How old were you when you got your first period? How old was your daughter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some of the comments here made me wonder if it's true what "they" say, that girls are getting their periods earlier than they used to. If so, that's kind of sad and scary!

So how old were you when you got first menarch?

(If you have a daughter old enough) How old was your daughter?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 62 Old 02-12-2003, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom and sister were 15 and I was 14. My older sister was jealous that I was younger than she was, but was happy that I got to endure the torture too. So we were all late bloomers...
I remember in health class I got some of the questions wrong about how many days till the next period if girl x got it on this day... and my (male) health teacher was really understanding when I told him I hadn't gotten it yet. He was also the gym teacher, so when I got it the first time, he was sympathetic about me constantly running to the locker room in paranoya that the pad was leaking!! He had a daughter, so he was REALLY COOL!!
#3 of 62 Old 02-12-2003, 08:32 PM

I was nearly 16. My baby sister, 11 years younger than me, had hers when she was about 12.

I think girls do get them earlier these dys. I heard once that it had some relation to the way our food is processed, but that was just somethung heard. I can't back that up.
#4 of 62 Old 02-12-2003, 09:18 PM

I was 12 I think. And didn't have another for about a year after that.

I have heard that when a girl's body reaches a certain percentage of body fat this is what triggers the beginning of menses. When you consider we are becoming more and more overweight at younger and younger an age, it makes sense that girls are starting to menstruate earlier.

I too have also heard the link to hormones used in raising animals for consumption link.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#5 of 62 Old 02-12-2003, 10:21 PM

I was 13 and my DD was also 13
#6 of 62 Old 02-12-2003, 11:17 PM

I was 11 and I think my sister was 11 or 12. I don't have any daughters though.
#7 of 62 Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 AM

I was 12 and dd was 13.
#8 of 62 Old 02-13-2003, 12:07 PM

I was 11, my sister was 12. I have 3 dds one started at 11 like me, another at 12 and the other one at 14. Go figure!

-b
#9 of 62 Old 02-13-2003, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I was 12, whereas my mom had started at 14. BUT she lost a lot of weight right after getting all the other signs of puberty, so probably she was about to get her period when her body fat got so much lower. (Not only is there a threshhold amount of body fat for adequate estrogen production, but a rapid weight loss can stop estrogen production temporarily, even in women who were previously menstruating. My mom went from overweight to normal weight.)

In addition to the increase in overweight children, I've heard some other factors for the drop in menarcheal age:

*improved nutrition. This was in the first half of the 20th century, when the average age dropped from 17 to 13 or something like that. The decline has been slower since then.

*hormones in meat and milk.

*xenoestrogens in the environment. These are byproducts of industrial processes and are also blamed for lowered sperm counts in men and genital deformities in male animals such as frogs.

*chemicals in hair treatments, particularly straighteners used by African-Americans, which are absorbed thru the skin. I'm sorry I don't remember the details about this--I heard it on NPR, I think--but said treatments were still on the market as of last fall.

*lack of dietary fiber. Studies since the 1960s had shown that vegetarian girls menstruate later; a recent study looked at diet in more detail and linked the difference to fiber.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#10 of 62 Old 02-13-2003, 07:10 PM

personally I don't buy the story that girls are getting them earlier. I was 13, dd is 13 and hasn't gotten hers yet. My mom was 10 I think?? I remember her telling me that she got it really early.
#11 of 62 Old 02-13-2003, 07:28 PM

I agree with you arduinna. I think we just talk about it more. My mom was 10, I was 14 and my sister was 14/15. Some girls in my neighborhood were earlier others were latter.
#12 of 62 Old 02-13-2003, 07:45 PM

Me: 12. My sis: 12. Dd#1: 12. Dd#2: 12.

Juliet was not yet 14 and already marriage material, and that play was written in the mid 17th century. Her mother was already a mother at that age, she told her.
#13 of 62 Old 02-14-2003, 03:14 PM

Remember, the average across a population says absolutely nothing about the value of one data point. One girl born in 1980 may have started at an older age than one girl born in 1960, but the AVERAGE age for girls born in 1980 may still be younger than the average for girls born in 1960; the two individuals are just at different points on the curve for their cohort. (Can you tell I am a data analyst? )

Another thing to remember is that half of your daughter's genes come from her dad's family, who may have a different puberty timetable than yours, and she might "take after" anyone in the family, due to recessive genes and so on.

