out last night from the street. Both DH & I took our kids and left a big basket out at our house. We had a couple of older children (old enough to be out without a parent), but they were polite and costumed.

My DD, (age 2 1/2) went as as Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) and decided to do up her thank you (already cute because of "toddler speak") with a proper, all the way to the floor, curtsy. I guess she got it from watching the video. Anyway, it really took off after the first couple of families gave her more candy for being so cute! Only problem was that her older brother couldn't quite match her, though he did add a bow with his thanks.
#77 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We had quite a few teenage toters. Some were dressed, some weren't, but none were rude. I think it's fine for them to tot as long as they want (well, maybe hs graduation would be my personal limit :LOL). I saw a few teens that had taken out younger brothers and sisters. That's cool, imo. We also live in a pretty family friendly neighborhood. It would bug me if any toters were rude, but I haven't had that experience.
#78 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 07:26 PM

We have mostly older kids tricker-treating near me. We did have several adults out by themselves . But they where dressed and said Trick-or-treat, so we gave them candy. Most of the kids where nice and said thank you there where a few bad appples but there always are.
#79 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 08:00 PM

We had a lot of teens last night--more than I ever remember seeing. Some were dressed, some weren't, I didn't keep tabs on how many said, "Trick or Treat" or "Thank you" but none were rude.

My dd went out with some kids from the neighborhood who were 12, 15, 13 and 13. Ds went out with some other kids who were all 13 or 14, then the two groups got together and hit the other side of our lake. They had a blast.

I love seeing ALL the costumes--I don't care how old/young anyone is. I kind of feel sorry for the kids who come without a costume--seems it would be more fun to dress up, but maybe that's just me.

One of my favorite groups last night was a bunch of teens with a couple of parents with them. They were just being soooo goofy and were having a great time together. When I offered the parents candy, one chuckled and said, "I'm probably too old for this." to which I replied, "You're never too old for candy!" That sums up my opinion on how old is too old for halloween. It's a fun, silly night--if you're too old to be silly and have fun, you're in a pretty bad place, imo.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#80 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 PM

When my husband was a teen, he and a group of five friends would dress up as pirates and go door to door singing halloween themed sea-shanties. I give candy to all the teens that come, but I give more to the creative ones!
#81 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm with you, I went trick or treating until I was about 15 and got some rude people who asked how old I was or why I was out trick or treating. Sure I wanted candy but it was also fun running door to door, dressing up and having fun with my friends. I felt like people were trying to make me grow up too fast, just like they did when they said I was too old to play with dolls. So I don't mind older trick or treaters, I treat them just like the other trick or treaters. Besides, like others said, I know they're more likely to pull pranks if you don't give them treats then the 8 year olds
#82 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 PM

my mother always said,

If they're young enough to want free candy, they're young enough to trick-or-treat.
#83 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 PM

A few days before Halloween we got a flyer saying that college students would be trick-or-treating in our neighbnorhood for a local food bank. We did get some and they were dressed in costumes! I thought this was a nice idea and would be a fun project to organize for teens who still wanted to dress up and go trick or treating.
#84 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Wow this thread is tense! I never knew trick or treating could cause so much hostility.

I thought the point of getting your kids (of any age) to trick or treat was so you can binge on their kit-kats when they're alseep.

So needless to say I will be encouraging my ds to trick or treat till college.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#85 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 09:14 PM

Dh, dd, ds and I all went together as pirates around our apartment complex to the people we know It was a fun night, only dd (age 3) had a candy bag and said tot... We just stood back and let her have all the fun (ds is 8mo) We did have a couple people give extra candy "for the other pirates' but mostly everyone just said we looked great. It was fun!

I have no problem with teenagers toting. I couldn't tell you if kids said thank you or not--guess I'm too busy looking at the cute costumes

I do have to admit though, that I was a bit irritated when older toters knocked at 10:45 at night. There wasn't a light in the house on and we were all asleep... I do think that was a bit late :

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#86 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 PM

I'm in the never too young/old camp. I love all the costumes and silliness. Its such a free fun nite, ya know?

We had equal amount of teens vs younger kids but all of the teens were very polite and said "TOT". As for costumes, not so much Mostly just some masks. With the exception of these 2 young ladies. One was an angel. Full huge wings; dress; tights; halo; makeup - everything. (and not a "grown up" type of costume if you know what I mean..). The other was a butterfly. The wings were also huge but full of so much color! She had on a bright orange wig and bright purple tunic dress. You could see so much detail into every part of their costumes. My dd (3) was sooo in love with them! "dey sooo bee-you-tee-full mommy! I LOVE them!"

We actually got apples from one house! I havent seen apples in a tot bag in years!

On a sad note, when I was 12 my friend and I went out. We dressed up like punk rockers. We did the full makeup and dress. We were having a blast running around, seeing other friends, yada yada until we came to one house. The lady yelled at us. "what are you doing out here? you're too old to be out. such selfish children. you should be ashamed of yourselves! get off my doorstep and go home and think about what you have done!" SLAM went the door. We felt so bad. We felt ashamed when 5 minutes earlier we were having the time of our lives. We went home and cried to our mothers. Did we do something wrong? We just wanted to have fun too.
We never went out after that. I still cringe when I drive by that house. Who was she to crush the spirit of 2 kids?

So, I remember that every halloween when someone older than 10 comes to my door. They get just as big, "happy halloween!" as the younger ones do.

Besides that, I love halloween!
#87 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenjall
I'm in the never too young/old camp. I love all the costumes and silliness. Its such a free fun nite, ya know? I still cringe when I drive by that house. Who was she to crush the spirit of 2 kids?

So, I remember that every halloween when someone older than 10 comes to my door. They get just as big, "happy halloween!" as the younger ones do.

Besides that, I love halloween!
oh you brought tears to my eyes
#88 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Dar

Now, really, who could resist this face?:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nhalloween.jpg
Of course, she brought a "bloody" meat cleaver with her when she went trick or treating, but she's still cute!

And Shenjall, that's horrid! What a witch. Or bitch. Whatever. I want to go egg her house or something.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#89 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 PM

To restate what a lot of folks here are saying--I don't think any of us have so much of an issue with teens (or adults) coming to TOT--it is those that come un-costumed & act rude that bother me. In addition to the rude groups I had, there were also several groups of teens that were dressed up & looked great--I had no problem in the world with them !

In fact, I dressed up myself & went out with my kids. I still love Halloween & costumes---just not so keen on the un-costumed lot.

So, I'm a stickler for tradition . . . what can I say?
#90 of 124 Old 11-02-2005, 12:03 AM

We had more teenagers than last year, and they were nicer than the ones last year. They were happy and fun.

We had one group that had to be juniors or seniors in high school, and they were so nice. One guy was dressed as a cheerleader in a tiny skirt, he cracked me up.

Last year there were some BIG guys who gave me a scary vibe, but it was all good this year.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page