What age did DD start shaving? ** I LET HER SHAVE** UPDATE - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 05-28-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use DH's Mach 3

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#62 of 92 Old 05-28-2006, 03:58 PM

This thread is seriously freaking me out My dd is 11 and she has *nothing* growing under her arms, and her legs are still really smooth. She just reached a point that we realized that she might need a bra in the next, oh, five or ten years...Yikes.
#63 of 92 Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
As you grow older your hair naturally gets darker and
courser. It’s a myth that shaving will cause your hair to
grow differently than it would have without shaving.
I have to disagree. I have very fine, very light hair on my upper leg, where I have NEVER shaved. Same with my arms, etc. But the hair on my lower legs, that I began shaving at the age of 14, is black, coarse, and gets WAY longer than the hair on the sections of my body that I have never shaved. It also grows in at weird angles, etc.

Perhaps it is different for dark haired women, or they just don't notice the difference?

I'd like for my children, male and female to make decisions about their personal appearance based on THEIR preferences, and not because of teasing or pressure from other people.

Unfortunately, it seems to be too much to hope for.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#64 of 92 Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
As you grow older your hair naturally gets darker and
courser. It’s a myth that shaving will cause your hair to
grow differently than it would have without shaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
I have to disagree. I have very fine, very light hair on my upper leg, where I have NEVER shaved. Same with my arms, etc. But the hair on my lower legs, that I began shaving at the age of 14, is black, coarse, and gets WAY longer than the hair on the sections of my body that I have never shaved. It also grows in at weird angles, etc.

Perhaps it is different for dark haired women, or they just don't notice the difference?

I'd like for my children, male and female to make decisions about their personal appearance based on THEIR preferences, and not because of teasing or pressure from other people.

Unfortunately, it seems to be too much to hope for.
Dark hair on your lower leg and light hair on the upper leg are totally normal, no matter weather you shave or not. I'm dark haired, I've shaved my upperlegs (though not as often as the lower), and my hair there still grows short, thin and blonde. So I'll have to agree with the PP you quoted. Those hairs that are supposed to stay light and short will cotinue to be so, the ones that are supposed to turn dark will.
Which makes sense because shaving just cuts the hair and doesn't affect the hair growing cells, whatever they're called.
#65 of 92 Old 06-25-2006, 12:54 PM

My dd is 8 so we haven't had this disscusion yet. But when the time comes if dd feels she is ready then I will let her. I started shaveing between 10 and 11. I have dark hair so my leg hair is black, dd has blond hair so hers is blonde and not noticable. Hopefully it is a long time before it becomes an issue.
#66 of 92 Old 06-25-2006, 09:16 PM

My mom's opinion was: If you're old enough to grow it, you're old enough to shave it. This went for the boys and the girls. I was 12, I think, maybe 13, when I told my mom I wanted to shave. She said, well, you know where the razors are! And that was that.

I have used the Intuition and really liked it, but the refills got expensive, so I use a Soleil now.
#67 of 92 Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 AM

As far as razors go, I LOVE any Shick razor will the thin wires on the blades that a PP mentioned. I've been using these for years (first the Shick Silk Effects Plus, and now the Quatro). I've tried the Gillet Vinus, and personally hated it. I find that I can get a closer shave with the think wires, but maybe that's just me... deffinatly less knicks though!

~Kelsie
#68 of 92 Old 06-26-2006, 12:53 PM

My daughter will be 12 in August and has been shaving since she was 10, like me. We bought her the Venus by Gilette and she hasn't had any trouble with nicks.
#69 of 92 Old 06-26-2006, 02:24 PM

my 11yr old just shaved for the first time last week. She had been asking me to do it for a while and I kept hoping she would forget, she has very fine blonde hair and you honestly can't see it unless your very close to her legs, but she was set on shaving because her friends are and she kept saying "my legs are ugly" so we went to the store and got her some shaving cream and a good razor. She actually wanted me to show her how to do it properly so she wouldn't get cut.

