Teenage trick or treaters - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think more than half of the kids who came to our door tonight were 12-15 years old. Some wore costumes, a few not; none were snarky, rude, or threatening. I really think that no matter how fast our culture wants kids to grow up, many teens want to stay kids for awhile. I was happy to give them candy. Anybody else see them as big kids clinging to a happy childhood tradition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 AM

About half the kids who came to my house looked to be young teenagers without costumes. Some might have had younger siblings, but I feel anyone who asks for candy can have some. None were at all rude.
#3 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:04 AM

I never get why people get so bothered by teens trick or treating. They need to make some attempt at a costume though. I last Trick or treated when I was 14.
#4 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 AM

Not me. I took the kids trick-or-treating today, and all the teens I came in contact with were very rude, crowding in front of the little kids, etc. I'm still p/o'd over it.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#5 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 AM

I think it's cute.
Some of them may even act all tough and like they're "getting away with something" but they (like everyone else) just want some lovin' too. It's important to show them that there is still some kindness left in this scary world.
#6 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:14 AM

I went trick-or-treating until I was 14 and I didn't feel weird about it at all. I didn't feel comfortable going the next year, so I didn't.

If big trick-or-treaters come to my door, they get candy same as everyone else. If they're snotty because I didn't give them enough, then they get a swift kick in the pants, same as anyone else who is rude whilst begging for candy.
#7 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:15 AM

We had alot of non-dressed up teens too. As long as they're nice I don't mind at all giving them candy- but DH always makes them tell him what they 'are' before he'll hand anything over. We had one girl tonight (maybe about 14?) who came up with three different costumes depending on how she wore her sweatshirt- it was hysterical!

Best costume we've seen at our door was two years ago- a teenage boy dressed up as a traffic cone. His friend was with him as "Captain Silverpants" and had to do all the talking for him. Very funny! But I have to say my ultimate favorite costume was the giant tentacle at an AnimeCon this year.
#8 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:16 AM

I didn't really see too many here, I didnt' hand out candy though, my dh did that and I took the kids around.

I get annoyed at how many people take their kids out with both parents and then don't pass out candy, particularly if they do this every year. We'd love to both go out with them but it seems wrong to go collect candy if we don't hand it out.
#9 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 AM

We had a lot of teens, too. They were polite, but some of the costumes were a bit scary.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#10 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 01:57 AM

We ended up on a street that was largely older kids tonight. The second house we went to, dd and ds marched up and said trick-or-treat and the guy said wow, I haven't heard that in 20 minutes, no please, no thanks, no nothing. This was a very busy street, so that was a ton of kids that were, IMO, pretty rude.

My mom works with a guy who told her how they handle the older kids. 1. If they don't say anything, neither does he. They get nothing. 2. If they do say trick-or-treat, he says trick please. If they don't have a trick, he takes candy from them. : I love that. I guess some areas have more rude older kids that trick-or-treat.
#11 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's mean.

I trick or treated until I was 14 and then started borrowing a kid to take until I had my own- she was 6 months old her first halloween. I love to take my two now and have almost as much fun as they do. I'm a single mom though so I do take them out but don't always hand out candy (depends what time I get off work).
#12 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama
That's mean.
So is stealing candy from little kids, running them over, emptying the whole bucket when it says "take one please", etc... like I said, I guess some neighborhoods have kids that are more rude than others.
#13 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 AM

I am also a bit Po'd about teenagers TOTing. I took DS, 15 mo, and his cousins, ages 21 mo, 3 1/2, and 6, out TOTing tonight. A couple houses had baskets of candy on the porch and a sign that said "Please take ONE". I told our kids 'Just take one, guys,' and they were being so polite and just took one piece each. But there was a group of teenage girls behind us, and they shoved in front of the 3 yr old who was taking his time finding a piece he liked, and practically knocked him over as they took 3 HANDFULLS each. They were rude to the people who opened doors, never saying thank you. They tromped right thru people's plants and gardens too. Not a good example for the little ones behind them. Some boys were scaring my 21 mo nephew.
I dont have a problem with teens TOTing as long as they are polite and dont take advantage of other kids or other people.

Lisa
#14 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 02:31 AM

I make 'em say trick or treat, and harass them if they don't have a costume (in a teasing way, not mean). I met a few tonight who not only didn't have costumes, they didn't even have a candy bag!! One of them told me he was eating it as he went! I give candy to anyone who comes to the door and asks, and around here, they're pretty polite.
#15 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
So is stealing candy from little kids, running them over, emptying the whole bucket when it says "take one please", etc... like I said, I guess some neighborhoods have kids that are more rude than others.
So form a patrol and watch over the littler kids- but being really mean to all older kids because some are rude and horrible is being just as bad.....actually worse cause he's an adult.
#16 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama
So form a patrol and watch over the littler kids- but being really mean to all older kids because some are rude and horrible is being just as bad.....actually worse cause he's an adult.
Wow, I guess you didn't actually read my post then. Where did is say he was mean to all kids? BTW, did you know that the trick part was orginally a real part of TOTing?

