Boys puberty book suggestions?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my dd The Body Book for Girls from the American Girl company back when she was 8 or 9 since I saw the changes coming and wanted to prepare her. I'd like to do the same for my ds who will be 9 in a few more months.

Wondering if any of you parents out there had found any good books that help explain puberty for boys. My dh is a wonderful guy but isn't as relaxed about body things like I am and when I brought up talking about things like wet dreams with our son I could see just how uncomfortable he would be with it. I have no problem talking to my son about the stages his body will be going thru but I honestly don't understand them all that well myself...not having gone thru them myself. My dd I had no problems with. So any good books out there that will help this mama help her son grow up with body confidence? Thanks for any suggestions!
#2 of 3 Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 AM

What's Happening to My Body? A Book for Boys

What's Going on Down There?

It's Perfectly Normal

The first one leans more towards the clinical side, very straightforward and factual. The second is relaxed, discuss contraceptives quite a bit - not my favorite, but an easier read for some than the first. The third has a lot of cartoonish drawings in it, covers a lot of information, and can be too liberal for some.
#3 of 3 Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Our favorite is The Teenage Guys Survival Guide
[http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Guys-Survival-Guide-Growing/dp/0316178241/ref=pd_sim_b_4/103-0109448-0365433

My ds is almost 12 and definaitely in the midst of puberty. Dh is not comfortable discussing things with him. I bring things up but I can feel him cringe when I start to ask about "changes" he is experiencing. I ask if he is reading his books and make sure to let him know that he can ask any questions he has. I also make sure I keep everything he says confidential so that he feels safe coming to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page