My 10 yo is driving me crazy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What am I going to do with this girl!

I've got a busy house: 14 yo boy, 12 yo boy, 10 yo girl, 15 month girl. My 12 yo nephew and my 10 yo niece also stay with me in the afternoons until their mom gets home from work. Just counting my own kids, I've got a trumpet player, a trombone player, a piano player, a baseball player, a softball player, 2 boyscouts, and members in countless school clubs. I also feed an army every evening and help 5 kids with homework, all while lactating and changing diapers. With a moderate amount of cooperation and teamwork, this can all go very smoothly and everybody is happy.

My oldest two get that if they take care of a few essentials, I am free to be their taxi driver or project helper or cookie baker or whatever. If I'm not picking up laundry off the floor or clearing someone's dirty dishes, then I get to sit on the couch and hear about everone's day. If I point out a pair of stray tennis shoes in the living room, I get a "Sorry, Mom" and they get put away immediately.

My 10 yo on the other hand, will pick up the shoes after being reminded 2 or 3 times, and then she'll toss them on the floor in front of the closet they belong in! Dirty dishes left on the counter are hers nine times out of ten. She is famous for elaborate art projects that cover my floor in bits of paper and my desk in puddles of glue. Her toothpaste is on the counter and her towel is on the floor.

I'll call her in to pick up her messes, but nothing I say seems to stick in her head. I spent the weekend helping her sort through her belongings, weeding out what she really doesn't love or need, to help her stay organized. My thanks was to pass her room an hour later to find crap all over her floor again!

How do you get through to a die hard slob?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page