Oh yeah, I am not going to bother forming a patrol over them, that's what their freaking parents should have done before they starting acting like that in the first place.

ETA: Oops, I misread that about who to patrol over. IMO, saying it that way is just a cover for patroling that rude ones. The little kids aren't out alone.
#17 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 AM

I was impressed with the teens we saw tonight. They were all in costume and seemed just as excited to be out TOTing as the little ones. I don't mind when teens TOT as long as they wear a costume and are polite. For some reason it really bugs me when they don't bother to wear costumes.
#18 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 AM

Quote:
My mom works with a guy who told her how they handle the older kids. 1. If they don't say anything, neither does he. They get nothing. 2. If they do say trick-or-treat, he says trick please. If they don't have a trick, he takes candy from them. : I love that. I guess some areas have more rude older kids that trick-or-treat.
It doesn't say that he knows who the mean ones are when they knock on the door it says that when they say trick or treat he asks for a trick which none of the kids understand much anymore and then he takes candy from them. That's ridiculous and mean. Would he rather they were out for the tricks and not the treats? I might want to get in on some TP action for his house. Some guy asked my son for a trick tonight and my son had no idea- finally told the guy "trick or treat eat my feet" and the guy was satisfied.
#19 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 AM

Ok, so you don't agree with what he does. I am not gonna fight with you about it.
#20 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 AM

Quote:

2. If they do say trick-or-treat, he says trick please. If they don't have a trick, he takes candy from them. : I love that. I guess some areas have more rude older kids that trick-or-treat.
Yipes!! Not too smart to ask for a trick. You know that if you don't hand out treats to appease the mischeivous spirits, some pretty nasty things can happen to your home. (Toilet paper, rotten eggs... )
#21 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
Yipes!! Not too smart to ask for a trick. You know that if you don't hand out treats to appease the mischeivous spirits, some pretty nasty things can happen to your home. (Toilet paper, rotten eggs... )
yep, this is the "trick part" most people don't get! My dad used to ask kids for a trick too, dumba$$. JMHO. About my dad. Moving on...

We took our 2.5 yr old this year & he loved it! We just went in one little circle that will be our new neighborhood when our house is finished being built. We also gave pieces of candy with a note attached that said "from your future neighbor" & most people were genuinely happy when we gave it to them. Next year we will have to split up & 1 stay home to bribe the little devils & 1 to take DS, but this year we had a blast both being with him. (He was Captn Feathersword & we were his maties btw)

There were kids of all ages & the older kids seemed pretty hyped up, but keeping it in check, yk? If any of them had been ridiculous, I wouldn't hesitate to offer them some guidance as in "Hey don't push in front of that little kid, hey it says just one" but then I am a loud mouth! What really buggd me was when a mom kept sending her 3 yr old to the door alone & hollering at him from the yard (while she smoked) "Ring the bell!" "say thank you" "hurry up, get down here" : That was a buzz kill & we had to slow down to get away from them, poor kid. I was torn between wanting to take care of him myself & wanting to have a good time with my ds, yk?

Anyway, happy halloween to all & hope you all appeased to spirits well! ~Maria
#22 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaze
I get annoyed at how many people take their kids out with both parents and then don't pass out candy, particularly if they do this every year. We'd love to both go out with them but it seems wrong to go collect candy if we don't hand it out.
That never occured to me. In my experience, the people handing out the candy are either pre-kids, or their oldest is very young, or they have grown kids, or they are without children at all. Going with your kids to ToT seems like is such a short time in the span of your life, I wouldn't want to miss it. If I were you, I wouldn't stay home and miss it. Just know that you will have many more years post-kids to "pay it forward" when other families are out together.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#23 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 AM

Wow I feel so lucky. We live in such a great little neighborhood. We had tons of trick or treaters. A lot of them were probably over 12 but they were all incredibly polite. There were so sweet to my dd who was passing out candy. Last year we weren't home so we left the bowl and surprisingly, there was still candy at the end of the night.

I don't mind the lack of costume. There are teenagers who want to look cool and be grown up but still want to act like kids. It is such a hard and conflicting age. I just love to see them having fun.

Our neighborhood has an 8:30 curfew which worked out perfectly with my kids' bedtimes.
#24 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 AM

We both take our kids-it's not fair for one of us to miss seeing that. We leave a big bowl of candy out with a sign that says "Happy Halloween! Please take two candies and enjoy.". I was surprised that there was still a lot left after we got back.