She never even considered shaving her legs until she spent the night with my mom last year and my mother put NAIR on her legs and told her she had to 'get that gross hair off' her legs... :it gave her a terrible rash and I gave my mother an earfull... but I guess thats a whole other thread, lol.
#70 of 92 Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 AM

I started letting my dd's start shaving their legs at 10 underarms at 11 and 12 I let them shave their privates. I thought those were all appropriate times.
#71 of 92 Old 07-03-2006, 02:06 PM

DD's only three, so I don't know when/if she'll start shaving. I started at about 11 or so. But, mom didn't even know about it until she saw me in shorts. I just started using my dad's razor!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#72 of 92 Old 07-03-2006, 09:46 PM

I let my dd shave just this year at age 11. It was all her idea...I encouraged her to think it through first. Her leg hair was quite dark and it was summer and time for swimsuits!

However, I bought her an ELECTRIC razor, which is just what my mom did for me. There is no way you can cut yourself with an electric, and its a great way to learn to shave. Just an idea for all of you!
#73 of 92 Old 07-04-2006, 04:35 PM

I started around age 11/12, can't really remember. I would let my daughter if she is in school at that time (we may h/s her) because in 6th grade they start gym class in our area and they have to dress out and wear shorts in gym. I would feel bad for her if all the other kids had smooth legs. It's definitely something that as a woman I do almost daily so I see nothing wrong with it.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#74 of 92 Old 07-04-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymom33
and 12 I let them shave their privates.
I didn't even do that until I was in my late 20's the first time. Does she have really dark hair or something?

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#75 of 92 Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymom33
I started letting my dd's start shaving their legs at 10 underarms at 11 and 12 I let them shave their privates. I thought those were all appropriate times.
I find this whole topic interesting. I started shaving my privates when I was...13 or 14, I guess. Again, my mom had no idea. I just started doing it. (I think I was about 20 before I realized that other women did it, too!)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#76 of 92 Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 AM

I don't have time to read all the replies right now, though I read the first two pages so far.
I was one of the girls that was pressured and shamed into shaving by my mother and older sister. When I was 14 I finally gave in to the shaving after many months of being laughed and sneered at -- no one at school really had ever said anything to me about it, but I was also a very private person. I was also forced to wear bras around this age and psychologically abused(by my mother) about jiggling breasts underneath my shirts. I would have been a lot more open to a sports bra tank/undershirt type thing and some gentle guidance about the issue...but my mom was just ruthless.
She used to blow up on us when we were young kids and then blame this big scary, unescapable thing that happens to all women called one's "period". I spent much of my childhood in secret terror over this "horrible fate" that God would bring upon me and prayed every night for years to wake up with a penis instead.
I think mothers of young daughters should be especially careful about comments they make regarding their own physical appearance. If your daughters says you are pretty -- just thank her and never put yourself down in front of her. But like I said, I was a very sensitive child.
#77 of 92 Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Wow, I just started a thread about nail polish. I hadn't even CONSIDERED shaving! I can't wait for that issue to come up.

I think I was 14 when I started shaving. I did it because I felt like a baby because everyone else was shaving and I wasn't. I never wanted to shave, and when I was 19 I stopped and haven't ever done it again. If your daughter says she wants to shave, I would ask her why and talk to her about the range of options she has in dealing with her body hair and other people's comments on it/social pressure.

My mom never pressured me to shave, but she certainly displayed her disapproval when I stopped. Now she has to admit that not shaving is really no big deal. I wish that my mom would have told me that I didn't have to shave. She never pressured me to shave, but she never told me I didn't have to and it didn't occur me to that I didn't have to until I went to college and met the hippie girls.

Namaste!
#78 of 92 Old 07-10-2006, 01:58 PM

I started shaving at around 12, didn't want to, but got made fun of horribly and ended up having too or else I would have heck at school.

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
#79 of 92 Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohj
Personally, instead of justifying mutilation of what our bodies have, I think parents of girls who are feeling "peer pressure" should be assisting them to resist it. Anything less is falling down on the job. "Just because everyone else does it" is not a sufficient reason.
You know what? I shave my armpits, my legs and my bikini zone. (Well, whenever I actually get to take a shower lasting longer than 5 minutes ) I fully expect that my DD will also want to shave, because most people she will know will do it, and because I do it. And I do not for one second think I'm "falling down on the job". That's just insulting. If DD wants to do something to her own body, that's her business. I will never encourage her to shave, nor will I encourage her to cave to peer pressure. I will always tell her that she doesn't have to do anything just because everyone else is doing it. However, if she wants to shave her legs, pierce her ears or dye her hair, I'm not going to tell her she can't do it.

