Breastfeed in front of 9 y old son? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[ based on the fact that they come up and kiss his head while he's nursing.

This made me laugh out loud. My ds is almost 9 and he has grown up with my clients and students bringing their new babies and nursing all around him. The sight of a woman nursing doesn't faze him one bit because its always been presented to him as no big deal. He too kisses our youngest while they are latched and actively nursing. If the mother can present herself as uncomfortable or nervous about the son being around her, even if he does a double take once or twice that first couple days, it won't last long with mama nursing round the clock. Kids aren't born with hangups, they collect ours by seeing our example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 11:15 PM

Alas, it was me...I would have fessed up sooner but have been MIA for a couple of days because school is starting and all...

That, and I like to see people squirm in anticipation

And I still say use those kitchens where ever you gotta...

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
lol, my 9 and 11yo sons have seen a LOT of boob in the last 5 weeks. When I'm at home I'm not discreet and I don't think it makes them a bit uncomfortable, based on the fact that they come up and kiss his head while he's nursing. I think they are learning to see breasts for what they are. Kitchens!
LOL!! My boys ages 5 & almost 9 do the same thing. I try to discourage the hugging and kissing a BFing time since my little one tries looking around with letting go! :
Old 09-01-2006, 10:50 PM

My DSS was 12 when DD was born. We didn't make a big deal about it, just treatged it as the natural thing it is. The first time he saw her nursing, he was kind of staring at me in fascination and I could tell he was starting to get a little bit embarrassed, but I was really mellow about it and explained to him that breastfeeding is how babies eat and that a woman's body is designed to feed babies. He got this look of total understanding on his face and said "Ohhhhhhhh.... I get it." It was as if he had a lightbulb moment and all of a sudden, breasts made sense to him. And he never mentioned it again, nor have I ever noticed any awkwardness.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 AM

I nursed infront of my teenaged daughter and all of her friends, boys or girls. I always did it discreatly, never covered my baby up though. You can nurse and still keep yourself covered wth your shirt while nursing. If you need a blanket and feel better with it, go for it. Kay hated it at first but she got over it lol
Old 09-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama
Kids aren't born with hangups, they collect ours by seeing our example.

soooo true.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM

I nurse in front of my older children. Toddler is still nursing strong at 29mo, so they don't just see nursing, they see it toddler style.

If I act normal then I send the message that it is normal-- which it is.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama
Alas, it was me...I would have fessed up sooner but have been MIA for a couple of days because school is starting and all...

That, and I like to see people squirm in anticipation

And I still say use those kitchens where ever you gotta...
thanks! Somehow I lost track of this thread and missed your little admission
Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 AM

I would but when I was nursing dd, I did it wherever we were. When I was pregnant, I thought it would be weird to feed her in front of my dad but it wasn't.... that's what boobs are for. If you are comfortable, I bet he will be too.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well I've a 12 yo who will be nearly 13 but the time #2 is born. I'll be rbeastfeeding in front of him and we've already discussed it. he doesnt have any problems, course he's always known HE was breastfed and I've been careful to keep from attaching negative stigma to nudity and other normal states so I dont think we'll have any problems.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM

my sons were 9 & 12 when ds3 was born. Bfing in front of them was no big deal. They would usually pull my shirt out of theway to look at him. BTW my sons were also present for the birth and they did wonderful and wouldnt have missed it for the world ( even at 4 in the morning)

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 09-08-2006, 02:32 AM

Absolutely! How would he learn that bfing is natural and normal if his own mother is ashamed to do it in front of him? Teach him now what breasts are for. They're not for hiding except for during sexual times, they're for feeding babies when the babies are hungry regardless of who's around

love and peace

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :

User Tag List