13 And Wants To Color His Hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I Have 6 Kids And My Oldest Boy(13) Wants To Color His Hair We Keep Telling Him He Should Wait But He Wants To Do It Any Ways Should We Just Go Ahead And Let Him Do Color It Or Make Him Wait.
#2 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM

you prob didn't meant to post this in the baby forum...

anyway, i say let him. you might as well have fun. ask him what color. you could even go with him to buy the dye.

i colored my hair as a kid. i could feel different and it's a safe way to feel different, kwim?
#3 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What colour does he want to make it? If it's not something outrageous (like green or something) then I say let him do it. (Of course my eldest son's godmother took him to get highlights when he was 10, so maybe my perspective's skewed. )

I have always been of the opinion that if kids are given (limited) autonomy over temporary things (like hair), they may be less likely to exert autonomy over something more permanent (like ear-piercing).

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#4 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 03:48 PM

raising my two sunshine children.

#5 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 04:00 PM

I started coloring my hair when I was around 11. Then again I grew up in Orange County and I was making my hair more blonde, so....

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#6 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM

There are lots of color choices from temporary to permanent. See if you can steer him to temporary - this just coming from the mom in me And even permanent will grow out. Let him be who he wants to be. My sister colored her hair just about every color imaginable. It was always changing all through high school.
#7 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our rule is any natural colors may be permanent, but colors that do not naturally occur in hair (green, blue, purple, pink) must be temporary. Sometimes just the colored hairspray, so they can get a chance to see what they'll look like with neon green hair is enough to make them decide they don't like it. It's just a form of self-expression, and if he/she doesn't like it, he/she can always shave it or try a different color!
#8 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 PM

hair grows back, it's not like a tattoo
#9 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 04:15 PM

I agree with the pps. Hair grows out, and 13 seems about right to me. Even if it's green or purple--hey, it's only hair. (My mom, who is by no means a purple-hair-kind-of-woman, complemented me on mine when I was a teen by saying, "oh, it's so pretty! Just like an aubergine!" Took the rebellion right out of me. I washed it out pretty soon thereafter.)
#10 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabigus
I agree with the pps. Hair grows out, and 13 seems about right to me. Even if it's green or purple--hey, it's only hair. (My mom, who is by no means a purple-hair-kind-of-woman, complemented me on mine when I was a teen by saying, "oh, it's so pretty! Just like an aubergine!" Took the rebellion right out of me. I washed it out pretty soon thereafter.)
nabigus, your mum is a very smart woman, nothing like agreeing with your teen to suck the rebellion right out one!!!
#11 of 22 Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM

In my opinion 13 is old enough for hair colour. DD desperately wanted orange hair when she was 7. I found some temporary colour that comes out as a mousse and we used that. It took about 2 months to wash out. She's now done pink as well. You can also get colours that wash out after one wash.

My only rule is that DD cannot do a full head colour because I refuse to let the chemicals sit on her scalp (too many hair colours have known carcinogens in them). You can use a cap or foils which allow you to do the hair while minimizing any chemical contact with the scalp.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#12 of 22 Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 AM

I just have a simple question: why would you NOT allow him to color his hair? That seems like such an easy decision to me. 13 is plenty old enough to make decisions like that, so yes, DEFINITELY let him color it...whatever color he wants. My boys (12 and 10) have had purple hair, green hair, pink hair, etc. and it's never been an issue.
#13 of 22 Old 03-23-2006, 08:35 AM

i would totally let him go for it. it's his hair.

my dd has had pink streaks in her hair. she's 4.
#14 of 22 Old 03-23-2006, 10:12 AM

#15 of 22 Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 AM

Oh yeh, I was dying my hair long before my 13th b-day. Actually, I made a deal with my mom, I got her to agree to letting me try temporary hair color, then gradually progressed to permanent. It let me explore with what was available and decide which color I wanted the most.
#16 of 22 Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 AM

I say 13 is plenty old enough. If he dosn't like it he could always choose a different color or just shave his head
#17 of 22 Old 03-31-2006, 04:35 PM

i agree with everyone else. unless he has a job, why not??
#18 of 22 Old 03-31-2006, 05:22 PM

my 11 yr old has had pink in her hair since she was 9

We usually do the front and maybe 4 -6 inches of the bottom, no one bats an eye and she is the *only* kid in our tiny town with pink hair.
here is her hair now

I don't see the big deal about it, the way I look at it is the more open I am to listening to what she wants to do now the more open she is going to be with me later with the more "important" stuff ya know?
#19 of 22 Old 04-01-2006, 04:01 AM

My 15 year old son has asked me several times to bleach his hair. I told him that if he gets straight A's he can do whatever he wants. I'm not holding my breath :-)

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#20 of 22 Old 04-01-2006, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My 14yr old has vibrantly blue hair. It's awesome. Her hair's been green, purple, red, burgandy.... My parents never let me color my hair at all which enraged me (& I rebelled by dying my hair bright blue for several years in my late 20s!! ). So, I made the decision to let my dd have a lot of control over her looks (well, all the control so far- thank GOODNESS she doesn't want to dress like Paris Hilton or anything!). If we don't let our kids/teens have fun with their appearance when they're young, when will they get to?? They have their entire adult lives to be stuck with "normal" looking hair, let's let them have fun while they are young! Also, I think changing your appearance is all a healthy part of searching for your identity. It's good & it's fun. I will however ignore my own advice if my dd decides that her "identity" includes dressing like Paris.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#21 of 22 Old 04-04-2006, 02:34 PM

I agree! My kids have always had control over their hair. My dd had dyed her hair red,pink,blue,etc... even the semi-permanent dyes (like manic panic) only last a couple of weeks. My oldest son is 17 and has no desire to color his, but wears it in a really long ponytail! Unless he's playing bass with his "band", then he likes that wild rock-and-roll look!LOL!
#22 of 22 Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 PM

My 10yo ds has been playing with hair color since he was 8. His hair is naturally a sandy blond. Right now it's black with orange tips. It's been all black, bleach blond and intense blue. What he really wants is neon green, but I've yet to find that anywhere.

14yo ds has no interest in coloring his hair.

If you let him do it and he picks some wild color, you should make sure it's okay with the school. Some schools prohibit "unusual" hair colors as part of their dress codes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page