coming of age celebration/gift ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been invited to the coming of age ceremony of a good freinds 15yo daughter. I think it is called a Huitaca (sp?) it is a 4 day ceremony in the wilderness where she will receive her teachings from Apache elders and join us at the end and be welcomed into the community as an adult. I am so honored to be a part of this!!!!

anyway I need to come up with some ideas for a special gift?

also does anyone have any "coming of age" type poetry they might post that I can share with her? (I have some, but looking for more as I plan to write them out in a journal for her)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 04:50 AM

What a beautiful idea!!! I'm going to lurk here to see what people suggest. I'd like to do a very simple coming of age celebration for my daughters when they start menstruating and one for ds at some point that seems appropriate.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

bumping! the ceremony is coming up quickly and I am still clueless!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Not sure if this is what you all are looking for or not, but Skuld over at Hagrag just created a custom first moon kit for me to give to my daughter. It has a ton of stuff in it such as pads, a moon calendar, a storage bag w/ compartments for dry & used pads, a journal, a candle, a book, etc, etc, etc. She can custom make pretty much whatever. Go on over and check her out. www.hagrag.bigstep.com
Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 AM

We had a Red Party for my dd#1. All the women of my family joined. We all wore red, we ate red food, drank red juices and talked about what menses was like for us when we were young as what we had learned about it over the years. We read poetry and gave her small red gifts. Jewelry, a scarf two red candles, a red shirt and red undies.
We don't have any spiritual practice that we followed. This was the first one in our family. We sort of combined what we knew of other coming of age gathering and added our own twist

I think jewelery is always a perfect gift!

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

User Tag List