My son's guilt.....how to help him let go of it. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is starting puberty 12 on the 16th and a touch hormonal....

Two weeks ago he accidently shut the dogs tail in the door. You should have heard the dog. This terrified my son. The dog didn't wag his tail afterwards and there was blood so it was a trip to the vets and an X-ray to tell us...it was just sore and OK and no stitches needed. Today I "caught/overheard" my son on the floor apologizing to the dog for hurting him. This was a complete accident! My ds apologized when it happen, rubbed, and loved on the dog.

He is being way to hard on himeslf over this. He appolized about costing us money (He knows we don't/didn't really have it). He told us not to give him birthday gifts to cover the cost of the vet trip.

How to I help him deal?? Is this normal?
#2 of 6 Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Banned

Sounds like he is an awesome person who has an excellent sense of empathy. If anything, I would give him praise and understanding.

If he feels like he wants to help pay the vet bill, maybe let him take a babysitting class or do yardwork for the neighbors, or make crafts to sell....it's a good age to learn how to make money. Let him know that he can contribute x-amount of what he makes towards a-amount of the vet bill, kwim?
#3 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 01:17 AM

I have these same kind of issues with my daughter. She has a lot of anxiety and worries a lot. We are trying really hard to help her deal with it but she gets so worried that it is hard on all of us as we feel really bad. I try to reassure her as much as humanly possible. She is also 12 and we are hoping it is just hormones.

Blessings,
Kelly
#4 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
s to you both! It sounds like a wonderful boy you have! I don't know how to help him with his guilt but I think that it is important to show him that his empathy is a WONDERFUL trait to have and that he should never let go of that!

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#5 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 03:23 AM

He is amazingly empathic and you should feel great that he is so loving.
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 PM

DH says that's normal...he was the same way with his dog. But his sister? Throw a book at her head, whatever!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page