Good books for developing girls?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-28-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am searching for good book titles for my 10 year old. Most of the books out there still have a hint of shame and secrecy to them that I found. Too much tampon promotion too, IMO.

So what positive body conscious and honest books for say a mature 10 and up would you recommend? I am not looking for sex books really, I am looking for body changes, becoming a woman, menses, breasts, etc.
#2 of 19 Old 01-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

Call me a nutter, but I really liked the Judy Blume books when I was that age... yeah, now they are outdated, probably a bit hokey, etc... but I really dug the honesty with regards to a girls developing feelings relating to womanhood, boys, social interaction, feeling depressed/moody/unsure/etc -- and I think she was ahead of her time too because I believe she also touches on same sex crushes and masturbation too...but not in a too explicit way. Ya may wanna check them out....just a thought...
#3 of 19 Old 01-29-2006, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

funny! I just commented on another thread that my coming of age was completely reliant on Judy Blume....I will check one out, see if it expresses what I want my daughter to feel (positive, normal, no shame, etc). I don't recall feeling down after reading her books...
#4 of 19 Old 01-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

I love your sig! We are nearly vegan and I am an animal activist...OT...

Anyway, yeah I really liked the Judy Blume books when I was younger... like I said, they are probably way outdated now in certain respects, but I don't recall it being presented in a shameful way (growing up etc)... Also, I never felt like I was being talked "down" to...

Good luck!
#5 of 19 Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 AM

I haven't acctually read this book, but the discription makes it sound pretty great... worth checking out at least! "What's Happening to My Body book for girls, A Growing-Up Guide for Preteens and Teens by Lynda Madaras and her daughter Area" I heard about it here: http://birthwithsol.com/firstperiodkit.html
Good luck!
#6 of 19 Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Soygurl, and welcome to Mothering!

that looks like just the book I was looking for! I found it at www.attachmentscatalog.com
instead ( I just can't bring myself to buy from anyone who sells sea sponges for menses!)
#7 of 19 Old 02-02-2006, 07:10 PM

I agree with the Judy Blume recommendations...I just think she does such a nice job getting inside the female mind at that age!
#8 of 19 Old 02-02-2006, 07:35 PM

I got my oldest daughter, who is soon to be 12, "Growing Up: It's a Girl Thing" by Mavis Jukes. If I could find it in her room I would look through it and see how it is. She seemed to enjoy it.
I remember enjoying the Judy Blume books aswell. I've bought "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?" for her, as Margaret is her name but she's not interested as it doesn't involve Harry Potter.
#9 of 19 Old 02-07-2006, 12:19 AM

You could check out the American Girl section in the book store. My dd has The Care and Keeping of Me. She has refers to it quite frequently. There are a couple more including a journal type book for the same topics with different quizzes, etc. My dd loves all quizzes in books and mags . Also there is one about friendships. ENJOY
#10 of 19 Old 02-09-2006, 02:20 PM

My dd, 11 loves them.....
#11 of 19 Old 02-24-2006, 05:35 AM

Hi there!

check out 'Chicken soup for the Kid's soul'

and i think there's '7 habits for highly effective teens' (for those with teenagers out there).
#12 of 19 Old 02-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Ditto the American Girl Series. I got DD both the body and the emotions books. She read them cover to cover and continually uses them to ask questions. I think they will serve her for these transitional years. They are straightforward and informative.

The emotions one actually helped her solve her aggressive behavior toward her brother.

I think sometimes it helps to get the information from a more "formal" source than a parent or family member. It makes it seem more official and some kids really like that.
#13 of 19 Old 03-03-2006, 01:41 AM

Showing my ignorance, I'm sure... What's wrong w/ sea sponges for menses?

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#14 of 19 Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we just got dd the Body Book: Its a God Thing and The Beauty Book: Its a God Thing. They are definitely from a Christian perspective but very streight forward and informative. Not so much about sex but just puberty. the period section covers sily myths, options for sanitary products and while it doesn't mention cloth they don't really focus on them being disposable, mostly just thickness and shapes and don't flush them (this aplys to both ). they go over pros and cons of tampons. the beauty book covers basic grooming, make up, one of them covers nutrition and exercise and body image. they have little quizzes and activities and space at the end of ach chapter for writing down thoughts feels and questions. ther eis scripture woven throughout which I think is noce. She likes them. There is a whole set of fiction (which looks cute but i haven't read them so don't take my word for it) as well as several other titls in this series . . buddies, blurry rules?, its my life, .. oh I get it, there is a fictional Lily book for each of the little information/work books (I am putzing through the back of the books)

We also like the American girl ones.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#15 of 19 Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiBeKa
You could check out the American Girl section in the book store. My dd has The Care and Keeping of Me. She has refers to it quite frequently. There are a couple more including a journal type book for the same topics with different quizzes, etc. My dd loves all quizzes in books and mags . Also there is one about friendships. ENJOY
1/2 the girls DD knows have this book and they all read it. i do think most of them hide it--but i know my DD read it cover to cover because she was deeply worried about "tamppoons up the woohoo" and was talking to everyone about it including DH. very funny! once i explained that tampons were an option not a requirement she settled done. as much as she ever does. she said nothing else freaked her out in the book and she quotes it on pimples. so it must have worked. both crunchy and non-crunchy types seem to like it.
#16 of 19 Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 PM

I highly recommend the 10th anniversary Edition of "It's Perfectly Normal," by Robie H. Harris.

I think it is a very healthy look at sexual, emotional, and physical development that occurs during puberty. It discusses boys and girls; hetero adn homosexuality; family planning (including abstinence and birth control); masturbation; STDs; and healthy lifestyle choices --exercise, food, etc. It discusses relationships and feelings, as well as the scientific explanations for what is going on with the developing teen body. I really think it's a great book.

Lori
#17 of 19 Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 AM

I just remembered another good one: http://www.gurl.com/shop/pages/0,,621990,00.html "Deal With It" has info on sex and stuff too, but is a good choice compared to most others (maybe in a couple years though?). I also like the american girls book "the care and keeping of me" but it was a little too mainstreem for me personaly.

Oh, and I was wondering too: what's wrong with sea sponges?

~Kelsie
#18 of 19 Old 04-14-2006, 04:04 AM

I also vote for 'are you there god, its me margaret' it was a classic 20 yrs ago when i was 12 ( ok i just feel OLD now) and its relevant today.
seeing as how my oldest girl is 3 until my neice came last week and shes 8 i have not given much thought to this however with DD8 and DS10(nephew) i think i need to brush up on my skills.

i dont know what type of relationship you and DD have but how about some relaxing time where you and she read books together, either out loud during a 'story time' or you both read a book and then discuss it in a week, kinda like a mini book club?
even my older kids like when we read together. i do have to admit its helped with my relationship with my 8 yr old. i can see a real difference in the past week.

also id recommend checking out your library, usually the youth librarians are very VERY helpful in this area. and last year i went to a presentation by Planned parenthood called "talking to your kids about sex" you could try to call your local PP chapter and see what they recommend. I know ours has 'mom daughter' and 'father son' group sessions that are kid friendly and give the parents insight to the kids world as well.
#19 of 19 Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 AM

My oldest dd also subscribes to New Moon magazine, and when each issue arrives, we read the articles aloud to each other. It gives us a chance to talk about a variety of issue, and gives us some time together. It's a fantastic magazine--no advertising, no frooffy articles--very real, very girl-power type of stuff. It's aimed at ages 9-13 I think.

Lori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page