I feel uncomfortable being hairy. I know some men who feel uncomfortable being hairy. It's not a sexist issue to me, because I don't think it's "gross" or "unattractive" for women to have body hair. It's an issue of what I'm comfortable with, just as it's an issue for what the men I know who shave are comfortable with. I also cut my hair. I guess in your opinion that would be "mutilation of what my body has"? And if not, why not? Hair is hair, and our bodies grow it.

I know some women whose head hair literally touches the floor. (Most of my extended family is Pentecostal.) I actually know a lot of women like that. Many women have hair that would grow that long if they never cut it. Why is cutting that hair okay, but cutting other body hair is not? Do you also feel that it's "mutilation" when men shave their beards or trim their beard hair? When people shave their heads? If cutting or shaving hair is "mutilation" because it's natural to our bodies, then you can't pick and choose. It's either mutilation, or it isn't. I don't really believe you think shaving beards or heads is mutilation, so why do you believe shaving body hair is?
#80 of 92 Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder

Nope, that's normal. I'm a very, very pale white person, who shaves both upper and lower legs. I always have, but when I let them grow for a while, the hairs on the lower legs are brown and the hairs on the upper are so blonde and fine that you can't even see them. DH says the hair on my thighs is so soft he can't even feel it. He tells me not to bother shaving there, because you can't tell when I don't anyway, but I like to do it if I'm already taking the time to shave anyway.
#81 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 06:41 AM

she was 8 and I shaved for her so that she would not get hurt.. We decided this after she came home MANY days crying her eyes out because she was made fun of. she has very dark hair and for some reasson her hair on her legs was very dark and very thick.
#82 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 09:44 AM

When i was 11 i had full fledged hairy underarms and... well everything else.
My mother would not let me shave but instead used NAIR, or cream hair remover... it worked great on my virgin hair .. eventually though i got sick of waiting for it to disolve the hair and ended up shaving it off, now using NAIR does NOTHING for me.

I would reccomend trying nair first before letting her shave anymore..
#83 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Wow, I guess I didn't know that this sort of thing causes feelings to run so deep. I just figured- if people want to put studs in their cheekbones and stretch their earlobes and get a shag haircut or tatoo or alter their natural appearance in any way- shaving is something far less permanent!

At any rate- by the time I was 10-11, my mom and I were pretty much consensually living (more so as I got older- I never had a curfew, and pretty much informed her of things I was doing, and she did the same). One day I decided I wanted to shave, so I used my own money and bought some cheapo little razors and went to town. I think I nicked the backs of both knees, and that was what it took to learn to keep my legs/armpits/whatever at certain angles to shave them. I let my mom know what happened, and she bought me nicer razors.

For me- if my child wants to shave, she/he has my blessings. If not, the same thing. Who's to say they won't go through times where they will shave, and then not shave, and then shave again (and then again, there are similarities of style...)

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#84 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydens_mom
When i was 11 i had full fledged hairy underarms and... well everything else.
My mother would not let me shave but instead used NAIR, or cream hair remover... it worked great on my virgin hair .. eventually though i got sick of waiting for it to disolve the hair and ended up shaving it off, now using NAIR does NOTHING for me.

I would reccomend trying nair first before letting her shave anymore..
we tried nair before unfortunally my dd is allergic to it badly
#85 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara
Wow, I guess I didn't know that this sort of thing causes feelings to run so deep. I just figured- if people want to put studs in their cheekbones and stretch their earlobes and get a shag haircut or tatoo or alter their natural appearance in any way- shaving is something far less permanent!

Clara
LOL. way to discribe me ... well minus the cheek bone studs.
#86 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 04:52 PM

actually, last week was the first time I shaved DD's legs. She's 10, and I did feel it's a bit young, but her leg hairs were so long and thick....they just stood straight out from her legs!! I told her that the only way she could shave is if I'm the one doing it for her until she gets a little older.
#87 of 92 Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM

I think if its nothing noticable and the child is not coming home crying everyday because of things kids are saying about it, then it should be left alone... however if it is thick and dark and she's being teased and really insists it needs to go, well then its time.
#88 of 92 Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 PM

OK so my DD was young by the looks of everyone else's replies...I started letting her shave her legs when she was 8...maybe 8 1/2. But she was having a difficult time with her own image b/c she inherited her BF {bio-father}'s body hair and had a lot of hair on her legs. It bothered her a lot {to the point of tears several times} and I didn't think it was worth it. She now shaves about once a month...tho more during the summer.