T One thing that puzzles me (being interested in puberty and how it influences people's life experiences, and thus tending to start conversations about it w/friends) is that almost all women remember their first period vividly and often recall the exact date, whereas about half of men have no particular recollection of their first ejaculation, whether it was via wet dream or masturbation. I can understand why the date is so memorable for menstruation: because of the emphasis on tracking your cycle. But it seems like ejaculation, the "now I'm a man!" event, would be memorable as an experience. : They seem to be better able to remember when their voices changed or they started shaving or other more "public" (one hopes!) aspects of puberty, whereas for women menarche seems to be the most memorable step. Any idea why that is?

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#14 of 62 Old 02-14-2003, 04:28 PM

Quote:
almost all women remember their first period vividly and often recall the exact date, whereas about half of men have no particular recollection of their first ejaculation, whether it was via wet dream or masturbation
My guess is that this event for boys may have some feelings of guilt or shame associated with it since it is a more of a sexual response. Of course its natural, but society has its taboos that cause these inappropriate feelings. I know my mother believes masturbation is a horrible, sinful thing. She was offended by that Sinfeld episode about masturbation.

Also, I'm not male, but I am going to guess that it isn't the sort of thing you talk to the guys at school about, unlike the way young girls may share the milestone of menstruation more openly with their girlfriends.

Also, I am not sure if fathers or mothers prepare young boys for this event in the same way mothers do with their daughters.

The other reason may just be that men are horrible with dates anyhow

I actually do not recall how old I was exactly, or the date or anything. I think I was in 7th grade and it was fall maybe, but I coulln't say for sure. So whats that say about me? hmmm

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#15 of 62 Old 02-14-2003, 07:57 PM

half of all women remember the date?? That's amazing to me. I had to think back and remember how old I was. I have no idea of the date, or season for that matter.
#16 of 62 Old 02-14-2003, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was 11. My girls aren't old enough yet. my friend who has teenage dd swears that she can already see the hormones shifting in my oldest. or as she puts it "the 2-3 years of PMS before the storm". lovely!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#17 of 62 Old 02-15-2003, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lea
. I know my mother believes masturbation is a horrible, sinful thing. She was offended by that Sinfeld episode about masturbation.
Woah, now that was a Freudian slip, or did you do it on purpose?

I don't remember my first period either. I do remember my best friend's tho. She got hers in 6th grade and I went to the nurse with her. I was soooo jealous. I was ridiculously obsessed about getting mine. I used to write in my diary about it. My sister is only 15 months younger than me and I was so anxious she would get hers first! My girls did not get obsessed about getting theirs. They are homeschooled tho, and maybe didn't have all the peer pressure?
#18 of 62 Old 02-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Was I the only person who didn't want thier period. i was so embarrassed about the whole thing. Of course mine started heavy and lasting for 7 or more days. I still dohn't want those.
I didn't tell a soul I had gotten it and made every attempt to not let anyone know. I was still in elementry school.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#19 of 62 Old 02-15-2003, 02:13 PM

I was addressing EnviroBecca's question about male's and nocturnal emmissions/masturbation etc..

Quote:
whereas about half of men have no particular recollection of their first ejaculation, whether it was via wet dream or masturbation
I did mean to type masturbation, not menstruation.. they do look strangely similar, though don't they?

#20 of 62 Old 02-15-2003, 02:39 PM

My mom doesn't remember when she got hers I was 14, MIL was 14 and I'm hoping DD will be around that age, too... I appreciate the homeschooling comment ~ I'm glad she'll be with me when it happens and if she really doesn't feel like being out and about, she doesn't have to! Hannah at 6.5 and even Hayden at 4.5, have been fully educated about *bleeding time* and I think they mourn the loss of my *eggs that come out every month because they didn't become babies* I've also given Hannah the speil I so wish I had recieved ~ you've got all of your *potential* babies in your body already, you need to be responsible for them your whole life long, not just when you're a grown up and ready to have a real baby.

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#21 of 62 Old 02-16-2003, 05:41 PM

bs"d

I *think* I was 14 when I got my period...ummm...maybe I was 13... DD isn't going to be getting her periods anytime soon. I don't know what I'd do with a PMSing/teething 7 mo!