As far as teens go-we had very polite teens in this neighborhood. In our old house, it was just down right scary. Some of the "kids" were nearly as old as we were and were soooo rude. One actually asked us "is this all you have?". And one time a teen stood on our front porch smoking : . They came in large groups and it was kind of scary. We ended up making plans to be elsewhere Halloween night in that neighborhood, primarily b/c of the teen issue. BTW-these are older teens I'm talking about, probably 15-18, none had costumes except the occasional disgusting mask. Usually the younger teens were polite.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#25 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 AM

My kids are 19, 17 and 14. My 19 yo no longer lives at home.

Last yr she did and she and her bf, also 18, and my 2 other kids and their friend who was 14, went out. The girls wore costumes. The boys didn't, except my ds wore a namtag that said Sanchez.

This yr my 2 at home kids and the friend went out again. The girls wore creative costumes and ds wore a nametag that said Tyrese.

I am sure they were polite, as they always were when dh or I used to take them out. I don't know why they would be rude.

I would rather they were out getting chocolate than at an unsupervised party drinking alcohol and smoking pot, you know?

We had a couple other groups of teens who were nice and polite and chatty and wished us a Merry Hanukah and Happy Christmas as well as Happy Halloween. Teenagers are so funny.
#26 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 AM

My husband works evenings, so my mother and I took my boys TOT. I made up goodie bags and left them in a box on the porch with a sign that said, "Out trick or treating, please take one". DS and I made up the bags together and he decorated the box with Halloween scrapbooking paper and stickers, so it was a fun activity for us. I had made 100 gift bags and there were none left when we got home. However, my parents live in the same neighborhood and my dad stayed home to give out candy at their house, and he said they had at least 200 kids come by, so I guess I underestimated.

Regarding the older kids, in general last night, they were all polite. I noticed a few trampling through yards and across flower beds, but I think that was more out of excitement than rudeness. If we saw a group of older kids heading toward a house where we were going, we just let them go first, as we were pretty slow.

Our worst experience last night was with the parents waiting on the sidewalks for thier kids. One man had a dog on a leash that lunged at DS when we passed by. Several others were standing in the sidewalk smoking. I have a bigger problem with that than with the teens.
#27 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 11:44 AM

I don't mind if teens come in costumes, but we had gangs of teens last night with no costumes & who never said T.O.T or thank you. I think it is totally rude, but gave out candy anyway.

Then, when I was taking my kids around, there was another big group of teens (uncostumed) who threw a firecracker from one side of the street to the other! It landed in someone's front yard & would have hit us if we had been a few steps further up. I was very p.o., but was afraid to say anything in fear of them doing something back to us . . .

My kids had fun, regardless . . .
#28 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 11:53 AM

I went trick-or-treating till I was 16, but always in costume.

We gave candy to all last night, but no costume meant one candy only.

No "Trick-or-Treat"? No candy. I'd just stand there with the bowl, waiting. They all caught on.

My mother still calls anyone who appears to be older than 12 a "gork". Oh well.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#29 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I don't mind if teens come in costumes, but we had gangs of teens last night with no costumes & who never said T.O.T or thank you. I think it is totally rude, but gave out candy anyway.
Yeah, that's my take too. There were way too many teens out last night without costumes. As I've said before, they're "too cool" to dress up, but still want free candy. I still give it to them, but I'm not pleased that the parents let them do it. Oh well, to each their own, I guess.

I do have a big problem with ringing the bell after your lights are off. Our ToT time in our town was 5-7. Personally, I thought 7 was too early, bigger kids don't even go out until 6ish and an hour is too short. I cut them some slack and kept the lights on, handing out candy until 8. I turned off the lights at 8, we were trying to get DS (2) into bath/bed and the baby was already asleep. Two groups still came up to our (dark) house and rang the bell. I wish parents would tell their kids - "no lights = stay away."

About the leaving your house thing - we took DS around right at 5 for about a half hour (just to the neighbors.) I left a bucket of candy with a friendly note to take one, explaining we were taking our giraffe and our strawberry around the neighborhood and would be back shortly. Worked well for us!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#30 of 124 Old 11-01-2005, 12:03 PM

I love TOTers of any age-- I prefer to see them in costume. Although, I give anyone candy. i don't mind at all. I love seeing that. I love the parents all dressed up as well. It's so fun. My 13 yr old took her sibs around the neighborhood- she was dressed up as were all the teens in the neighborhood. I love halloween. I don't dress up, but i love my Jack-o-laterns, my little decorations, and I enjoy passing out candy. Our neighborhood is smallish and we never get more than 40 kids.

When I lived in the city, in a neighborhood of one family homes close together, we got hundreds of kids. I often shut my light off about 9:00 and that was never a problem. When we lived in that nieghborhood, people would sit on their porches & yak, have a beer, and hand out candy. That was a great little community.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page