I personally am, as one person put it, an on and off shaver - and I really could care less if people don't like it. I'm not much of a shorts wearer, so most people wouldn't have known that until last night, I hadn't shaved my legs since the middle of June. ~LOL~ My boyfriend actually has no problems with the fact that I am not much for shaving {in fact he will probably say {You shaved?" in that what for tone of his tonight} - but it used to drive DH crazy. He would tease me sometimes that I was getting longer leg hair than him. {Of course he never pressed me to shave either...b/c he knew it was my legs, my hair, and my choice. ~L~} DD's BF used to get mad if I didn't shave every couple of days...and I constantly felt like I "had" to to keep him happy...it was one of his many little controlling things. ~sigh~ {I've since learned that if a guy don't like me if I haven't shaved...he ain't worth the effort anyhow!}

DD wants to shave...and even at 8 had a good ability to give me actual reasons/explanations of why she felt the way she did. I felt if she was willing to give me an explanation that made sense and could do it herself without shredding her legs...she was more than welcome to. She has only cut her leg once...and not much more than a little nick...whereas at 14, I used to cut myself quite regularly still. {I shaved the first time at 12}.
#89 of 92 Old 08-14-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eowen77
OK so my DD was young by the looks of everyone else's replies...I started letting her shave her legs when she was 8...maybe 8 1/2. But she was having a difficult time with her own image b/c she inherited her BF {bio-father}'s body hair and had a lot of hair on her legs. It bothered her a lot {to the point of tears several times} and I didn't think it was worth it. She now shaves about once a month...tho more during the summer.

I personally am, as one person put it, an on and off shaver - and I really could care less if people don't like it. I'm not much of a shorts wearer, so most people wouldn't have known that until last night, I hadn't shaved my legs since the middle of June. ~LOL~ My boyfriend actually has no problems with the fact that I am not much for shaving {in fact he will probably say {You shaved?" in that what for tone of his tonight} - but it used to drive DH crazy. He would tease me sometimes that I was getting longer leg hair than him. {Of course he never pressed me to shave either...b/c he knew it was my legs, my hair, and my choice. ~L~} DD's BF used to get mad if I didn't shave every couple of days...and I constantly felt like I "had" to to keep him happy...it was one of his many little controlling things. ~sigh~ {I've since learned that if a guy don't like me if I haven't shaved...he ain't worth the effort anyhow!}

DD wants to shave...and even at 8 had a good ability to give me actual reasons/explanations of why she felt the way she did. I felt if she was willing to give me an explanation that made sense and could do it herself without shredding her legs...she was more than welcome to. She has only cut her leg once...and not much more than a little nick...whereas at 14, I used to cut myself quite regularly still. {I shaved the first time at 12}.
My s/o is the SAME way.. he can go a week without shaving his face and it hurts when he rubs up against be because i have sensitive skin, but i don't complain!
However, when i neglect to shave my legs and pubic region (totally off as he expects it) he gets very rude with me and insists i go have a bath and shave immediately... i ignore him however as i don't feel he should have the right to tell me what to do, and if he doesn't want to be intimate with me because i am equally as hairy as him, then that is his loss.
#90 of 92 Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 AM

My mom bought my dd a electric razor for Christmas this past year. She is 10 now and will be 11 in Nov. Anyhow, she had hair under her ams and her legs too, so it was time. I started doing it at 11 I believe. Anyhow, my dh did not think it was a good idea for her to start now, but she needed it and I knew it and my mom did. The funny thing is, she so badly wanted to start and now, she does not do it that much. Funny how that happens huh? And, you know the electric razor my mom bought her, she says she gets cuts by it. I have never heard of an electric razor that cuts.

Stacie CLD
Aurora Il
www.tendermomentsdoula.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page