I can't remember anything about my first period.

OT:

I do remeber that I used to bleed for three weeks straight, then start again in a week after it stopped. Also had horrible cramps, same as my mother (she had a hysterectomy due to fibroids). I think I have alot of internal negative associations about my period due to this. I went to the my ob/gyn, he just said it was normal. Then he put me on birth control at 14 yo. He said I would out grow it. I went off bc at 21; my periods were much less annoying and only came every couple months. Maybe I did outgrow it?

Now I can't wait for my period. Haven't had it since I got pregnant with dd.
#22 of 62 Old 02-18-2003, 05:39 AM

I was 11 when mine started, my dd is waaaay too young (2 yo). I don't know about my mother or sister but I know I was younger than both of them. My mom was pretty shocked that mine started (because hers had started much later in her teens).

Another menarche fact for trivial persuit-living at high elevations increases the age of menarche. For instance, in Colorado (the Mile High State) the average age of menarche is higher than all the other states.
#23 of 62 Old 02-19-2003, 09:22 PM

13 when I got mine and my dd was 14.......
#24 of 62 Old 02-20-2003, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

whoa, Momalea, that's pretty interesting. I wonder why that is.

I was 13 y.o. It was March 13! And for the longest time my periods came on the 13th or 14th of every month.

Ds was born on the 21st and my periods have been coming on the 20th or 21st since I started up again. I think that's pretty cool.

Dd is 8 y.o. I do wonder what's going on in her body right now. She seems pretty emotionally stable and reasonable these days. And she's still such a little girl! I do NOT want these days to go by too quick! Maybe because my teenage years were so tumultuous with my mother.

Anyway, dd has had one tiny little black head right in the middle of her cheeck for almost a year now... (Irishmommy's post "Is she too young for this?" got me thinking about this whole issue.)

#25 of 62 Old 02-20-2003, 03:12 PM

I was 11 years old and my dd was 10!! We had just read a book about periods and puberty the week before it happened, so she knew exactly what was going on, plus I've always been open about mine with her since she was little.

Ten years is quite young, and I wish she could have gotten later, but what can you do? NOTHING.
#26 of 62 Old 02-20-2003, 05:02 PM

My DH and I were discussing this this past weekend. I was 10,my mom was 11 and his sister was 12. That means that my oldest could have her's as early as 10 . That's way too soon for this mommy-she's 5.
#27 of 62 Old 02-23-2003, 04:29 PM

I was 11, a month and a half shy of 12th birthday. My daughter who is now 10 (10/92) started in July when she was 9. It is so sad. She is developed like a 12-13 yo but still immature about certain things. I often am confused on how to "treat" her. Her periods are painful. She doesn't swallow pills very good. I recently bought Orange eseential oils and it seems to help some. Anyone else have any ideas on natural remedies to help her with her painful periods that hurt her the first two-three days. First couple days before she starts she has headaches. I had painful periods but was much older than her. I tolerated them as best as I could. She is weepy and very emotional too before and during.
#28 of 62 Old 02-24-2003, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that's just not fair! I'm sorry she has to go through that. That's just exactly what I'm concerned about.

I don't have any advice to give except continue to be sympathetic and understanding. Sixkids, did your periods get any less painful as you got older?

#29 of 62 Old 02-24-2003, 09:35 PM

Journeymom, yes my periods did get less painful as I got older.
#30 of 62 Old 02-25-2003, 03:15 PM

Sixkids, encourage exercise during PMS; getting the blood moving helps "decongest" the pelvic area and prevent cramping later. Exercise will help during the period too, but if she doesn't feel like it, another helpful treatment is lying flat on the back with legs raised. Eating more fiber and less salt and meat is supposed to help cramps, too. And have you tried Red Raspberry Leaf tea?

The headaches probably are caused by plummeting estrogen. Eating more soy foods might help with that. In general, with headaches it can be very helpful to pay attention to whether your body is craving a particular food or drink. My headaches often are alleviated by spaghetti, for instance; I don't know why, but I assume it's fulfilling some unmet need of my brain chemistry. Be careful how you talk to your daughter about food cravings, tho, because she needs to understand the distinction between "what my body needs to feel better" and "what I would like to eat"!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page